U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,907,566 times

Advertisements

Try and get an idea how much the trailer and contents will weigh, then check the towing capacity of your vehicle in the owners manual.

Since you don't have a hitch, I suspect you don't have other components to aid in towing, such as a transmission cooler. You can cook your transmission on a long tow especially pulling long grades.

When you arrive, have your transmission serviced with new filter and fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,442,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Try and get an idea how much the trailer and contents will weigh, then check the towing capacity of your vehicle in the owners manual.

Since you don't have a hitch, I suspect you don't have other components to aid in towing, such as a transmission cooler. You can cook your transmission on a long tow especially pulling long grades.

When you arrive, have your transmission serviced with new filter and fluid.
Don't forget that a towing pkg. usually contains lower gears in the axles. Even with a hitch and cooler, you cannot tow as much without this. As an example, my Jeep with 3.73 gears can tow 6,500 lbs. With 3.55 gears only 5,000.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,907,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Don't forget that a towing pkg. usually contains lower gears in the axles. Even with a hitch and cooler, you cannot tow as much without this. As an example, my Jeep with 3.73 gears can tow 6,500 lbs. With 3.55 gears only 5,000.
I didn't forget, that is why I recommended referencing the owners manual which should spell it out very clearly how much can be towed based on transmission, axle ratio, engine, towing package or not.

I purchased my truck with a towing package because it does include bigger radiator, transmission cooler, and hitch receiver, wiring, etc. if I ever needed to tow. Now I routinely tow a friends tractor on a trailer, while he tows other equipment with his truck. All I had to do was plug in a few relays, and add a brake controller by just plugging it into the existing harness, part of the towing package.

A co-worker help a friend move, towing a U-Haul trailer about 300 miles, then replaced his transmission as he fried it.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM

154 posts, read 830,863 times
My husband is currently on the road, in our Jeep Cherokee, pulling a 5X8 Uhaul trailer. We had a hitch installed for $380, and rented the trailer for $400. It's been worrying me, reading about all these accidents that happened with SUV's pulling these trailers, or frying the transmission, or jack knifing while coming down a grade, etc!! Is it really that dangerous? I see people pulling these trailers all the time, I didn't realize so many accidents took place. There was an article I just read in the LA Times about how many lawsuits Uhaul has settled with families who had someone get killed by a Uhaul trailer's weight causing their SUV's to roll over! I am going to call my husband on his cell phone and tell him to not exceed 60 mph or go even slower because once the trailer starts fish tailing, there's not much you can do. He's driving from CA to CO, then from CO to IA. It's supposed to rain off and on, in different areas of I-80. Is there any advice I can give him for a safe trip, other than to keep it slow? He's never pulled a trailer like this before.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,095,171 times
Biggest thing about pulling a trailer is how you load it. Load it weight to the rear and it will look like a trout swimming upstream. If it isn't fishtailing already for him, it likely will not start to unless he goes much faster than he has been traveling. I have pulled trailers from tiny ones (5X8 would fit this category) to really large from the day I got my drivers license. Literally the same day, because I had the motorcycle on the trailer behind the vehicle I used to take the road test so I could get my motorcycle endorsement that same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues