U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM

49 posts, read 140,427 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, my family is planning to move back to the DC area by the summer of 2010, (if we're able to sell or rent our depreciated house). Anyway, other than people thinking that we are absolutely CRAZY from wanting to move from Charlotte to the DC area, everyone keeps saying, "You know when you move back, things are never the same!"

I would love to hear from people who have moved back to a place they've lived before and things worked out well for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,068,246 times
Some things are the same, which makes you realize why you left in the first place.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
I moved to Miami from Michigan.. I visited for a month on vacation... things were sort of the same , but it made me realize how happy I am to live far away and really made me appreciate my city and how happy I am.

Friends will always be friends, and family will always be family.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,514,471 times
I came back to Seattle after a few years away, but I've never gone back to places where I have a long history of emotional attachment. That's the key, I think: emotional attachment. If you spent 10 or 20 years growing up somewhere, or four years in college or several years in a marriage in one location, you'll have an emotional bond with the area, a bond that's defined by the kind of overall experience you had there.

But what is really "never the same" -- is you. You've changed. People change every minute of their lives. They change definitions, values, priorities, opinions, attitudes, likes, dislikes. When you "go back" to the place that held who you used to be, it's a different you going there. So when you get there, it's a good idea to be a tourist at first, somewhat detached, and let the place welcome you on your new terms...

Just remember that no matter what paths you choose, Life always shows you the best those paths have to offer you. So you can't lose! You will always win!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:18 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,165,985 times
Moved back to the little town I was raised in as a kid. Some things are the same is true. That is what drew me and my family back to my hometown. Schools are great for my kids, and it still has those small town values it had while I was a kid here. My kids can go downtown (all 1 block of it) and go into a couple of stores that I used to go to when I was their age. Barber that cuts their hair is the same guy who cut mine all those years ago. Plus a few of my old school friends never left town and it is great getting to know them again and their families. Sometimes you really CAN go home. Jobs are better here than where we left, cost of living is lower, and wages are higher. All-in-all it has been a very positive move for us and one we should have done years ago.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM

36,644 posts, read 41,926,032 times
When I was 24, I got a job offer that brought me back to my small, rural hometown, after being gone for six years. I lived and worked there for the next six and a half years. I have no regrets, whatsoever. I enjoyed being back near my family, being in a community where I knew lots of people, which made it easier for me to do my job (community journalism), very low cost of living (I rented a huge 2 BR for $300/mo). Has it changed? Yeah. Have I changed? Yeah. But nonetheless, it was a good place to grow up, and it was a good place for me to live as a young adult.

But, I loved my hometown to begin with, and had no baggage regarding going back or living there. You definitely CAN go back, but not everyone WANTS to. I had no problem with it, I'll always cherish those years.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
I went back to cali for Thanksgiving. If there was any reason I should have missed it I discovered it was gone. Loved to see family but started calling OK home then. I'll go for visits but will love the feeling of being home again.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM

I'm just now to the point of referring to my current residence as "home," instead of my hometown. In my entire adulthood, that's just not starting to happen for me.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 AM

293 posts, read 768,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But, I loved my hometown to begin with, and had no baggage regarding going back or living there. You definitely CAN go back, but not everyone WANTS to. I had no problem with it, I'll always cherish those years.
You definitely hit on the key factor here in determining whether or not the move back "home" will be a good one. I think that if you have no baggage about your hometown you will be happy when you go back. On the other hand, I moved away from my small midwestern town because I hated it and there were no jobs there. For some reason I was homesick and also misled by family who claimed they wanted to do the close extended family thing when that's not really the kind of people they are, so I left a place with a great job market just because there were aspects about the area that I didn't like as well as my hometown. (Another point there is to make sure that you're not over-idealizing your hometown, based on happy childhood memories that you can't really recreate as an adult anyway.) Overall it's been a really bad decision for me to move back home, but that is largely because I initially had really good reasons for leaving and those reasons had not changed by the time I returned. If you don't have similar baggage about your hometown, or if there were factors that you wanted to leave that have changed for the better, I think your chances of being happy with the move back are much higher.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Nobody would want to go back to someplace that was bad for them. And even if a place holds good memories, it often happens that people return and find that the shine has worn off, or that they don't see it in the same way they've always seen it in their memories, and are saddened by it. I have a pretty realistic view of my hometown. I'm honest with myself about its flaws, know what I love about it and don't love about it, and have determined that it's still a place I hold dear. For me, my family is for the most part still there, and that's a LARGE factor for me, as we are very, very close. My hometown = my family in my mind, and my family = my hometown.

I would easily live there again, were there more applicable jobs available, but at present, there just are not. With that one thing different, it would be a wonderful place for me to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues