U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM

54 posts, read 150,160 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am 23 and am sick of living in Illinois. I am wanting to move to a bigger city and finish my education there. I have been spending most of the last several months researching different places and I have so many different options but would like some advice. I dont have alot of money and will probably cocktail waitress until I get out of school. I am basically looking for an upbeat city with lots of things to do, a good nightlife scene, yet relatively safe....if possible. I would love to get some feedback and am open to pretty much everything!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:55 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,710,483 times
What about Chicago?

The way you phrased your post leads me to believe you are immature and perhaps such a big change in your life may not be a prudent decision. There are major cities everywhere in the U.S. and for us to give you advice without knowing your peronality, what you're looking for it is virtually impossible to give you sound advice on cities to move to so here's my suggestion:

1. Do your homework and don't make us do it for you. Where have you always wanted to live? Do you like cold or hot weather? How far do you want to be from your family? What is the cost of living in areas you are interested in? Will you make enough to support yourself?

2. Do you have money saved up for your move? It costs a lot of $$$ to move. This is coming from someone who has lived in 3 different states on both coasts and the midwest. Prepare enough for "first month", "last month", deposits for utilities, and cash for food/shelter when you initially move. Have a game plan if you don't have a job lined up yet.

3. Every large city is going to have crime and unsafe areas. Just keep that in mind.

It does sound like you've been doing some homework, however. You did say you've been researching different areas. Perhaps if you've got a couple of places in mind, you should share it so people can give their take on a certain area. For example, I've always lived in cities where you had to drive - not very walkable, so if I recommended places like Dallas or Los Angeles, it would probably be a waste of time giving you info if you won't have a car.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you will get other advice than me. It's not easy to move and I've done my fair share so perhaps my perspective is slightly different than a 20-something year-old.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM

146 posts, read 328,536 times
Wow, Foma really ripped on you the first sentence! But, she's right and if I had written this thread I think its a pretty good answer.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,015,549 times
I know a number of folks who worked in the hospitality industry while going to school. Most cities have a need for it. Sounds like you just need to pick a city and go. Make sure you have about 3 months rent saved up, (1.5 for the first month and deposit) and the remainder to get you by.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,354,453 times
Don't go out of state before you have finished your education. Out-of-state tuition is just horrendously expensive. Stay in state and when you are finished, then go wherever. Otherwise, you'll have to sit out an entire year in the new state before you would be eligible for in-state tuition.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 AM

140 posts, read 411,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Don't go out of state before you have finished your education. Out-of-state tuition is just horrendously expensive. Stay in state and when you are finished, then go wherever. Otherwise, you'll have to sit out an entire year in the new state before you would be eligible for in-state tuition.
And some states, you could have to wait up to two years. However, some schools don't have an out-of-state tuition, tuition is the same for all students. You need to do your homework. good luck.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,354,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2009 View Post
And some states, you could have to wait up to two years. However, some schools don't have an out-of-state tuition, tuition is the same for all students. You need to do your homework. good luck.
Totally agree. The major reason I am still stuck where I am right now instead of being moved already is in-state vs. out-of-state tuition. It is just too expensive for my husband to study in the state we want to move to without him being a resident of that state. I think it is 3.5 times the rate of in-state tuition at the schools he was looking at. Forget it. That's just a complete and absolute waste of money because the programs are the same here or there. I'll wait it out until my husband graduates either this coming winter or next spring.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smltwngrl0570 View Post
Hello everyone, I am 23 and am sick of living in Illinois. I am wanting to move to a bigger city and finish my education there. I have been spending most of the last several months researching different places and I have so many different options but would like some advice. I dont have alot of money and will probably cocktail waitress until I get out of school. I am basically looking for an upbeat city with lots of things to do, a good nightlife scene, yet relatively safe....if possible. I would love to get some feedback and am open to pretty much everything!!!
I have to admit, Chicago seems to be sticking out like a whack-a-mole. Next bet would be Austin, TX. You can get out of the cold and find a new boyfriend there.

That said, you should know that "quarter-life crises" and/or "1/3 life crises" are just as common although slightly less well-known as "mid-life crises" and it is generally a poor practice to make large life changes or large purchases in the midst of a crisis. It's almost never a good idea to do anything out of desperation unless that desperation stems from hunger. Don't get a tattoo or bob your hair until you feel better.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smltwngrl0570 View Post
Austin is cheap and surviving better than most cities. Plus it's home to SxSW (south by southwest). It's one of the safest large cities in America. If it were not for my job in California, I'd move out there.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 PM

54 posts, read 150,160 times
Thank you guys for all of your replies. I am starting to consider the whole in-state schooling after all. I think jim your right about the 1/3 life crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues