U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,568,285 times
Default College Move

I will be moving to Minneapolis from Rapid City around late June/early August. I've never moved out of my town before so I am really not familiar about how much I should save these next few months in order to move with ease. I live in Rapid City and the drive to Minneapolis is about 600 miles and roughly 9 hours. I will be spliting an apartment and a U-Haul too. How much should I save up and what can I expect expenses to be?

U-Haul- ???
Deposit- 500 (split already)
Rent- 400 (split already)
Utilities Hookup- ???
First month's utilities- 50

On top of that I have these:
Car- 180
Gas- 100 (I'm guessing with cross-state drive)
Insurance- 100
Food/Groc- 300
Miscellaneous- 200

Total- 1830 (without U-haul, U-haul gas, and utility hookups)

What's a good amount to save in order to move? I'd like to have a nice cushion too in case I don't find a job right away. Does $2300 seem plausible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM

32 posts, read 53,988 times
I'd shoot for 3 grand. That's always been my benchmark.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,594,352 times
Definitely save more! A UHaul will easily run a couple hundred assuming you will have it only a day or two.

Minneapolis will hands down be more expensive than Rapid, maybe post this in that forum to get a better idea of living expenses - but since you don't have a job lined up, if you can save an entire months worth of expenses (rent, utilities, insurance, ect) in addition to your $1800 start, I would say that should be your minimum goal.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll probably up it to $3000 now. I make good wages and even better tips in the summer so I'm not too worried about saving it. I just needed a ballpark figure as to how much to save. Are there any other "surprise" expenses that come up in a move? I'm new at this, forgive me!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM

32 posts, read 53,988 times
Yeah,...I moved last year and I did $3,000. Like I said, that's my benchmark. And you said you already have a place. That's good.

Given your age (I'm young too), I can't think of any surprises right now. Maybe car trouble.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 AM

50 posts, read 148,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierro View Post
I can't think of any surprises right now. Maybe car trouble.
wow what a spirit booster

I have driven cross country 3 times in the past year, and on my 2nd time I ended up with car repair half way into it. Unexpected but I had to carry on with my life.

Why are you taking a U-Haul Dannyboy? I mean do you have that much stuff? I can imagine it would run the bill up alot, depending on what kind of car you have (I dont know) if you were to only keep the essentials and a few valuables?

By the way, 2,300? I'd been moved already. I know on my first move I moved with $100 (in 2007) made $500 by the end of the week, a few hundred the next week...and made it through to my $1,800 'manna' 3 weeks later and took it from there...

If I had those $2,300 from last month...I'd be out the STATE by tomorrow

Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM

15,530 posts, read 15,220,947 times
You will eat pretty cheap, thats why its not a bad deal to work restaurants! You should be ok for now w money.

Good luck in Gopherland!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post

Why are you taking a U-Haul Dannyboy? I mean do you have that much stuff? I can imagine it would run the bill up alot, depending on what kind of car you have (I dont know) if you were to only keep the essentials and a few valuables?

By the way, 2,300? I'd been moved already. I know on my first move I moved with $100 (in 2007) made $500 by the end of the week, a few hundred the next week...and made it through to my $1,800 'manna' 3 weeks later and took it from there...
I find this hard to believe. I want to move and have a security cushion, not move and have to hook! I'm taking a U-Haul because I will be moving furniture too and so will my friend. We're splitting costs too. I could leave everything behind but then I'd have to pay for storage and I'd have a nice new empty apartment in Minneapolis.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM

10,043 posts, read 14,402,034 times
I'd save as much as you can. That way you have a cushion if you need it, and if you don't you can keep it for future emergencies, just in case.

I've moved many times, and there are always extra expenses. Some are necessities, and some are just little nice things. In the "nice extras" category are things like being able to go out to eat (or order pizza or whatever) after you first move in; that way you don't have to worry about finding something to eat and sitting around on boxes right after you've finished all your hard work. There are also lots of little things that every new apartment always seems to need; you can get by without some of it, admittedly, but we've always had to go out and buy random things like outlet converters, plug drains, oven thermometers (never can seem to remember to bring them with us), and the like. I also usually buy a bunch of new cleaning supplies at move-in and get the place really clean while it's still unpacked. None of this stuff is really expensive in the grand scheme of things, but it can add up and it's nice not to have to worry about it. (some of that might already be in your figures above; wasn't sure about that).

As far as utility hookups, call the companies direct and ask about it; it can vary, and I think in some cases they may require a deposit if you don't have a long credit record (or have poor credit).

The beginning of school always has assorted extra fees - books, etc. - so you'll appreciate having some extra money for that, too, if it turns out that you don't need it for the actual moving.

If you haven't already done so ask about how much the winter utilities tend to run in wherever you're renting; in Minnesota you can get stuck with a high heating bill during the winter months, so you'll want to have a rough idea of what's coming down the road.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks again! Another question- is it a better idea to move my stuff to Minnesota or just sell as much as possible and buy new stuff there? The one thing I worry about with selling it all is getting less than what it's worth to me and ending up broke in Minnesota from having to buy new stuff. However, I wouldn't have much for moving expenses then and I could always go to a used furniture store.

The furniture I'd bring would probably be a bed, a couch, recliner chair, a dresser, a couple nightstands, and maybe a dining room set. Not to mention kitchenware and bathroom stuff that wouldn't take more than a few boxes.

Or I could just pack all my clothes and essentials in my car and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues