Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times

Advertisements

I would apply at smaller town jobs in the midwest and then go move to wherever hires you.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
My recommendation is going back to school and make some money

Why settle for less? You only get one life.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM

65 posts, read 94,968 times
Sorry, its not about money, I'm happy if I can pay my rent and order a pizza without worrying.. I am fine with manual labor, allows my mind to ponder the truly important things while my body is on autopilot!! I just turned 40, and DEFINITELY NOT into the school thing, when I was younger, couldn't get out fast enough, took my GED when I was 17, and never looked back.. my main criteria is plenty of rain, NO desert, lots of lower paying jobs easy to get, and bike riding friendly since I have NEVER owned a vehicle, and don't intend on ever driving!!! If I can find a place like that, I'll be ok.. Can be a small town or even a big city, if it fits my needs, its cool...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 PM

270 posts, read 504,521 times
Well, I guess I'll promote my own city. Come to Mobile, Alabama, a diverse, multicultural, laid back city with bike trails, botanical gardens, beautiful scenery, night life, museums, and other things. The city is also just a few miles away from coastal Alabama's white sand beaches and fabulous seafood. Mobile also has traitions, customs, and festivals unique to the city. We also have a relatively low cost of living. Also, check out the rural areas outside of Mobile if you want something of even lower cost. Living in the country is a nice bet. It might cost a little bit to set up, but then all you have to do is farm and live off of the land . It's a little more efficient than city life. Send a direct message if you want more information. Also, yes, Mobile is a subtropical climate, so it gets PLENTY of rain! Bring your umbrella.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:19 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
As a former resident of Alabama, I'll second the suggestion of Mobile. The terrain is fairly flat, and you can get around on a bicycle (even a 1 speed bike) in most parts of town with few problems. Because it's flat, there are plenty of side streets with little car traffic, which are better to ride a bike on than the main streets.

I like the mid town section of Mobile - not the cheapest place to live but nice tree lined streets and everything you need for everyday living is within easy reach by foot or bike. They have a city bus network, not a great one, but it covers a lot of the city and if you learn the routes and schedule it might come in handy at times. The key is to be somewhere near a few of the main routes. If you are willing to work hard and have a good work ethic you will probably be able to find some work. Utility bills are not bad, although you will probably need to run the AC fairly often from May to September. Winter is pretty mild, with cold snaps mixed in with mild days that can warm up in the 60s or even 70s.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Kansas is plenty cheap; aren't some places giving away land to people who move there?

Oregon or Alabama for lots of rain.

North Carolina is no longer cheap, overall.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 AM

378 posts, read 1,206,887 times
How about Lexington, Ky or Ocala, FL for jobs taking care of horses? I think both those areas are low cost, although I am not sure how bike-friendly they are. Horse farms usually provide their employees with a place to live, since they have plenty of land. Just a thought.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
I currently work in a non-profit industry, officially I am a 'kennel tech", I clean kennels. Traditional its a low paying industry anyway.. I am looking for a very poor-friendly city to move to in the usa.... Any suggestions? I am open to any and all ideas. I currently reside in las vegas, nv... And need a more poor-friendly city(or large town), in america to move to. I am in my mid 30's, and enjoy a quiet place(if possible). I don't need culture, just a cheap place to live, and lots of lower paying jobs.... Please, some suggestions! Thanks...
You don't say how old you are, but unless you are 80 there is still time for you to improve your education/life so that you don't have to live in "poor friendly" cities all your life and be limited to poop-scooping as a career option.

My suggestion would be to find a job with a Veterinarian who also boards dogs. Do a stellar job and get to know the Vet as well on a personal level as you can. Start learning about what the VET TECHs do. Watch them, ask questions - educate yourself.

Once you have learned a little more about it, talk with the Vet and suggest that you can do a few of the jobs that the VET TECH does. Get to know the Vet better and show him/her that you are very interested in your job and learning more.

Then at some point in time, after you have been there two or three years, never missed a day of work, always volunteered to do more than what is asked of you, worked to learn as much about the VET TECH job as you possibly can - have a meeting with the Vet and tell him/her that you really want to learn more about the business and get out of the kennel and into the practice. Ask him/her if he would PAY FOR YOU TO GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A VET TECH, and that you will PAY HIM/HER BACK if he/she does help you out with this.

Most likely, if you have become an invaluable employee and shown them that you are very anxious to better yourself, 99 out of 100 employers will be willing to help you out with your training.

Then you will have a great skill that will bring you more income. You can also do some other work such as dog sitting, dog walking, offer to pick up and transport animals to the Vet (for a fee) for busy working folks who cannot find the time to do it, or do not want to take off work, you can also learn to be a DOG GROOMER if you want.

There are so many options available to you. Don't just give up and say. "I'm going to be poor forever" because if you do, that is exactly what is going to happen. You have to work to improve your quality of life.

In answer to your question. I would not look for "poor friendly" towns to live in. I would look for towns with a very upscale population because they are the ones that board their dogs. You can live outside of any large city and the cost of living is lower. I would shoot for Boston, or Dallas, or some other town where there is a lot of high-end money folks with dogs.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 AM

410 posts, read 833,202 times
I have been researching this for awhile as I am looking to leave Florida. Here is what I have found if you are looking for cheap rent (I consider "cheap rent" under $ 500)

1. avoid coastal cities like the plague. East coast, west coast, they are always more costly.
2. avoid rural towns. Who cares if rent is cheap if you can't find a job.
3. Texas (specifically Houston and Dallas) has really low rents and jobs, as does Indianapolis and Columbus, OH. Atlanta is not quite as cheap, but more affordable than other cities and still has some job availability. Same with Milwaukee - fairly reasonable, still a few jobs.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Tennessee is cheap. We are moving there in less than 3 weeks! We are SOO excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues