Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM

49 posts, read 159,718 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of posts where people move from northern states to southern states and have pretty strong feelings about it. Some are really glad they made the move from a northern state to a southern state and some regret the move, (like myself).
(The states don't have to be northern vs. southern.) My overall question is have people enjoyed moving from a "slower pace" to a "faster pace"? If so, what makes it enjoyable? Just curious!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM

322 posts, read 902,697 times
I moved from Oklahoma to Boston (originally from Texas) and I LOVED it when I lived there in my early twenties. Boston is a fun town and I loved using the public transportation, the scenery, the restaurants, the museums, etc... Then I moved to Alaska and HATED it. Now I hate winter and wouldn't move back to Boston and put up with another one of those. If I could find a place that had the vibe of Boston but the climate of Hawaii, I'd be in heaven. I'm moving back to Texas in four months. I expect to like it. I think there are more similarities between urban and rural than north and south IMO. Yes Texas is more of a car place and Boston has much better public transportation, but they both have a lot of the same stores, chains, and activities can be found everywhere. IMO, the bad thing about the north is the winters. The bad thing about the south is the summers. Which do you hate more? Being hot all summer or being cold all winter? Sometimes you can't know until you try them both for a few years. And, even the cold is not as bad as living in a place with more dreary days. I think the sun makes southerners seem "friendlier" and northerners seem more "reserved." I know cloudy, dreary weather tends to make me less talkative and more reserved and sunnier weather makes me friendly and smile at everyone I see.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Also, waaaay back in the day, people from a different part of England, Scotland and Ireland immigrated to the South and they had a different culture and mindset than those who immigrated to the Northern areas of the U.S. The old-school culture has just carried through until today. Also, the north has had historically more immigrants and there's been less homogenity than in the south, and living around strangers makes one less friendly and more suspicious. There's also the perceived cultural competition for jobs, which makes "others" the enemy.

so yeah, it's not just about the weather

another fact you may find interesting is that if you go to any country/continent in the world, you will find that the people who live up North have normally cleaner cities and are more reserved, and the people down South are more friendly with dirtier cities. Who knows what causes this phenomenon.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM

146 posts, read 437,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
people who live up North have normally cleaner cities and are more reserved, and the people down South are more friendly with dirtier cities. Who knows what causes this phenomenon.
interesting? So the term dirty south is actually true ....

Anyway, I havent been up north yet and would be more than willing to go and will see to do so this summer. Im curious to see.

What I can say is that from having lived in Miami (resembles 'northern' in some areas) and Tampa (has alot of NYers and northerns too) and visited places like north Florida, Georgia, Alabama and all that borders...It is definently a difference.

Probably the biggest difference being diversity. And with that comes along different flavors and cultures and influences. Places in the south tend to be have the same type of culture (like Texas, ugh) . Same type of music, food, and people. In Miami its all types. I had a friend from Jacksonville visit south beach and was shocked at all the different types of music that was playing from one building to the next.

So yea, North is more hetero...the south is more homo. geneous that is

Old 04-02-2009, 01:39 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
I had originally moved from FL to PA and LOVED! it. I loved the weather, the people, the scenery, the opportunities, etc. etc.

I moved from PA to AZ and regret it every second. I hate the weather, don't like the people or the scenery, and there are little opportunities here.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I think its more a matter of pace. I've lived in MN, TX, IL, OK and I have liked the large cities (>1mm people) I've lived in moreso than the smaller areas (<50k). I like the accessibility, customer service, and opportunity.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:33 PM

146 posts, read 437,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I had originally moved from FL to PA and LOVED! it. I loved the weather, the people, the scenery, the opportunities, etc. etc.

I moved from PA to AZ and regret it every second. I hate the weather, don't like the people or the scenery, and there are little opportunities here.
Penn to Zona? I can imagine. Well, since you liked Penn so much, along with its oppurtunities gives me more incentive to want to check out the east coast for sure

Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Origanally from Mich, I've lived in Tx, la, Ga, Mont, Va, Az, SoCal for 36yr's and there was a time that I would never move from SoCal. Now I live in OK. and the different between the Smog, fresh air, cost of living and Illigal Immigration.....I'd never move back.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times
originally from pa..moved to missouri..hated it...
moved from missouri to michigan...loving it...even though i grew up and lived in pa for 20+ years...i wouldnt go back.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
I moved from Florida to Michigan and both states have abundant beauty and good qualities about them ,but overall I'd rather be in FL. The pace is much slower up here in small town MI than in the heavily populated Tampa Bay area. The 4 seasons are nice here, the snow is ok for about a month, but the grey skys and cold get old real quick and never seem to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues