Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM

18 posts, read 114,565 times

Advertisements

The craptacular economy is the catalyst for my move from FL to CT

It's a 1,200+ trip for me, and if I am going to drive that far I want some cruise control for the highway.

Right now the only trucks I know of that have cruise control are the Penske 22' and 26' trucks (both are diesel). I would be towing a car on a trailer as well.

Anyone know of other truck renting companies that have cruise control? I know UHaul doesn't but I wouldn't get them for such a long trip anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 05:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Just asked my resident "expert" who's not aware of cruise control in any of the self-move trucks he's driven.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM

16 posts, read 104,242 times
In January we moved from Ohio to FL. We rented a Penske 26' truck and was also towing a trailer with a pick-up truck loaded on it. The cruise control worked quite well except when going through 'hilly' country and really made the drive less tiring and more enjoyable.

This doesn't answer your question but is more of 'vote' for renting a truck with cruise control.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Actually, I'm surprised there would be cruise control in ANY rental truck. Seems to me the company would want its (usually semi-inexperienced) drivers to be constantly alert, rather than "relaxed" due to not having to constantly watch their speed.

That said, however, I'd happily rent a truck with cruise control for my next move .....

Old 03-07-2009, 03:45 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Actually, I'm surprised there would be cruise control in ANY rental truck. Seems to me the company would want its (usually semi-inexperienced) drivers to be constantly alert, rather than "relaxed" due to not having to constantly watch their speed.

That said, however, I'd happily rent a truck with cruise control for my next move .....
Me, too!

We didn't know there were any rental trucks with cruise control - thanks to this thread, now we do, and believe me, next time we move we will look first for trucks with it!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Although I'm a trucker by trade, we rented a Penske 26' truck to move our stored furniture from OR to OH. Couldn't imagine driving ANYTHING that far without cruise control. Used wisely, cruise control will help you stay more alert, maintain a steady speed and increase your feul economy slightly.

Squeezeboxgal, in this trucker's humble opinion, the two scariest drivers on the highway are:

1. The driver of a rental truck

2. The driver of the car following the rental truck. They usually can only see the back door of the rental truck and are willing to die trying to keep any other vehicle from getting between them and said rear door...

Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
You really should rethink that one. A cruise control can be a hazard. People are going to cut in front of you, break fast for a turn off, etc. And you will need to be alert to people driving slow. A curve in the highway can role or at least make you grab the seat with your butt. IF you misjudge it going to fast. Stopping a truck that size loaded with a towed trailer or car can be hard.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
You really should rethink that one. A cruise control can be a hazard. People are going to cut in front of you, break fast for a turn off, etc. And you will need to be alert to people driving slow. A curve in the highway can role or at least make you grab the seat with your butt. IF you misjudge it going to fast. Stopping a truck that size loaded with a towed trailer or car can be hard.
Didja see the part where I said "...used wisely..."???

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM

146 posts, read 437,453 times
Ok my issue is this...I have a car, and while going on steep highway inclines, my car jumps from 3,000 rpm (80 m.p.h.) to 4 or 4,500 rpm while on cruise control going at the same speed. I dont like that. How do I get that to stop?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM

146 posts, read 437,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
You really should rethink that one. A cruise control can be a hazard.
stop being a pessimist. Cruise control is there for a reason. Trust me on this one, had it been so bad they would have taken off the roads long time ago just as they do with every other pessimisstic situation.

I dont like the idea of going 65, to 70, to 75, and back to 65 on a 20 mile stretch. I rather stay at 70. Unless its a work zone, coast it and save gas= save the environment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues