U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,880,645 times

Advertisements

The answer is same whether the post is 3 years or 10 years later. A sewer system is owned and maintained by a city. A septic system is owner maintained as it is a waste disposal unit for one family. It is only as good as the field tiles.

If the field tiles are not cracked or filled with tree roots it should work as well as a new system. I'm pretty sure of this as mine is 50 years old. Look in the yellow pages of a local phone book to find a person who installs septic systems.
They need to inspect yours.

The dumbest thing anyone can do is treat a septic system like the city sewer system. Grease and food do not go into the septic tank and neither do toys, baby wipes, or any manufactured female products. I personally use natural, biodegradable products such as laundry soap, shampoo, body gel, and those marked "septic safe." It is recommended the septic tank be emptied (pump out) and inspected every 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I appreciate the advice!
I should also mention, that this property has had a septic/sewer on it before, but its been years since anyone has lived on it. Would you recommend for us to try to find the old one, or spend the money to get a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,817 times
It's late in 2014 in Florida, and two MH transport companies have indicated about $3000+ for a single-wide and approximately double that for a double-wide. Mileage can be part of the package within a certain radius or strictly per mile. I was quoted about $4/mile to $8/mile depending on what is transported.

If the MH includes modular screened/enclosed porches, etc., the mover needs to have a flatbed trailer. Cost quoted here was around $275/wall for those "Florida-type" sunrooms and $1+/sq foot for carports. Site-built/heated add-on rooms are much more expensive because they have to be specially inspected and permitted; I was quoted about $3000. In our area glass sunroom windows now have to be vinyl -- replacement required if it's to be moved.

I'm told MH buying is picking up finally, new and used, so best wishes to those looking now. We have a 3500 square foot home elsewhere, but I'm continually amazed at how inexpensively great comfort can be obtained with a MH (I'm typing this in our current "fishing shack" MH).

I called our county offices before purchasing land and MH for all applicable regulations, including both land development requirements and age and style restrictions for the MH itself, and learned a lot from their very helpful people. The transport company is required to pull the permits, and all requirements, including any extra permits for things like tree removal, and definitely for well and septic if applicable, will have to be met or variances granted -- first.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:33 PM

13,831 posts, read 25,181,136 times
Do pay to have your septic inspected. They can be very expensive to replace or repair. If you have a water well, have that checked out too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues