U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 AM

901 posts, read 2,672,723 times

Advertisements

Here's my diliemma: I currnetly live in a nice sized apartment in a crappy neighborhood. The people are horrilbe. I can't leave my apartment and walk down the block without beggars bothering me for money. The local supermarkets don't seem to have food that I'm interested in (fresh veggies, herbs, low fat products). Also, I take public transportation and the location is kind of strange. The nearest train is about 5-6 blocks away. My lease is up in about 5 months.

I know of another neighborhood that is not too far with nice shopping, trains, and where you won't have beggars bothering you constantly. The only problem is that I would have to take a smaller apartment (although the cost would not betoo much more). My BF (who does not live with me) says that I should stay put because I have a nice sized apartment for a fairly good price.

So, what would you do? Stay put in a crappy neighborhood or move to a smaller apartment in a better neighborhood(and possibly pay slightly more money)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 AM

3,737 posts, read 9,567,352 times
Who needs a big apartment when you are afraid of the neighborhood. I would live in a studio to be close to all the things I love. You also gain time which is invaluable if you are closer to things.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 AM

13,726 posts, read 14,572,598 times
move

Old 05-03-2009, 12:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,672,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Who needs a big apartment when you are afraid of the neighborhood. I would live in a studio to be close to all the things I love. You also gain time which is invaluable if you are closer to things.
I agree about extra time. The area is near a train that goes directly to my job, my communte would probably be cut in half. Not to mention that I would not have to go down to a studio, just a smaller one bedroom. My current apartment has an EIK and a very large living room. The bedroom is also quite large. From the floorplans that I've seen of the potential apartment, the rooms are smaller than what I have now and the kithchen is not an EIK.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 PM

13,726 posts, read 14,572,598 times
the size of your place now does not trump the bad that goes with it. feeling uncomfortable in your neighborhood is reason enough to move. then to have to walk through it to get to your ride is scary. something you should not have to do more than once! no food you like in your store. then for the rent to be only a "fairly" good price. it would have to be dirt cheap to live there. if it were me I would see if I could get out of the lease early. some landlords don't mind others do. good luck, go for it!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM

6,237 posts, read 15,402,068 times
Never sacrifice neighborhood for space unless you enjoy feeling like a prisoner in your own home. It's simply not worth it, as you seem to have found out.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:23 PM

445 posts, read 956,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Here's my diliemma: I currnetly live in a nice sized apartment in a crappy neighborhood. The people are horrilbe. I can't leave my apartment and walk down the block without beggars bothering me for money. The local supermarkets don't seem to have food that I'm interested in (fresh veggies, herbs, low fat products). Also, I take public transportation and the location is kind of strange. The nearest train is about 5-6 blocks away. My lease is up in about 5 months.

I know of another neighborhood that is not too far with nice shopping, trains, and where you won't have beggars bothering you constantly. The only problem is that I would have to take a smaller apartment (although the cost would not betoo much more). My BF (who does not live with me) says that I should stay put because I have a nice sized apartment for a fairly good price.

So, what would you do? Stay put in a crappy neighborhood or move to a smaller apartment in a better neighborhood(and possibly pay slightly more money)?
Me, being a female, I would prefer to pay a little more money, for a smaller apt, in a better hood, then staying somewhere, that made you feel like a prisoner in your own home, having to beat off the riff raff, on your way home. Move!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,412,185 times
after hearing you describe it as "crappy" why stay? If you are in an area you dont care for, and the surrounding shops (such as the food stores ect you described) dont have what you are looking for, why would you stay. Even though you may have to get a smaller place, wouldnt you be much happier knowing your in a place that works for you. Sometimes its those sacrifices that pay off in the end.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:32 AM

12,236 posts, read 1,693,979 times
I concur...move. You are not stuck-you have options. Be thankful for that. Move and be safe. I'll bet your friends would appreciate a safer neighborhood when they visit! Seriously, safety and convenience trump a few extra sq ft.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 30,543 times
I am in a similar situation. I rent a townhouse which is okay and the price is good. My neighborhood is very congested with noisy people, cars. I found an apartment in a very good neighborhood but it is small. Two bedrooms but it does have a dining room and very small bathroom and kitchens. Cost is more but for the piece of mind I am taking it. I agree with everyone else...move. It will probably make you much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or