U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 71,704 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in mid-August from San Diego to Boston.. and was weighing my options.. I'm moving by myself with a studio apartment's worth of stuff. I was thinking of:

a) Rent a moving truck w/ a trailer for my car

b) Sell off my cheap IKEA furniture, cram as much as I can in my car, and ship the rest via USPS

c) Hire movers to move all my stuff

I'm leaning towards b), since minus my furniture, I can fit most of my belongings in my car (4-door sedan). I'm very familiar with shipping rates and I don't believe it will cost much to ship what doesn't fit in my car. a) seems to be more expensive than I thought.. Budget wants $1628.70 for a 16' truck + trailer. Uhaul for some reason wants more at $2810 for a smaller 10' truck + trailer. And w/ the 8 MPG or so on these things, gas will be over $800 for the 3000 mile trip. As for c) I've never used movers before, though I'd assume it'd be more expensive than b).

Last edited by ratatouille; 04-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: adding info
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,709,521 times
Well, you didn't say what kind of car you have, most cars can pull at least the smallest U-haul trailer, if that's of any interest to you. Would have to put a trailer hitch on the car and some smaller imports I probably wouldn't. But even then you can get a rooftop carrier, for bulky but light stuff.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 PM

71 posts, read 461,486 times
Default Cost of movers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatouille View Post
I will be moving in mid-August from San Diego to Boston.. and was weighing my options.. I'm moving by myself with a studio apartment's worth of stuff. I was thinking of:

a) Rent a moving truck w/ a trailer for my car

b) Sell off my cheap IKEA furniture, cram as much as I can in my car, and ship the rest via USPS

c) Hire movers to move all my stuff

I'm leaning towards b), since minus my furniture, I can fit most of my belongings in my car (4-door sedan). I'm very familiar with shipping rates and I don't believe it will cost much to ship what doesn't fit in my car. a) seems to be more expensive than I thought.. Budget wants $1628.70 for a 16' truck + trailer. Uhaul for some reason wants more at $2810 for a smaller 10' truck + trailer. And w/ the 8 MPG or so on these things, gas will be over $800 for the 3000 mile trip. As for c) I've never used movers before, though I'd assume it'd be more expensive than b).
Ratatouille,

I can help you with option C. Not specifically with my company moving you...I mean with pricing. I can give you a price for moving a minimum weight shipment (2100 lbs) from San Diego to Boston. I could also look up some names of reputable movers in your area as well if you would like to get in-home surveys. I would never suggest doing business with a mover unless you have a survey done first.

2100 lbs moving from SD to Beantown w/o packing and w/o full coverage is $2014.92. I'm sure thats not what you want to hear, but I figured it could be helpful to know what a mover would charge at a minimum. There may be some cheaper companies out there I'm sure, but please read my blog on moving quotes to prepare yourself properly.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...-yourself.html

I would suggest option A. Option B would very pricey I would imagine. Probably not as costly as Option C though.

By the way, I'm originally from Boston. A young, single guy will very much enjoy Boston. There is sooo much to do there. I'm married w/ 3 kids and I miss it quite a bit. It's wicked fah from San Diego though.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,934,779 times
Sell all your junk, ship your car, and fly.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,014,056 times
Sell your junk. You can buy new stuff easy at tag sales around Boston. Send a few boxes of stuff out UPS and drive the car across country. Gas is cheap right now.

If you do want to ship your stuff, try ABF U-Pack moving. They have a good reputation.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
Hello,

My father-in-law brought his daughter out here from Massachusetts and will be going back this weekend (Saturday the 28th of July). If you are willing to move up your move date from August to this weekend, we can make this happen. You may contact me via email at [EMAIL="gubtun87@aol.com"]gubtun87@aol.com[/EMAIL] if you are interested. He is going back with his truck pulling a 32" trailer which will house your household goods and your vehicle. Email me and I will put you in touch with him for more details. Other information must be gathered first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues