U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 AM

154 posts, read 830,274 times

Advertisements

Family and I are leaving California in March, and moving to the Midwest. We looked into all possible moving options and have decided on pulling a Uhaul (or other company) trailer with our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo. One problem, our Jeep Cherokee doesn't have a hitch. Anyone have any advice on where or who to call to get one installed? I know Uhaul has some "kits" that I saw advertised on their website, but I don't know the details of that or if they are going to be expensive, etc.. Can a Jeep Grand Cherokee (V6 4WD) pull a medium sized moving trailer? We don't have a lot of furniture, basically just a Queen bed, crib, some boxes, and a dresser, that's about all we're bringing, that's why we decided on a trailer instead of a big gas guzzling Uhaul truck . Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,909,711 times
If you have a Cole muffler around, they do hitches. There is usually someplace around that does them.......check the Yellow pages, etc in your area.

I do not know about temp. hitches, but if you are going to keep the Jeep, it may be a good thing to have.....perhaps you can write it off as a moving expense.

Frank D.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM

277 posts, read 399,438 times
i would try calling local car shops and see if they install hitches. and if you get a temp hitch, make sure it is installed properly because it could be disastrous otherwise. good luck!!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 AM

485 posts, read 1,526,723 times
Uhaul installs hitches for you.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,935,856 times
Your Jeep will be fine with a small or medium trailer. RV dealerships or anyplace that sells trailers would be a good place to have the hitch installed, and don't forget that you'll need the wiring hooked up for the trailer too. You could also ask the dealership if they have any used trailers. Sometimes its cheaper to buy one and sell it at the other end of the move than to rent.

If you have an automatic transmission, it would also be a good idea to get the fluid and filter changed before your trip.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,934,779 times
We had a Grand Cherokee like yours. Had U-Haul install a Draw-Tite hitch so we could tow our 17 ft. travel trailer. It worked fine with no problems, even in the Sierra Mountains and over the Panamint's in Death Valley. No engine overheating nor brake problems.

Then I thought it might be a good idea to get a transmission oil cooler installed so I went back to U-haul and had them do it. Unfortunately the guy didn't know what he was doing, the oil backed up and the engine caught fire. We were able to get out, unhook the trailer and push it back by hand so it didn't catch fire, but everything in the Cherokee was totally destroyed.

I told the insurance company it was U-haul's fault and if they did an "autopsy" it would probably be easy to prove and they could recover their money. They didn't seem interested in doing this and I didn't care since they gave me more than I originally paid for the Jeep so I was happy.

I will still occasionally rent a trailer or buy moving boxes from U-Haul, but I would never let them touch my vehicle again.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM

154 posts, read 830,274 times
Thanks for all the advice, I decided against having UHaul install anything. Instead, I took my Jeep to a place called Trucksmart, and they installed a hitch for me last week. They didnt' mention anything about the "wiring" though. I paid $377 to have it installed. I guess I need to find out about the wiring. We will rent the trailer from UHaul, but I really didn't want them "installing" anything on my vehicle. After hearing that fire story, I'm glad I chose Trucksmart!! Now we just need to pick a size and rent a trailer, and go buy a ball mount. I do need to find out about the wiring.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,440,042 times
I'm surprised they didn't include wiring too! The hitch is useless without it. I agree with others about the cooler for the transmission. I had a Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 Ltr. six.(It's a straight 6 not a V6). Great engine. You should be able to tow around 5,000 lbs. without a problem. Don't forget not to use overdrive when towing!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,909,711 times
Good info jeepjeep.
I too own a jeep grand cherokee, straight 6, (a 1999).
I'm conservative, and also live in NY.

Cool.

So, are you saying not to use overdrive when driving...that's the little button on the shifter I sometimes accidently push, the light comes on, then i push it again to turn it off. So...keep the light off...or on??

I never tow, but I do have the towing pkg if I need it. I really love my jeep, but i'm no expert in towing or mechanical.

Frank D.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,440,042 times
Keep it off when you're towing. It stops the transmission from hunting for the right gear with a load on it. I also turn it off when I'm in real hilly country for the same reason. I have a 2005 Grand now and they call it "Tow Mode".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues