U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,075 times

Advertisements

Well, for small local moves it is customary to tip around 15 % of total move cost. some greedy movers might ask for 20 % regardless of move size, that might get as high as % 300 - $ 400 for a move of a 3-4 bedroom house!!!!! that's way too high.
I would recommend a range of $ 30-50 each mover for a full day work, so if you have a small (half day) job around $ 15 each mover will be good.
Make sure to verify with foreman (head of the crew) that tip is being split equally between the guy.
--
Best Regards,

Guy Drori
BestGuy Moving Services
***MOD CUT**

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 03-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: no advertising allowed

Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM

71 posts, read 460,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGuy Moving View Post
Well, for small local moves it is customary to tip around 15 % of total move cost. some greedy movers might ask for 20 % regardless of move size, that might get as high as % 300 - $ 400 for a move of a 3-4 bedroom house!!!!! that's way too high.
I would recommend a range of $ 30-50 each mover for a full day work, so if you have a small (half day) job around $ 15 each mover will be good.
Make sure to verify with foreman (head of the crew) that tip is being split equally between the guy.
--
Best Regards,

Guy Drori
BestGuy Moving Services
***MOD CUT**
That is incredible amount to tip a mover. Never tip a mover based on a percentage of the cost of the job. I don't know where you work, but I have worked in the Northeast and the South and even in NY, people don't tip based on the price of the job. And never tip anyone if they ask for it. Movers shouldn't be working for tips. They should be working for pride in what they do, and as a result when they provide a good job, they get tipped. I would fire, on the spot, anyone who asked for a tip.

That is just my opinion.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM

2,751 posts, read 9,558,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Luther View Post
That is incredible amount to tip a mover. Never tip a mover based on a percentage of the cost of the job. I don't know where you work, but I have worked in the Northeast and the South and even in NY, people don't tip based on the price of the job. And never tip anyone if they ask for it. Movers shouldn't be working for tips. They should be working for pride in what they do, and as a result when they provide a good job, they get tipped. I would fire, on the spot, anyone who asked for a tip.

That is just my opinion.
agree. Part of the cost of the move is the distance. The guys that load usually don't unload on a long distance move. We tipped $40 each and $100 to the driver since he was with the truck for 3 days. Everyone was happy...maybe too happy!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM

955 posts, read 3,314,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Well I was in the USAF for 24 years and moved 12 or more times. I have never tipped a mover. We will buy them lunch and provide drinks for them. I can't imagine why you would need to tip them.

YES!!! seems like everyone is "required" a tip these days!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 13,305 times
Default How Could you tip your waitress and not your mover???

***MOD CUT***
I was a mover while I was in college and talk about a tuff job!
The pay is not the best, and although most of the customers were nice, clean people...many were not!
We would really work our asses off to complete these moves as fast as we could to save our customers time and money, in hopes of a tip.

Think about, it is a service related industry.

You tip your server...you tip you valet...you tip your barber...

Plain and simple YOU TIP YOUR MOVER!

These guys have to disassemble and reassemble your furniture.
carefully blanket wrap and move every thing you own, load and unload the truck, and move everything into your new home.
The whole time, a good mover will be thinking I need to move quick,
becareful and deal with anything that comes up, to keep this customer happy and stress free.

Be a good person and grab some cold drinks for the person doing the job you dread! And 20 bucks wouldnt hurt either!

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 04-14-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: no bashing allowed

Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM

253 posts, read 706,829 times
Default i have to agree with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Well I was in the USAF for 24 years and moved 12 or more times. I have never tipped a mover. We will buy them lunch and provide drinks for them. I can't imagine why you would need to tip them.
.....faabala and joey2000.....
are these movers working for free or did you pay them the rate set by them when you got your estimate??? If they are already charging you a rate, why do you need to pay them "extra", especialy such big tips??? I can see it MAYBE if while they was delivering your stuff, and you asked them to move some things to a certain spot verses just piled up cuz it was to heavy for you, then yes, a bit of gratitude would be fine, but in most cases, your already paying them alot to move you.
tips are getting crazy i agree, i can see tipping your resturant server, they make LESS then minium wage, the tips make them even to min. But anyone making min wage or above is already getting paid to do thier job.
tipping is over rated, what ever happened to good old days, like faabala said....lunch and soda's, or baked goodies to the mail man, etc. thats what i do, and my mail, trash, ups, etc all enjoy it, and some even hint to their favs for next time!!!
you dont have to pay(tip) extra, not like they will break your stuff over it, thats what insurance is for and a big complaint to their boss.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM

71 posts, read 460,700 times
Default I kindly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
.....faabala and joey2000.....
are these movers working for free or did you pay them the rate set by them when you got your estimate??? If they are already charging you a rate, why do you need to pay them "extra", especialy such big tips??? I can see it MAYBE if while they was delivering your stuff, and you asked them to move some things to a certain spot verses just piled up cuz it was to heavy for you, then yes, a bit of gratitude would be fine, but in most cases, your already paying them alot to move you.
tips are getting crazy i agree, i can see tipping your resturant server, they make LESS then minium wage, the tips make them even to min. But anyone making min wage or above is already getting paid to do thier job.
tipping is over rated, what ever happened to good old days, like faabala said....lunch and soda's, or baked goodies to the mail man, etc. thats what i do, and my mail, trash, ups, etc all enjoy it, and some even hint to their favs for next time!!!
you dont have to pay(tip) extra, not like they will break your stuff over it, thats what insurance is for and a big complaint to their boss.

I think what Joe M was trying to say is, as in any service-related industry, you should tip for good (or great) service. If someone goes above and beyond your expectations, it is fair to assume a tip would be acceptable. Now with jobs like waitresses, etc that need to get tipped in order to make a fair wage, that is not the case with movers. They are getting paid a fair wage already. You're right, movers are getting paid an agreed upon rate for services provided. But as anyone who has had a bad move can attest, there is definitely a difference between good service and bad service. A lot of times it has nothing to do with how much anyone is getting paid. There is pride in your work or there isn't. The people who have pride in their work and provide a good job to a customer, deserve to get tipped. Otherwise, they are getting paid the same as someone who is doing a lousy job.

Before I get all the responses about personal accountability....I agree. The people who do a good job will work longer than those who do not. But when it's my stuff they're carrying, I don't care about big picture issues. I want them to do a good, if not great job with good, if not great attitudes.

Tips for movers are never mandatory, nor with many folks here are they considered customary. They certainly are appropriate if it is in your heart to do it however.

I'm not saying tip them, or don't tip them. If you ask what I would do...(seeing how you asked :-))I would tip them for good service. I just would never say to anyone "Dont tip your mover because you don't have to."

That is just one man's opinion.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM

89 posts, read 213,421 times
I'm glad I happened upon this thread, because I would likely never have thought to tip the movers. Funny to me considering I was a server/bartender for 15 years and relied on tips to make a living.

But if a mover gives exceptional service and goes above and beyond to take care of my family's belongings, then I will definitely tip him.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:04 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,940,603 times
Curious, anyone here tip the guys that deliver new furniture or appliances from the store to your home?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,411 times
I know this post is late, but I just had to chime in. I really like tipping movers when their moving company wants to charge me $50,000 to move a 3 bedroom house across county. Then act like I should be grateful that they are offering me a $22,000 discount off the $50k quote and in the fine print lists all the extra charges I am responsible for before they will unload my things.

The same stuff in a trailer by ABF U-Pack runs about $4,200. That fee covers the usage of their trailer, payment for gas and the driver's fee to drive it to my new home. If I hire helpers to load and unload the furniture and boxes, their fee is about $33 an hour each. If I buy my own boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc. it is still worth doing it yourself.

So that means the first mover is making over $18,800+ profit and I should tip them on top of that? I am sorry, but I don't feel like getting robbed twice.

This has nothing to do with the integrity of the workers -- this complaint is directed some of the moving companies that are gouging the customer.

Last edited by 5238z; 01-25-2010 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues