U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,308,501 times

Advertisements

I'll have to say I-20 WAS exciting, though. One year, I was headed West on I-20 and was on the ramp from I-20 West to I-10 West. That ramp is long and curved with limited sight distance. As I tooled along in my big truck (going the proper direction of travel) an older couple in a Buick came at me! Fortunately, the ramp was wide enough for us to safely pass. I flashed my lights to get their attention and got on the C.B. to warn others. (This was before I had a cell phone) I didn't hear about a crash, so I assumed they got safely turned around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,965,247 times
You can legally drive 80 mph on I-20. Jus' sayin'. You may be able to get by with it on I-40, but watch out for those little towns.

I'd also prefer 287, but there is one little tricky spot that can throw you off, going from 287/81 to 380. I think you have to exit south and somehow go north to hit 380. I've only gone that route a couple of times. Then we hit 35E - South.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:11 PM

868 posts, read 3,072,584 times
I-10 also has the 80 mph limit...

Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 40,984 times
Y'all are great. Thanks for the input. Definitely sounds like we have a consensus.

I'm not so worried about the speed. I'm more concerned about being able to drive nice and slow without having to worry about too many feeders. This is my first time driving a truck this big (16') AND towing a car! I'm pretty damn nervous about all of this.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap0110 View Post
Y'all are great. Thanks for the input. Definitely sounds like we have a consensus.

I'm not so worried about the speed. I'm more concerned about being able to drive nice and slow without having to worry about too many feeders. This is my first time driving a truck this big (16') AND towing a car! I'm pretty damn nervous about all of this.
Just relax and have a good time! Take your time and you'll do fine. You'll notice that some truckers will blink/flash their lights to tell you that you're clear to pull back in ahead of them. You can just flash your emergency flashers or your left turn signal a couple of times to say "thanks". Have a great trip!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 40,984 times
Default Trip went beautifully

Just wanted to post an update. I drove my 16' moving van, towing my car, with my cat in the passenger seat, from San Francisco to a little town outside Dallas. Other than taking a long, long time, the trip went very smoothly.

Here are a few things to note, for future reference:
- It seems so obvious now that I can't believe I ever entertained the idea of keeping the cat in the car that I was towing. She would've died. Seriously. I kept her in the cab with me, never left her alone for more than a few minutes to grab some fast food, and didn't tranq her. She cried every day for the first 2 hours and eventually settled down. I was able to tune her out so it wasn't a big deal.
- Ironically, after all the great feedback I got here, I ended up having to change my route at the last minute, mostly because I decided to see some friends in Phoenix along the way. Rather than I-40, I went on I-10 to I-20. In hindsight, I would've preferred going straight through and staying on I-40 the whole way, as everyone here suggested. I HATE small 2-lane roads with no median, especially at night. I ended up having to drive them for hours because of the route I took to visit my friends.
- Also, as a sidenote, I-20 is HORRIBLE. Very messed up freeway. Several times the truck start rocking back and forth because the road was so wavy. Kind of scary. There were also huge stretches of "ripples" and other long stretches of torn up surface and rough patches.
- Add travel time if driving a big truck and towing a car. You can't go 80 mph. Or at least you really, really shouldn't. I averaged 55-60 mph.
- Strangely, heavy winds started blowing in SF the day I left. And they literally followed me the entire trip. Everywhere I went, locals reported unseasonably cool weather and heavy winds. As a result, I spent a solid week gripping my steering wheel because at random intervals a huge gust of wind would blow sideways against the truck. It was like the hand of God pushing me off the highway. This also happens a lot when passing (or being passed by) semis because of the wind tunnel they create.
- Speaking of semis - that's a benefit to taking the freeways rather than smaller highways. Or at least one of many benefits. I somehow felt safer traveling in a convoy. I would get behind a semi, fixate on the back of the truck, and zone out for 100s of miles at a stretch.
- Audiobooks are great.
- I made a "snack box" that kept me fed the whole trip. In a large box, I put several open containers which I'd filled with dried fruit, trail mix, cookies, jerky, etc. Before I started driving for the day, I would unscrew all the lids. Then, throughout the day, I could reach down, grab a handful of something, and eat without taking my eyes off the road or hands off the wheel.
- If you wake up in the morning in your hotel room and your cat is gone, check behind the tv. Mine jumped up *into* the entertainment center and crawled back behind the tv. Took 1/2 an hour to find her and another 1/2 hour to get her out.

Those are all the lessons learned I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps someone down the road!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback, ap0110!!! Glad your trip turned out OK! Especially enjoyed the tip about loosening the lids/caps of your food & drink. I drive a truck at night and my wife packs my lunch with everything in the same place and "travel ready" i.e. flavored bottled water on the same side of the lunch box ever day, candies unwrapped, sandwiches in the same end of the lunch box, etc. Sure makes driving in the dark a breeze. Agree, too, about, the "skinny roads" in a truck. Most are no problem but unfamiliar roads with no shoulders are a challenge at night!

Also appreciate the comment about rental truck spped limits! You really should allow time enough to make the trip at 55-60 mph. A blown front tire is a handful, even at 50 mph. Granted, blown tires aren't very common, but ANY driving emergency when your accelerator foot is to the floor is just that much more of a handful!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,262,275 times
Quote:
I'm planning a move from San Francisco to a small town east of Dallas, Texas. I see main choices on routes. Either take I-40 all the way and bypass both LA and Dallas, or take I-10, then I-20.

Has anyone traveled these routes? Have an opinion favoring one or the other? Any warnings I should know about?

Thanks

If it were me, I'd avoid the interstates all together. The back roads and old two-lane highways are much more scenic and fun.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-24-2010, 06:14 PM

1,471 posts, read 2,893,726 times
I know this thread is old, but is it still the case that 40 is nicer than 20 for a somewhat southerly E/W route? We are traveling from Cleveland to San Diego in late November (so 80 is off the table)
We would pick up 40 in Nashville, head west and plan on heading South in Flagstaff on 17, to 10 to 8 into San Diego, our final destination. Is 40 OK in Late Nov? I wish we could sight see but time is valuable on this trip. that said, nice scenery wizzing by would be nicer than boring landscape. thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM

149 posts, read 304,048 times
Quote:
I'm planning a move from San Francisco to a small town east of Dallas, Texas. I see main choices on routes. Either take I-40 all the way and bypass both LA and Dallas, or take I-10, then I-20.

Has anyone traveled these routes? Have an opinion favoring one or the other? Any warnings I should know about?

Thanks
I40 to Amarillo (eat at the Big Texan, just don't get the big steak), then 287 to basically West of Decauter, don't speed on the highways, Texas DPS troopers give you no margin for error at all, then 380 to 35W to I30 or I20. Your choice, good luck, welcome to Texas!

My choice would be 40 to 10 to 20, it's the fastest but if you wanted be creative; 40 to Clines Corner, NM then 285 to Vaugn, NM then US60 E to Fort Sumner then 60/84 to Clovis then 84 to Sweetwater, Texas. 84 is two laned from Clovis to I20 at Sweetwater. The I20E. Good luck. Lot's of lonely highway (besides 10 or 40) in Eastern NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues