U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,642,297 times
Can I help you resolve something between you and Uhaul?

We used UHaul to move from NM to CO. We were supposed to get the truck at 10am on a Thursday. We didn't get it until 4pm on Friday, and had to drive 2 hours away to pick it up. They offered us 30 days of free storage in NM. Didn't need storage - we were LEAVING THE STATE. They said, oh well. We didn't need the storage in CO either, but that wasn't offered.

We'll be using someone else to move from CO to TX... and I DO warn others on public forums about this type of thing... I wish I'd known before we lost the extra $200 on a hotel and gas to rent from UHaul rather than Budget, to try to save $50.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 AM

8 posts, read 133,250 times
To put things into perspective Scott, let me help with retaking this forum back, but only until After I rebut TexasGirls misinformation that just caused poor Susie77 to add an additional zero to Susie77's check total of her moving expenses.

I just finished laughing til my sides hurt because of Texas Girls poor advice which is based on CONJECTURE after she draws a conclusion from trailer rollover stories she googled on the internet?! On that note...Whose responsible for Susie77's added expense due to BAD ADVICE? If Uhaul was responsible, I would see to it Uhaul reimbursed the misguided or misinformed, but Uhaul wasn't responsible in this case. Go ahead and refer everyone to PENSKE or BUDGET, or whoever...but put your money where your mouth is!!!! Give a written guarantee that PENSKE, or Budget, or whoever...will be problem/issue free. Guarantee it won't break down, Guarantee the truck's condition, its integrity,even just its age...If not....SHUT IT.

It's a fact Texas Girl? Right? you swear by your statement "U-hauls are unsafe and unreliable, bash, bash, blah, blah...." ?

LMAO...To say this is saying that the 200+ BRAND NEW fleet of trucks and trailers released in Florida this week with 3 miles were pre-built unsafe?! The new trailers that have not even rented yet....unreliable? Texas Girl? You didn't say 'most', or even use the word 'some'...

That's not fact! IS IT?!

Yes, unfortunately there are rollovers.

There are thousands of variables for mishaps involved in trailer rentals, But ask yourself this..."why doesn't ANYONE ELSE RENT TRAILERS?"!

Besides the few trivial reasons brought up at a meeting I attended a few years ago, it was mainly because ignorant, or uneducated people out there who don't ask if they don't know how or are unsure,or don't take time TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, or care enough, and take procedure serious enough - exist- are in overwhelming numbers- and still growing. I can actually quote that!

At that time,the competition thought that trailer rentals will only cause more problems for them, these are companies who supposedly care for its customer base?

Does that sound like they care for its customers, or does it sound more like THEMSELVES? The 'competition' can easily produce trailer rentals, but the bottom line: choose not to because they think PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID... I attended several seminars on rental equipment through various rental companies...I once worked at Budget....so what I write IS NOT CONJECTURE, but fact, based on a meeting I attended.

Heres a story for ya, cowgirl...
A very angry man comes in today, screaming...that his rented uhaul trailer is broken, its all over the place, it almost jack knifed etc. and he demanded a new one right there and then! After several of my humblest apologies, as I was checking EVERYTHING...I got stumped,I look over his paperwork,its the right vehicle, etc.

EVERY CONTRACT(including the one in this customers' hands) says in huge letters: LOAD HEAVY IN THE FRONT. LOAD EVENLY...
His instruction book also advised how to PROPERLY load...

I open the trailer...problem found: there's 2 (a pair) 400lb. motorcycles inside, not in the front of trailer,but at the door IN THE BACK, its LOOSLEY tied with STRING and they BOTH sat on the left side of the trailer with nothing at all on the right side...blah blah, this story has a happy ending...

Do you see where I'm going with this Texas Girl?

It was a miracle it didn't roll over within the 2 miles he traveled after loading the bike into the trailer like this.

Heres a Couple o facts for you Texas Girl:
Ratio of trailer rollovers deaths: trailer rentals,... statistics say; its safer to rent a trailer, than Flying> Flying is safer than Driving your personal car>Your chances of dying in your personal vehicle as oppsed to Trailer related death are 800:1 > Odds on you'd be struck by lightining 4 times OR Death from head trauma from slipping in your own bathtub would occur 24 times...before being involved in a Uhaul trailer rollover fatality.

Do you advise against baths next?

Now, DON"T open a can o worms here with..."WELL....hmph...UHAUL DONT MAINTAIN, blah,blah, bash,bash, wine, wine....thats a different forum....

Now , I will help with retaking this forums' lost cause of what this 5' X 8' Uhaul trailer can and CANNOT do. ALSO, bear in mind if you had a Mini-Cooper equiped with a hitch for a bicycle rack, THIS IS ANOTHER VARIABLE...REMEMBER WHEN TOWING WITH YOUR PERSONAL VEHICLE, ALWAYS REFER TO THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER OWNER's MANUAL and OBIDE by the rating of THE HITCH ON YOUR VEHICLE

Volume: up to 230 cu. ft.
Max load: 1,550 lbs.
Gross vehicle weight: 2,800 lbs. max
Empty weight: 1,250 lbs.
Dimensions
Inside dimensions: 9'10" x 4'9" x 4'7" (LxWxH)
Door opening: 3'9" x 4'0" (WxH)

Your towing vehicle:
Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
Must weigh at least 2,700 lbs. (curb weight)
Must have Class 2 tow hitch (3,500 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating)
Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (3,500 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides

Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 AM

8 posts, read 133,250 times
This sounds like a valid complaint, as a UHAUL rep, You are entitled to a $50 reimbursement for a non fulfilled reservation. Condition of this is if you had a CONFIRMED reservation with a credit card , and no truck was provided at the time of reservation. You should also receive reimbursement for your additional cost of hotel stay if infact the reservation as promise was not fulfilled. I'm prohibited of leaving a name and phone number due to this forum policy, but do call the corporate toll free 800 number which infact spells G-O-U-H-A-U-L. Just prefix this with 1-8-0-0. Explain what happened. You can try to call me in TAMPA. I'm the only Eddie in Tampa. I AM NOT HARD TO FIND. Sorry for your trouble sir, I hope you seek, then receive resolution! Being that TAMPA DISTRICT did not handle your reservation and contract, I can only advise you in detail after I hear your side of the incident.
Eddie S

Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 AM

13,544 posts, read 22,420,220 times
closed for mod review

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues