Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,845 times

Advertisements

I moved to cincinnati for school and to be close to my ex and I hate it. Im still here 6 years later and have been plotting to move since 6 months after getting here...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
When I was younger, my parents moved to Florida, and we had to come along. I didn't want to be here. But, now that I am, I plan to make the most of it.

The Navy also forced me to move. For some reason, they won't let you serve from your own hometown, instead wanting you in some major seaport. And then, you travel halfway across the world to go places you don't want to go. At least in the Navy, you might not have to LIVE there. Just spend a few days there.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
I am still trying to decide if I want to be here or not. I don't dislike it here but I am not loving it either. I could make it work for the most part if I wanted to. The biggest thing for me is the extreme weather. It seems like it is either cold or hot and not much in between. I guess people can tell you how hot it gets but until you live it you are not sure how it's going to affect you. I personally am not adjusting well to triple digits day in and day out. And I didn't do so well with the extreme cold weather below the 30's. Now weather would not be my only reason for going back to CA. I too have ended up in an unstable job situation. But like someone else said CA is much worse off and even at my last job there is a hiring freeze, forced furloughs and threats of layoffs.

So I really have to wait it out and weigh my options. I don't want to make a bad move in a bad economy.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I was younger, my parents moved to Florida, and we had to come along. I didn't want to be here. But, now that I am, I plan to make the most of it.

The Navy also forced me to move. For some reason, they won't let you serve from your own hometown, instead wanting you in some major seaport. And then, you travel halfway across the world to go places you don't want to go. At least in the Navy, you might not have to LIVE there. Just spend a few days there.
Retired from the Navy after 20 years. Enjoy the places they send you as it is a life learning experience, not to mention how much you will appreciate the USA. Family and I lived in several foreign countries for a few years here and there. Terrific experience.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I moved to Florida because that's where my boyfriend wanted to live, he hated the cold in Pa but I hated the Florida heat, I was there 5 years and even stayed on after we broke up because I was in no financial position to go; then I moved to Maine...LOL I guess the colder climate was calling but couldn't find work there so I left that too....it sucks to have to be someplace you hate and it adds a lot of stress to the relationship IMO.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,772 times
I moved to CHicago and hated it and I flew from the place after 4 miserable years. {I had no car, so getting out took a lot longer}

This place, while beautiful, has been the source of a lot of misery and unhappiness for me. [been here 2 and half years } St. Joseph MI... It is ironic, since it is so beautiful here, to have had life go so badly here. I just feel stressed out though, the pace of life is far faster then my last small town, and its extreme wealth next to extreme ghetto poverty and just dont feel comfortable. Do not feel accepted here at all except at church. Plus having 15 year old relationship and marriage fail, didnt do wonders for my feeling good about the place.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I moved to Detroit 5 years ago, for a job. I had just graduated school, I had a 1 year old boy, and a young wife.

We made the best of it, it was a very good opportunity. It was an awesome job, and we planned on moving back south within 2 years. Now things didn't work out the way we had planned. We stayed there for several years longer then we wanted, jobs got hard to come by. The longer we stayed, the more friends we made, and the more life we built.

Finally, this year, we had a chance to move back south. Now we are living just as far away from our family as we were, but we are in an area where we are more socially in tune with the people around us.

Its all about your mindset when you move. Sometimes you've got to go where the work is, and if thats not where you want to be, then you've got to make the best of it.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 PM

36 posts, read 100,961 times
Smile Yup...

Moved from Chicago to Dallas. Then back to Chicago to get my divorce. Ended up staying 2 years in Daley town instead of 3 months. It made me realize just how much I can't stand living in the land of dirty snow. I cried all winter -November to April! I'm moving back "home" next week and I can't wait!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
I had to laugh about the poster from "Squarebanks, Hellaska" and her loathing of the area. Many years ago, very much in love, I accompanied my new fiance on the state ferry from Seattle to Haines for him to complete his master's at U of A in Squarebanks--IN JANUARY. After we drove from Haines to Tok over the pass in 60 below weather and our car broke down twice on the trip, resulting in frostbite while we waited briefly outside both times, I arrived in Squarebanks cold to the BONE, dazed, and confused. The next three months were sheer HELL, plugging my car in to keep the engine block from freezing, wearing three layers of heavy clothing every day, crying inconsolably from the endless dark hours of "daylight," hating the supercilious attitude of locals towards "outsiders," having nightmares every night featuring monsters chasing me, and arguing over trivial things with my beloved. He just couldn't understand why I wasn't TOUGHER like True Alaskan Women!

You guessed it: our relationship didn't survive the spring thaw. As I boarded the plane to return to Washington State, where the endless warm gray drizzle during the winter rarely turned into ICE PELLETS, I shook his hand, wished him luck, and said, "Tom, even the birds up here are smart enough to migrate for the winter!"

Turns out he married a local woman and raised sled dogs for a living, more power to him. I found the right guy IN WASHINGTON--and we both love the rain and the moderate climate.

Different strokes for different folks...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopeedew View Post
My home is in Washington state, and I moved to Southern California back 8 months ago to take care of my mom because my dad died unexpectedly. The only thing is that my husband is still up in Washington in our house, because he can't get a job down here with the economy and another reason he doesn't want to move down here...he hates California. But I hate Washington. We have a great marriage and kids but I don't know what to do. I truly hate the rain, but feel like many people live where they don't want to, and maybe I should move back? Any suggestions?
I have a suggestion: You only live once in this lifetime. Make it count. Don't be unhappy for so long, it will damage your soul and you'll find yourself filled with regret which will burden your life. Compromise. Try a new adventure. Throw caution to the wind if you have to, but make these years the best of your life and keep pushing towards greatness. Easier said than done right?

I did it. I packed my bags and wandered like a gypsy over and over again until I found a nice little place I loved, and I'm sure I am far from done. Go with what makes you feel great, get in the flow of life, and compromise. Find out what your husbands dreams are, what are your dreams? What are your children's dreams? Dig a little deep and become excited at this new chapter in your life waiting to happen.

All it takes, is for one brave person to turn the page, and the story begins again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues