Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 27,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Hi Cali. I'm sorry to hear you're nervous and your mother seems to add fuel to this (I dont mean that in a bad way). Not everyone experiences this, but some do, and you're very close to your family - a very admirable and amazing thing in this day

My advice would be to look at this whole situation as an adventure. You will be your Mom's eyes, too, how exciting will that be? You are going to go somewhere, set up camp, and then send for Mom to come and explore new territory with you! You and your Mom can remain VERY close while living far away. Most phone plans have an option for free long-distance within the U.S. now. With flights going at rock bottom rates, there hasnt been a better time to be a distance away from someone, either. Those are just some 'bright sides' to this.

There is SO MUCH that the different states have to offer, its unreal. There is no better learning experience than to be submersed in another way of life for a while, either. Even though you're still going to be in the U.S., there will be a new culture to learn about and a history of that area - take advantage of that! I would contact the chamber of commerce in the area you're moving to, or the website that has travel stuff, and get them to send you gobs of info. Lounge and read through it, share it with your Mom, and let yourself get excited and interested in different aspects of your new area that you can later explore.

If you can, allow yourself to get excited about this move, and also allow your Mom to be upset (and you as well, its ok). Its upsetting! But its still exciting as you've said. Maybe whip out a calendar and set a date for your Mom's first visit?
Thank you very much for your advice. I appreciate it very much. Im looking forward to the adventures ahead. I think that this is also a great opportunity for me as well. I get to see and experience different things as you have said. Im planning on talking to my mom this weekend to plan out a date for her to come out. I want to make it before I start work out there, just so I have all my time to spend with her. I think that with time she will slowly adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,855,443 times
Just assure her that you will contact her often and that you love her but are really looking foreward in so many ways of things you may be able to do and new places you will be able to see. If she's got a computer the two of you can have lots of great contact.

It's hard as a mom. I'm almost 39 and I have two boys, one is almost 20 and the other is 16. Hubby, I, and our youngest are planning to move out of state early next year but my oldest may choose to stay here to be near his girlfriend. He's a type 1 diabetic and he and I are pretty close. It's hard to think I'll be over half the country away if anything happens but I'm doing my best to let him know I support what he chooses but also letting him know I'm still going to be available and still worrying.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,664 times
Default Nomads and Stay-putters

It seems like there are two kinds of people - nomads and stay-putters. Of course, this is a rough theory because I haven't even come up with very good names yet

My wife lived in Lincoln, NE all her life. My parents were air force, and no 2 of us 4 siblings were born in the same state. My wife agreed to let us move to Kansas City when I got a great job offer down here a couple years ago.

I expected her to have trouble adjusting, but surprise surprise - it was our mothers that were the most upset! I was surprised about my mom. She was in the air force, and they raised us 600 miles from the nearest grandparents. But she didn't appreciate the irony

Some mothers will never like it, but they will accept it with time. I can't give good mother-daughter advice like a lot of people have, but I can tell you that you need to make your own life, and everything/everyone will be fine. Disasters almost never happen. Distance families tend to appreciate their time together more. And of course, the internet makes it a lot easier.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,134,900 times
I live in Western,NY(Rochester area)about 7 1/2 hours away from my father in long island and many hours away from my mother in Tampa,FL and I can honestly say that the best thing for a situation like this.....EMAIL. The best part is that allows for editing!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:02 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,844,961 times
This has worked for us.
Make a decision to call on a regular basis, and do not sway from that.
In between, always make surprise calls, especially when you did something interesting.

Ours was:
calls to Mother, on Saturday morning.
Never forget birthdays, or anniversaries.
The kids always called Grandma when they got their report cards,
or did something special, like won a ribbon for whatever.
Share a LOT of Pictures, and I mean a LOT !!! (e-mail !!!!)
If you need to make a decision, share your thoughts.

We started this when we got married, and now 40 years later we still do that.

When you visit Home, and then you leave, promise your folks, you will call when get home again, immediately. I never realised before our kids left but now, I am on needles until I know they are home safe.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 27,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellmyer View Post
It seems like there are two kinds of people - nomads and stay-putters. Of course, this is a rough theory because I haven't even come up with very good names yet

My wife lived in Lincoln, NE all her life. My parents were air force, and no 2 of us 4 siblings were born in the same state. My wife agreed to let us move to Kansas City when I got a great job offer down here a couple years ago.

I expected her to have trouble adjusting, but surprise surprise - it was our mothers that were the most upset! I was surprised about my mom. She was in the air force, and they raised us 600 miles from the nearest grandparents. But she didn't appreciate the irony

Some mothers will never like it, but they will accept it with time. I can't give good mother-daughter advice like a lot of people have, but I can tell you that you need to make your own life, and everything/everyone will be fine. Disasters almost never happen. Distance families tend to appreciate their time together more. And of course, the internet makes it a lot easier.

Good luck!
Its kinda funny that you say the bolded above, cause my mom did the same thing. My parents moved about 400 miles away from our closest grandparents, and my moms, mom had the most difficult time with it. I guess it runs in the family lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues