U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 AM

71 posts, read 128,209 times

Advertisements

I am making a move from MA to NV at the end of March. I would like to tow the car and just take a truck. I have heard that no companies have backseats to put the pets, kids, etc. Is this true? I have already reserved a Penske truck online but am unsure if it has a backseat. If not, I'll have to have the sister drive the truck, and I the car w/the dogs just seems like a waste to me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM

11,151 posts, read 9,542,118 times
I think if you get a large enough truck (like a 26-footer?), it'll have a back seat. Unfortunately, the smaller trucks that most personal movers use have just the front seat .....

Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM

70 posts, read 230,402 times
No back seat, but the Penske trucks I've seen have two seats and a space in the middle. That's where I'm going to have my dog ride

Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,573,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
I am making a move from MA to NV at the end of March. I would like to tow the car and just take a truck. I have heard that no companies have backseats to put the pets, kids, etc. Is this true? I have already reserved a Penske truck online but am unsure if it has a backseat. If not, I'll have to have the sister drive the truck, and I the car w/the dogs just seems like a waste to me. Thanks.
As long as its only you the smaller trucks should be fine with the dogs in the front seat. If the dogs are large there could be a problem. But if you do need a back seat area, the 26 foot Penske trucks are actually a very good value over the smaller sized ones with the gas engine. Sometimes it works out better to bring more of the stuff that you might replace in a larger truck if the replacement cost will add up too.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,624,254 times
As far as I know, no rental trucks have back seats. Before one of our moves we looked for one because we needed space for our large dog.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:48 PM

12,138 posts, read 22,079,631 times
I've never seen a moving truck of any size with a back seat. I just rented a Penske 26' truck and they for sure don't have one. Uses to drive one of their 2006 models with a 16' box every day and they don't have one either.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 PM

5,000 posts, read 4,046,789 times
I don't know if they're still in use, but I recommend a walk-through. There's a door between the two seats so you can put them back there at toll booths, gas stations, etc. I drove almost 2000 miles with two cats and it worked fine. There was an partlly enclosed area just behind the door where I had a litter box, food water, etc. with ample room separating them. It would be very useful for dogs if you were stopped: it might very well save their lives.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,288,215 times
Years ago, U Haul used to have crew cab (a second bench seat behind the driver's seat) International trucks, but i haven't seen one for years and I'm sure they're long since been retired. I don't believe any of the rental agencies offer anything but a single bench seat in their trucks. The vans like Happy in Wyoming suggests would be the only alternative that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues