Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,081 times

Advertisements

So I just moved into my new place in NJ after being transferred from Miami. And I'm miserable. To make the whole transfer quick I already started looking for places while I was still in Miami. I found what looked like a nice place in the pictures, talked to the landlord who sounded friendly (and actually is from what I can tell since being up here) and signed a lease til the end of august... yes you got that right. i signed a lease without actually seeing the place...

so i'm sitting here in my room with all my furniture and my stuff still in boxes etc. the house is dirty, smells bad and half the lights aren't working. it's freezing and i can't find a way to turn the heat on. i'd like to just get in my car and never come back to this place...

i learned from this huge, big mistake... never sign a lease for a place you have never seen in person.

i just hope i can talk to the landlord tomorrow and get out of the lease asap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
AW Gee I really feel for you and understand your feelings. Even WORSE it has happened to us and it is in a brand new house. FILTHY with dirt and dust every where The switch plates all sticky with goo from the tape when they painted and too lazy to remove them but covered with paper and tape. GGGRRR The windows were all sprayed on with paint and screens and the house smelled bad from all the new stuff. I caughed and had a sore throat and sinis for weeks. I was so exhausted just from the move doing it all ourselves and DH is 68 and I am 59 so it is not as easy as it used to be. AND we could not place many things because the workers were having to come back and work on the house some more. This is a manufactured home and an expensive one to boot and still all these problems. Later we read that Fleetwood homes are like stinky old dogs. Sigh

Fast forward a couple of months and I have the house clean now it smells fine and I even scraped the paint off the windows. The repair men are still coming in. Sigh and will do a whole tape and texture repair in the spring. So more muck and crap all over. I am hoping to have them pay for clean up on this one since I had to do it the first time.

Anyway I hope you can get your landlord to help you get the place cleaned or send some one in to do it and pay for it. You must be tired from the stress of moving. I know it can be such a let down when the adrenalin shuts off. I imagine you have gone to bed by now. I hope things are better for you in the morning. I always packed a special just for me box with comfort things in it for the first night in a new to us home.

((((((((((( diddiyo)))))))))))))))

Chris

Forgot to say my adoptive father was born in Nutley NJ and I lived in Brooklyn NY when I was a kid. You have moved into my old stomping grounds. Also I think I heard on the news how cold it was there lately. That adds to your woes. May the sun shine tomorrow for you.

Last edited by shades_of_idaho; 01-16-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Adding

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Give yourself some time. I know it is a pain but after you clean it up and make it yours you will be O.K. Moving is very stressful and you probably miss your last home.

You are in NJ now - go find out what a "real" pizza tastes like.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
It stinks learning lessons the hard way!!!

If all the problems can be fixed, and once you've had some decent sleep and time to breath, perhaps it will all work out.

It's hard to believe this, but eventually you'll look back and vividly remember last night and actually laugh about it.

BTW, while you're out finding "real" pizza, also seek out "real" bagels .. I miss them both!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
"This too shall pass"

Hard to remember in the moment for sure, but it is definitely a true statement. I agree with the other posters... this is a life lesson and story that you'll be retelling in the years to come. Try to find the humor in the absurdness of your situation and don't kick yourself too hard. Many of us have made the same mistake!

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
So, diddiyo, you do realize you'll need to chime in here on occasion and let us all know how it's going!!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:15 AM

145 posts, read 301,626 times
I hope things work out for you. Keep your head up and try to find the one thing you do like about the place and try to keep your eyes on that till you solve the rest.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
An apartment can be signed for rather quickly (unlike buying a house). It is worth the amount 20x over by staying in a long-term stay hotel in the new city while quickly finding (and viewing) the future apartment.

If this isn't an option, then find a decent 'franchise' apartment complex and sign the SHORTEST lease possible (even it it costs more).

Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Oh good Lord, I did the VERY SAME THING when I first moved to Orlando. It looked nice online and was a great price....but I ended up in a pretty big non English speaking slum area. Between the hookers, crime, stinky carpet and smudgy walls, I was beside myself.

I was so relieved when I could finally move out. Luckily, I had only signed for a 6 mo lease and I moved out just paying the last month without living there. This is why I post over and over to new movers to live in an extended stay hotel or something similar and put their stuff in storage.....then find a place IN PERSON.

Maybe you could try offering a sublease through Craigs List or the local newspaper. It would be worth losing a few bucks in the transaction than being stuck somewhere you hate living at.

I am so sorry because I really know how you feel.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 AM

854 posts, read 2,863,081 times
i was able to talk to the landlord yesterday. he said if i can find a replacement i can leave... so i already put up ads.

thanks a lot for your kind words everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues