Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM

34 posts, read 111,358 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be driving from NH - Oregon in April as part of a move to the west coast. My things are being shipped separately, but I will have a lot of my more breakable things, like electronics in my car on the road trip.

Does anyone know of a way to insure the things in my car against theft?

A renters or home owner's policy is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'll be between residences and so won't be covered. My auto insurance covers the car itself, and me but not anything I would be carrying. Would any form of travel insurance cover it?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM

153 posts, read 563,855 times
I'd double check with your car insurance...or at least ask your agent what options you have. I know that if my car is broken into and my laptop (as an example) is stolen, it's covered through car insurance.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM

34 posts, read 111,358 times
I checked with my auto insurance and unfortunately my policy doesn't cover theft for anything inside the car, only things that are physically attached - like the radio. I don't have renters insurance right now, and won't have a permanent address as of the end of the week, and I won't be able to purchase a new renters policy until I have a new place.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM

71 posts, read 510,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradRun View Post
I'm going to be driving from NH - Oregon in April as part of a move to the west coast. My things are being shipped separately, but I will have a lot of my more breakable things, like electronics in my car on the road trip.

Does anyone know of a way to insure the things in my car against theft?

A renters or home owner's policy is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'll be between residences and so won't be covered. My auto insurance covers the car itself, and me but not anything I would be carrying. Would any form of travel insurance cover it?

Any help would be much appreciated!
From my experience, renters policy will work. You don't have to have a place because a lot of times people have renters insurance when their stuff is in storage. You should talk to your insurance agent.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Luther View Post
From my experience, renters policy will work. You don't have to have a place because a lot of times people have renters insurance when their stuff is in storage. You should talk to your insurance agent.
This is correct, but note that unless your policy is an "all-risk" one, it will only cover losses as described in the policy (e.g. theft), and not for damage caused by something like an auto collision. Your best bet is to talk to an insurance agent in your area -- sooner rather than later.

Best of luck with the move!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 AM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
We moved from Oregon to Vermont, basically the same way you are planning (drive, ship stuff that didn't fit in my car). I know this sounds less than pleasant, but what we ended up doing was putting all our valuable stuff (important documents, jewelery, our computers) in two boxes that we unloaded and took into the hotel room with us every night. That way we could keep an eye on everything. It made me feel a lot better. Unfortunately, we couldn't figure out a better way to do it. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues