Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Ohio to NC, and within 24 hours realized it was a huge mistake. Left NC for SC 2 years later, feel a little better, but will not retire here.
no offense, but is 24 hours really enough time to make a judgement like that ?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What didn't you like about Texas besides the problem with your DH's insurance? We have considered the state as a relo area.
Sooooooo many things - namely the traffic and the weather. We were in San Antonio and the traffic was the worst I've ever seen. At least in Los Angeles you can take side streets to get away from traffic. In San Antonio they have a series of one way access roads and the 10 freeway is only two lanes in either directions, as is the 1604 and the 281. Once you're stuck in traffic - you're stuck.

San Antonio had too much rain, cold, and overcast days for my taste. We moved from Palm Desert, where it is sunny almost 365 days a year. Luckily we were able to move back.

In addition to this, and the insurance situation, we all missed our family and our friends and California stuff that you see everyday and just take for granted. There are no Trader Joes, no Albertsons, no In-n-Out Burgers, no Del Taco, no Jack in the Box. Not that I'm a fan of fast food joints - I'm a very healthy eater and avoid those places. I got tired of shopping at HEB.

Also, Texas has the rudest drivers I've ever seen! Granted, I had California plates on my car, but if you want to make a lane change, people will speed up so you can't get over. Texas is where I learned NOT to use turn signals. You don't want to tip them off to what your next move is.

Texas had some things I liked though. Lifetime Fitness, for one. That place is the bomb! The area I live in doesn't have anything like it and I wish we did.

I also miss my dance partner in Texas and the Blue Bubble Ballroom on Broadway off the 410. But I am lucky in that when my Texas partner competes in Vegas or California, we get together and reserve a few dances that we can compete in together - dances our new partners aren't dancing with us.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 AM

288 posts, read 851,686 times
I moved from Wisconsin to Arizona and now live in Illinois. Most of the places I lived had good things about them, but sometimes you just have to put up with one location for a while. If it's just for a few years, it's manageable - just act like you're a long-term tourist. See and do all the fun things you can in that area, because you know it won't last. And then make sure you like where your next home is.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
no offense, but is 24 hours really enough time to make a judgement like that ?
Absolutely, because within 12 hours of arriving I had my first interview. I won't get into it here about what was said to me, how I was treated, but I will say it was against the law.

It put a real bad taste in my mouth, and it happened a few more times, and that was just one of many many bad experiences. Obviously I knew within 24 hours, and I still felt the same way 2 years later and got out.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM

253 posts, read 805,713 times
Default some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopeedew View Post
My home is in Washington state, and I moved to Southern California back 8 months ago to take care of my mom because my dad died unexpectedly. The only thing is that my husband is still up in Washington in our house, because he can't get a job down here with the economy and another reason he doesn't want to move down here...he hates California. But I hate Washington. We have a great marriage and kids but I don't know what to do. I truly hate the rain, but feel like many people live where they don't want to, and maybe I should move back? Any suggestions?

some advice from us military folk, we get shipped all over, and most times, its good and we love it, sometimes, it sucks and were miserable.
BUT.....home is where you hang your hat, and soon your heart will follow.
you cant keep looking at the negative, you got to find the positive.
think back and picture the old old old days, (1800- early 1900 hundreds) people struck out on a wagon trail and stopped when grass was green, water was flowing, and soil was fertile, that was home. they didnt need anything else. or the ones who came over by boat looking for a better life, only to end up in some dirty city living side by side 100 others in a run down apt buiding with barely a dime to their name, they smiled and made the most of it, cuz they had a job and their kids was feed and life was better then the country they left.

im not sayen lump it, im sayen life gives your lemons, make lemon aide, soon you will make new friends and that lemon aide will keep getten sweeter and sweeter. hope everyone finds their peg to hang their hat on.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous4759U View Post
It is now too expensive where I started (10x, just for getting by, California). It is too dangerous where I am (Michigan, also more than 10% unemployment). I cannot live in Texas at all (allergies). Florida is now too crowded and too hot in the summer. ND, MN, SD too cold winter, too hot summer, plus very big tornadoes in 1st switchover, little ones during 2d. D.C. -- government will not hire you w/o degree plus loyal party affiliation. New York -- too cold, too expensive, no job openings. Washington State, now having California type troubles [earthquakes, floods, ice, overflowing rivers, Godzilla etc.] Oregon: they want you to stay out and they are now between CA and WA. If you can take the cold, try Maine, but move during Spring! WY: good until Yellowstone Caldera blows. AZ: heat catastrophes on horizon NM: there's a possibility AK: also good if you are young and can endure 1st winter of darkness, after that it is a breeze. East Coast: How can a Country Boy live in such places? What about Tidal Waves? WV: Okay if you're willing to go native. KY: bluegrass heaven, possum burgers, now unpredictable weather -- no flimsy house, otherwise okay. Pennsylavania and Ohio: can you get a job there? Iowa much better, not too close to a river!!! Just some suggestions. Find a place quick, before it gets really serious....Likely there will be no place to flee for anyone, same story around the world. -- Anonymouse
Good post. However, Alaska is the #1 State for earthquakes.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 18,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Absolutely, because within 12 hours of arriving I had my first interview. I won't get into it here about what was said to me, how I was treated, but I will say it was against the law.

It put a real bad taste in my mouth, and it happened a few more times, and that was just one of many many bad experiences. Obviously I knew within 24 hours, and I still felt the same way 2 years later and got out.
I'm totally with you. I chose to follow my husband's job to Texas, and knew within a week this was the biggest mistake of my life. 10 months later, peace out. I'm done.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
OMG I just figured out how long I've spent here. We came to California in December of 1990 and I was actually able to get out of here for 2 years but I'm back again Long boring story there.

I don't like it here and contrary to what people keep saying I find it a lot harder to get OUT of here than to come back. It's harder for us to save up money here due to the high prices of everything.

We're moving out of state again and I hope it's for good this time.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopeedew View Post
I truly hate the rain, but feel like many people live where they don't want to, and maybe I should move back? Any suggestions?
I knew a couple in a very similar situation. She moved back "home" to San Diego, he stayed in Seattle. People seem to either love Seattle (like I do) or hate it. Of course you eventually won't have a good family if you stay apart. I think CA is a messed-up state, with its high taxes and gov't problems. Maybe you could take the money you'd save by not paying CA state income tax, and spend a week every winter in Hawaii.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Left the gulf coast after Hurricane Katrina. Had been through every hurricane that hit the area since I was born but enough was enough.
Made a stop over in S.C but knew it was just that-temporary. So I enjoyed the year we were there.
Made a Huge leap of faith to move to Alaska for jobs. Biggest mistake and greatest adventure ever! Glad I did it though. Would never even want to visit Juneau again.............sucks!!! Job was a friggen nightmare and the boss was/is a lunatic/psycho freak!!!Cost of living was pricey,the city was remote,weather forecast remains rain,rain,rain then more rain. Did I mention remote and no shopping or cultural venues? And rainy. But is beautiful. When I flew out,the night we moved, I felt like I was escaping Alcatraz.
In Oregon now and love it,love it and love it!! The people are nice, the weather is glorious,the drivers are great, the shopping is wonderful,the cultural scene is awesome,the area is beautiful. Only downside is high un-employment rate but I'm patiently waiting it out.
Life is too short and the world too large to be where you truly hate it.
One more week in Alaska and I was leaving-with or without family. I hated it that much. I refuse to be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues