Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 AM

43 posts, read 320,351 times

Advertisements

I have been told that 3 moves are equivalent to a fire-- that is, each time you move , you throw out about 1/3 of your stuff. I am always amazed to see people move into my neighborhood, unpack their boxes, then 2 weeks later they throw out about 400 pounds of junk
that they paid someone to move.

We have 1 pod in storage while I remodel the basement to make the house more appealing to buyers. As for the stuff in storage, I haven't needed any of that stuff for months.

I took the day off today to haul about 800 pounds to stuff to the curb.
"That recliner isn't worth moving."
"This chisel is junk."
"Why did I buy this?"
"The previous owners left that junk"
"Don't think I'll be needing a snow shovel"
"I have absolutely no idea what this does."
"$5 worth of junk in a $10 storage box. "
"Snow blower... I can sell that"
"I paid off my mortgage yesterday. Do I really want to move?"
"A cast iron table saw... it was easy getting it down stairs."
"A conduit bender... used it last week, will I ever need this in Raleigh?"
"Oh look, an old mouse trap-- complete with mummified mouse."

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to keep and what to toss / sell / donate to charity? Why take 2 hours to gently pack up a $20 set of dishes? The Checkpoint Charlie Beer stein-- well, you spend extra bubble wrap on that.

Moving horror stoies are also fun. What is the cheapest piece of junk, you have seen someone pay $100 to move?

Back to haulin trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Great point. I think I will have my husband read this one. I have been trying to throw stuff out, because moving from SOCAL to Raleigh, is quite an expense. I figure all your antiques, Your grandmothers sewing machine, the mattress you just bought for $2k are the things you should keep, but most the other stuff, can be a drag to pack, and cheaper to rebuy. Then in comes my husband. I spend one hour tossing stuff, and he spends two hours hauling it out of the trash, because he decides it is a treasure he cannot live without??? Urgh

Old 03-27-2007, 11:27 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
How do you figure out whether something will be cheaper to rebuy? Is it heavy stuff if you're paying by the pound? Or big stuff if you're paying by the foot? Is there a rule of thumb? I need to start purging as we're prob going to move next month.

Is a snow shovel really not going to be necessary in NC?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 AM

59 posts, read 284,337 times
Default hee hee

kevin that post is hilarious.

keep the gatorade coming and good luck with your purging!

we'll probably get a dumpster and/or hold a yard sale where everything's free but donations are welcomed!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:56 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
How do you figure out whether something will be cheaper to rebuy? Is it heavy stuff if you're paying by the pound? Or big stuff if you're paying by the foot? Is there a rule of thumb? I need to start purging as we're prob going to move next month.

Is a snow shovel really not going to be necessary in NC?
You pay by the pound. So for example, if your refridgerator is 14 years old, and showing lots of wear, consider how much it weighs, it is approx. $1/pp. If you think it is worth moving, then do it, but for us, it isn't worth moving.
If your couches are new and in good shape, it is worth moving, but if they are old, and you think they might not look good for much longer, sell um on Criagslist. Ya know what I mean???

Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
When we moved (and this was just across the triangle!), I went through everything (I definitely like to "get rid of things" while my husband likes to hold on to them (I allowed his HIGH SCHOOL graduation gown to move twice, then it got chunked).

Anyhow, I actually freecycled most of my stuff. Most towns have a freecycle group, and I was shocked by the things people wanted (lawnmower and chain saw that didn't work, 20 vases collected over the years, hangers, books, tools that were broken, etc). So, try freecycle, you arrange for people to come and pick it up.

The best one for me was our reclining love seat that our dog had ripped the back out of........it was in our basement, so when I freecycled it, I said "you have to be able to move it yourselves and have something to put it in). People came with a rental truck and moved it. I was so happy to see that thing go, and I didn't have to move it! They were thrilled with it, so it was an even trade!

Leigh

Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,624 times
Wink One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Craigslist it!! They have a free section too.

We aren't moving til the end of 2008, but I am already walking around our place saying keep it, lose it, trash it, give it away. Then a few days later I look at the item that I said "keep it" and say that was really stupid cause it will cost more to move it than rebuying it down there, and who knows I might find something I like better.

My sister in Santa Barbara says she is getting rid of everything and starting over fresh. I keep thinking more and more that maybe she is right. Don't tell her though, I will never live that down.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
When our move finally happens, we will probably ditch our worn sofa and recliner, and give away our huge but old upright freezer-I have always wanted frost free and it's so old it's not efficient. No way am I gonna drag that to NC! I'll buy new. We are not decided about the piano...it was a free givaway to start with, but we really like it. Don't know...

Kevin HW- I'd defenitely give away excess kitchen crap (plates, pots, ect) and excess 'decor' items. Purge all your clothing and bedding and keep only what you really like and use. A guy might want to purge his garage/workshop stuff too, only keeping what is really useful. If I had any appliances, I'd only bring them if they were very new and efficient. For young families like mine, bringing the plastic yard toys (you know, the seesaws and slides and such) is not worth it, because you can get those at tag sales and they take up much room.

I am choosing to bring my new and expensive front-loading washer. And all the family's bedroom furniture-we really don't want to re-buy everything. I really should let go of that piano...

Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Careful though when you purge. When my mom moved last time, my step-father cleared out the bookcase for the dump. My mom happened by the car as he was about to head to the dump and ended up rescuing my baby photos! I don't think he's ever going to live that one down!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM

106 posts, read 310,573 times
Yiles!! Been there quite a few times and what I cant understand is that when we lived in MD, our home there had alot more storage then this one we live in now besides the shed we have here now and I could not seem to find places for alot here..lol. I hate keeping things we dont use and have not but my fiance on the other hand says we might need it someday. The things I would of liked to take was waher/dryer/refridgerator. But we sold our home with that included. We have all that in our new home but it is not the same when it is or was used by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues