U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,958,338 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who will be moving cross-country next month just recommended this site. It's kind of like Ebay for moving bids.

You post your inventory that you will need to move, along with beginning and destination zip codes. Then various companies bid on your move, creating competition and low prices. Each of the companies have a rating, much like vendors on Ebay, so you can learn more about them from prior jobs.

Sounds great. Anyone use them before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM

19 posts, read 39,702 times
Haven't used them myself. I'd be a little hesitant about posting a list of all my household goods in a public area -- hope they have really good hacker protection!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Haven't used them myself. I'd be a little hesitant about posting a list of all my household goods in a public area -- hope they have really good hacker protection!
You don't give your address, just your zip. And just things like: 3 beds, a wall unit, dining table/chairs, etc...

Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 15,675 times
Before using any website such as uShip, check out a website called Stop Illegal Trucking; [url]http://[URL[/url]="http://www.stopillegaltrucking.com"]www.stopillegaltrucking.com[/URL]. It is a website that has a lot of information concerning use of illegal and uninsured transporters. uShip has a lot of illegal transporters registered and the site does not prescreen of their transporters.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM

292 posts, read 607,081 times
I own a REAL transport company- DM me and I will get you a quote. Uship is honestly, no offense, for people who really dont want their car in one peice. I also have a company I work with based out of Florida who does Nationwide Moves. I have tons of references- and even if you dont want to go with me- I can recommend strongly that you dont use Uship- Ive heard too many stories of the car never getting there- if you know what I mean. By all means- check it out- but in this industry= you get what you pay for.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

I didn't go with Uship after all. The quotes were all very high, and I didn't feel comfortable with the joe@hotmail-dot-com type communications.

I ended up going with a local insured/bonded vanline and a 5 star rated auto shipper. Hopefully it'll all work out!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,619 times
Actually we are using Uship to go from Idaho to AK

we've had 2 people bidding on moving our stuff and we are going w/a guy who actually has it as a business (we refuse to sustain corporate movers when the little man is trying to make it in these economic times)

We didn't go w/one because they didn't have DOT number.

the one we are going w/is registered w/DOT and is insured for 750K and is a business he runs from his home. I verified that he is w/DOT myself and I know his name and address (all that info was provided by DOT).

His price is GREAT for such a move (1 bdrm apt all the way to Kenai) and he is charging 2100 and comes w/insurance.

I declined bids from actually moving lines (northwest etc.) You people need to help people that are in the same position as the rest of us and are simply trying to make a living.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,898,478 times
Default Buyer beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post

Anyone use them before?
I used Uship. My advice would be to proceed with caution: don't skimp, get references, DOT numbers & check them out, ask to see proof of insurance, etc. Grill them - any real transporter will have all the paperwork and be happy to show it to you. Anyone that ignores or skirts an question - strike off the list immediately. "Real" ones will also have a real business name and you can check them out via the BBB or similar.

You can get hold of reliable/honest/professional transporters via the site, but it's just as easy to end up with "one man and his truck" who is not properly insured, etc. etc.... so beware.

(If your move is heading towards the Austin, TX area I can happily recommend the transporter we used. He was just simply great - and a super, super nice person as well. He's based out of Bryan/College Station.)

Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM

399 posts, read 763,964 times
I'm seriously trying to consider starting up a dog hauling company but it would have to be transporting 1-3 different sized dogs since I will be driving my CRV. Any suggestions? I'm still having difficulty navigating the website and it's sort of confusing.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,643,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I'm seriously trying to consider starting up a dog hauling company but it would have to be transporting 1-3 different sized dogs since I will be driving my CRV. Any suggestions? I'm still having difficulty navigating the website and it's sort of confusing.
Don't forget that in addition to a DOT registration, you must also be licensed by the USDA as a transporter. The USDA often places ads for transporters just to nab unlicensed operators. The fines are huge when caught. Some states also have their own license requirements.

I have a good friend that owns an animal (pet) transport business, so let me know if there is something specific your need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues