Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times

Advertisements

First home (smaller home) was easy to move into our 2 story (bigger home) (did it all by myself w/ wife).

Now we sold our 2-story / bigger home and moving back into a smaller home and of course 12 years older in age. I will never-ever move my own stuff again. Getting buddies to help was a pain. I would rather spend $200.00 to hire movers (locally). Never again will I put my body into this kind of toture again

For the rest.... hire movers...... which I am sure you all know. But "I" should of visited here before thinking about taking on such a task. Never know how much crap you have in a home until you move, WOW!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
My Dad years ago would tell us that everyone should have to move every 5 years whether across country or cross the street just to pitch the crap you have accumulated over the years.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Yikes, tell me about it! I packed my first 175 boxes myself then got the movers to do the rest. I could not believe I had over 10,000 pounds of stuff loaded into a moving van from my apt. I moved out of state and with 5 dogs and a cat! The car ride alone with the dogs was a disaster. Almost lost 2 of them on I-95 at a rest stop and it was mid July and 90 degrees! Never again!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
My Dad years ago would tell us that everyone should have to move every 5 years whether across country or cross the street just to pitch the crap you have accumulated over the years.
I agree, I rented a home for 7 years, then a two family for another 14. I had accumulated enough stuff for two houses!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times
Ugh - I've been packing and storing boxes for months now while the house is on the market so I'll have a little head start when it's time to move. One good thing about living in the hot, hot south is that attic space is generally too hot to store anything worth saving (friends have complained about baby toys and equipment actually melting in attics in Charleston!) and basements don't exist b/c of the low elevation so - I donate to Goodwill or have yard sales on a regular basis to get rid of clutter that I honestly don't have a place to keep. Storage units are very popular here! I have a climate controlled one to store those boxes I've already packed!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
We've been in this house for 15 years and will be for 30. I told hubby that when we moved, I was taking our clothes, antiques (that includes ourselves), and pictures and sell the rest at a moving sale.
I'm not gonna try to pack it all. lol
I moved every 4 years growing up and hate it!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,586 times
I agree, moving sucks. We've moved over 500 miles twice in the last 7 months. I have gotten rid of so much crap and our furniture has been damaged. We will be moving again within the next 3 years. Therefore I am not even bothering to unpack some stuff. I am not even bothering to decorate or hang pictures and will not buy anything new to put into this place that we will have to pack again. I will get rid of anything that is not absolutely necessary. I never want to accumulate so much crap ever again.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
3 months in and I am still living out of boxes. Granted we have no place to put anything....
We got rid of a lot of stuff a couple of moves ago...so when we packed it all up and moved to Chicago(a 2k mile move) it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
However I still cannot find the toaster oven so I went and bought a new one.
We have moving down to an art form....
When we left...we got guys from Home Depot...not only did they move our stuff... they hauled away the stuff we didnt want...200. bucks
When we got here...same thing...Home Depot ... 2 guys...200. bucks
I appreciate my friends who want to help...but....
These guys work better than ANY of my friends

Old 03-19-2009, 05:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Ugh, I just moved in Feb...three moves in three years, this one is it!!! And we only moved like 2 miles around, lol. Anyhow, I have been pitching/donating stuff all that time, and still my friends who helped said ' &%$ you have a lot of stuff!' Granted, we are a family of seven.

I actually had a minor meltdown the morning of the move-we had worked day and night on the house for a month (plus working our full time jobs) and then stayed up all that night before to pack. I just lost it! But I got it together and we did it all. 6 weeks later now and I'm almost done unpacking everything.

We had origionally planned to move 600 miles away (to NC) but as it ended up, we stayed and only moved the 2 miles...I can't imagine now, doing a huge move that far. I would have cracked up completely LOL. If we ever do that move (maybe when we retire) I'm getting rid of everything and starting fresh!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 AM

309 posts, read 1,026,010 times
Ah, the magical land of American consumerism. We fill up giant houses full of stuff we rarely use and rarely get rid of it. I love watching HGTV shows like house-hunters and watching them complain about how small the 14x20 bedroom is, or that two walk in closets isn't enough for all of her clothes (365 different outfits complete with 50+ pairs of shoes? WTF).

I've personally gotten onto my wife, "if you don't wear an outfit in a years time, get rid of it, please". She is highly resistant to it. If you wear a piece of clothing two years regularly it gets worn out and you have to replace it. If you wear a piece of clothing twice in two years, it is still fresh looking, but is probably out of style anyway. (A lot of times I am like "what about this dress" when the whole "I have nothing to wear" statement pops up, and she responds "I wore that last year to this event" or "The color isn't right for the buildings decore" etc, and I want to smack my forehead. Why even keep it if you make excuses not to wear it?)

I don't mind Buying new clothes every couple years, but saving them and having to buy a 3800 square foot house so you have closet space big enough to store them on the "offchance" you will wear them in the next 5 years? Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues