U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,485,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Allforcats: Methinks Luther is a troll looking for business. Ignore him.
Yes, oh wise Bobmulk, I agree with you. But the OP might not know that, and foolishly believe him. Plus. I enjoy standing up for my experience, judgment and integriy! Thanks for your backup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM

280 posts, read 1,023,490 times
We moved the contents of a small, not very heavily furnished 3 br house, about 1150 square feet, with loading and unloading and some packing from North Carolina to Washington State (about $2,700) for around $7k using one of the major moving companies. It was much cheaper than we thought it would be, but I guess our stuff didn't take up much room and didn't weigh all that much. It did take them about 2 weeks to get here though and one box ended up missing.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 AM

71 posts, read 461,687 times
To defend my position, I'm not soliciting anyones business. I am new to the forum and I want to establish a good reputation. That is what is important to me. Please don't call me, check out my blog and you will see my position on how to protect yourself against predator movers.

I am not motivated to do anything but help someone. Don't contact me for anything but advise. I am trying to establish myself as an unbiased, expert opinion on moving. With 26 years of experience in the business with four of the biggest names in the industry, I am an expert more than anyone else here. A million years ago, I owned my own truck and drove cross-country for Allied, United and Mayflower agents. I did that for 16 years! I have been an operations manager, warehouse manager, and a national account sales consultant.

That said, a little known fact is there is a specific tariff that all movers must use. Every mover must abide by their tariff that is on file with the DOT. I mis-spoke slightly when I said an exact price. To be more clear, I could give you an exact price for an exact weight. You must have a visual survey done first! I do not purport to know what the weight of anyone's household goods are. Once any survey is performed, any reputable mover will offer a guaranteed not to exceed price where you know the exact amount a move can cost for that estimated weight. If the weight goes over, it will cost you the guaranteed amount because the price is guaranteed. If the weight comes in less than the survey, it will cost you less and you will know the exact amount of your credit per hundred pounds. That is what I meant by exact pricing. Nothing vague.

Forgive me for not being more clear for the sake of writing something short in my previous post.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,390,040 times
Actually we paid a little less than $8500 to move a three BR house, a woodworking shop (BIG heavy tools), a ceramics shop (lots of heavy molds) and 23 years' worth of collected yard and household goods. We drove our cars (to have them moved would have raised the price exponentially) and took our plants and dogs, but they moved everything else. Most of our furniture was antique, not pressboard knockoffs, and HEAVY.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,914,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Luther View Post
To defend my position, I'm not soliciting anyones business. I am new to the forum and I want to establish a good reputation. That is what is important to me. Please don't call me, check out my blog and you will see my position on how to protect yourself against predator movers.

I am not motivated to do anything but help someone. Don't contact me for anything but advise. I am trying to establish myself as an unbiased, expert opinion on moving. With 26 years of experience in the business with four of the biggest names in the industry, I am an expert more than anyone else here. A million years ago, I owned my own truck and drove cross-country for Allied, United and Mayflower agents. I did that for 16 years! I have been an operations manager, warehouse manager, and a national account sales consultant.

That said, a little known fact is there is a specific tariff that all movers must use. Every mover must abide by their tariff that is on file with the DOT. I mis-spoke slightly when I said an exact price. To be more clear, I could give you an exact price for an exact weight. You must have a visual survey done first! I do not purport to know what the weight of anyone's household goods are. Once any survey is performed, any reputable mover will offer a guaranteed not to exceed price where you know the exact amount a move can cost for that estimated weight. If the weight goes over, it will cost you the guaranteed amount because the price is guaranteed. If the weight comes in less than the survey, it will cost you less and you will know the exact amount of your credit per hundred pounds. That is what I meant by exact pricing. Nothing vague.

Forgive me for not being more clear for the sake of writing something short in my previous post.
Well, if no business is solicited, (which would be a violation of the TOS anyway)....and if good useful, "backed up with facts" type info is given, I say that perhaps first impressions thought by some might have been hasty.

Moving is a scary thing.....hard to have the upper hand, because usually it is not something one has a lot of experience in. That, and the fact that you are trusting all of your stuff, valuables, memories, etc to strangers.....

Any good info is welcomed.

Frank D.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,914,275 times
Scott, for those who may be leery of a newcomers first posts, perhaps you may want to build reputation by assisting those who have questions about the moving experience with short helpful answers in some of the other threads.

thanks, Frank D.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:44 AM

71 posts, read 461,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Scott, for those who may be leery of a newcomers first posts, perhaps you may want to build reputation by assisting those who have questions about the moving experience with short helpful answers in some of the other threads.

thanks, Frank D.
Thanks FF! I am new to the group and I'm still learning. I didn't want to offend anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues