U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 59,970 times
Default What furniture will fit in a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer?

I am moving to GA from MD in March, and am trying to do it as cheaply as possible....I am trying to figure out how much stuff I can cram in a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer. I have gotten rid of almost all of my furniture and only have 3 small pieces to take, plus about 20 boxes but am trying to figure out if my loveseat will fit in the trailer...
Cannot find ANYONE that has used a trailer to move, that has said what they could fit in it...

Any help or feedback would be appreciated!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 PM

7,551 posts, read 10,663,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessinmd17 View Post
I am moving to GA from MD in March, and am trying to do it as cheaply as possible....I am trying to figure out how much stuff I can cram in a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer. I have gotten rid of almost all of my furniture and only have 3 small pieces to take, plus about 20 boxes but am trying to figure out if my loveseat will fit in the trailer...
Cannot find ANYONE that has used a trailer to move, that has said what they could fit in it...

Any help or feedback would be appreciated!
I suppose any furniture that is less than 5 ' wide and 8 ' long would fit.

I guess you could take crude square footage measurements (be conservative) of everything, total it and see if it would fit in the square footage of the van.

Or draw lines with tape next to a wall and move everything into that space.

Its really hard for anyone other than you to tell.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM

994 posts, read 1,957,215 times
I imagine your love seat will fit no problem and possibly even across the width as opposed to the length. Figure out what has more weight- the boxes or the other small furniture. If its the boxes put them on the trailer floor and place the furniture (I am assuming tables) on top. Also- make sure your mattress will fit if you are moving one (sometimes this is the first item to go in since you have to have room to rop it up and if its a queen it won't fit through the opening width wise (the 5ft width typically means about 4'6" clear when you subract the rails for the door and such.)

Also try and put most of the weigh over the axel of the trailer (evenly distributed on either side.)

I've moved enough to have made nearly every mistake and am not thrilled with the prospect of ever moving again. If you are really concerned tape out the area of trailer (5x8) on the floor and start stacking the boxes inside for an idea of how it will fit. Be strategic and use the height as well.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 PM

154 posts, read 589,951 times
I am also moving from CA to IA and we plan on renting a Uhaul trailer. We have no idea what size. If you have an SUV that can haul a trailer, it is the cheapest way to go. We are trying to get rid of everything that we don't "need" and just take the stuff that there's no way we can do without. 5 X 8 seems small to me. I think my storage unit is 6 X10 or something and we have it full. And there is barely any furniture in there! Just a bed, crib, boxes and a big rug. I don't know, I think the tape thing on the floor is the only way you can really tell if your stuff will indeed fit in a 5X8 space. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 PM

6,270 posts, read 12,206,807 times
Default guys-please-NO U-Haul

I know you don't know me so what I say can go in one ear and out another; but seriously U-Haul is not reliable. I wouldn't want anyone broken down on the side of the road anywhere.
Do your homework on U-Haul---they are reallllllllly bad vehicles.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 133,250 times
Restlessinmd17...You may have completed your move already, just saw your post now, sorry if a bit too late. All your seat cushions or anything that can compress (like a bag of clothes, pillows, etc.) take out and leave for last. Loveseat first. then fill in around it.

WOW Dreamweavin! Nobody asked you how you FEEL about UHAUL here! Keep to the subject, and get over whatever you need to get over with Uhaul. Find some peace. Can I help you resolve something between you and Uhaul?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 AM

2,902 posts, read 6,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbatnyc View Post
Restlessinmd17...You may have completed your move already, just saw your post now, sorry if a bit too late. All your seat cushions or anything that can compress (like a bag of clothes, pillows, etc.) take out and leave for last. Loveseat first. then fill in around it.

WOW Dreamweavin! Nobody asked you how you FEEL about UHAUL here! Keep to the subject, and get over whatever you need to get over with Uhaul. Find some peace. Can I help you resolve something between you and Uhaul?
Foxbat,

Again, I know you are a U-haul dealer. That is fine. I appreciate the help you gave Restless.

It would be better if you represented yourself as a person in the business. The fact is, at least here, that U-haul has a bad rep. Those people have a right to their opinion, please do not bully them. You guys have some ground to make up....you can do that by being helpful. More honest honey...not vinegar.......

Frank D.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,023 posts, read 7,743,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbatnyc View Post

It's a FACT Jack! U-hauls are VERY unreliable and UNSAFE!! Just google roll overs with U-haul trailers and see all the crap that comes up. I was so close to renting a u-haul trailer until I read all the crap about them and how unsafe they are. Sorry, but I still have a life to live and don't want it cut short traveling over 2200 miles dragging a trailer behind me that is prone to roll overs.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 56,281 times
OMG! I was planned to rent a U-haul... then I googled rollover U-haul and learned about how dangerous they are! I had no idea... I'm definitely not getting on now... maybe I'll rent a truck and attach my vehicle to it.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:06 PM

69 posts, read 303,594 times
I don't mean to hi-jack this hi-jacked thread, but back to the topic of what fits in a 5' X 8' trailer. I hope this means something to you but this is how moving companies figure out weight and dispatch their trucks accordingly. They go by cubic feet measurement. Your trailer is 5' X 8', that equals 40' square feet. How high is it inside? I am going to guess it is 5' tall inside. Therefore it measures 200' cubic feet. Since the 1930's, household goods has averaged within 10% of 7 pounds per cubic foot, therefore by household goods standards that is 1400 lbs using every cubic inch. I wouldn't plan on that much actually fitting inside however. 1400 lbs is around one and a half rooms of furniture in reality depending on which rooms or what type of furniture. That is about as specific as someone can get without knowing exactly what you want to haul.

I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues