U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,509 times

Advertisements

I will be driving from Ohio to Los Angeles to move my daughter into an apartment in June. We will be taking 70 to 44 to 40 into Phoenix to see some friends and then taking 10 into the city. I have no problems with that route. But on the way back I would rather take the central route of 15 through Vegas to 70 into Utah and on into Denver through the Rocky Mountains. I am a little hesistant to take that way due to a few factors: I will be drivng a large moving van - 15-20 mpg if that, and I forsee an extremely hilly trip, also long barren stretches of land in between cities. I have never driven either route but assume the 40-44-70 route is safer overall. Am I over exaggerating the dangers of taking the more northern route? I would love to see Utah, Colorado and the Rocky Mountains. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Is this a rental moving van like a U-Haul? Could you just do a one way rental and then rent a comfortable car for the ride home?

Otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems as long as the vehicle is in good working condition. Should be a fun time to drive.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,302,203 times
I've gone from LA via I-15 through Vegas, then on to Eastern UT on I-70, and I don't see any problem with the route. (I haven't traveled on to CO.) IIRC it's all at least 2 lanes in each direction, all modern interstate highway. There are a few long stretches, but they should be no problem as long as you plan ahead and get gas as necessary. I wouldn't call the route hilly either although there are some grades, and there are some places where a large vehicle should slow down particularly if it's windy.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM

153 posts, read 498,590 times
I've driven 1-70 from Utah (where I lived) over through Denver and beyond. It's not a bad drive at all, just be glad it's not wintertime We drove in March when we moved to NC and we're happy to have survived driving through Vail. I'm used to the snow and mountain driving, but this was a white knuckle nightmare! lol But I'm sure it'll be a smooth sailing drive in the summer. When we went we had an SUV packed with people and stuff and I'm sure the mpg wasnt great at all, but we never ever let the gas tank go below 1/2 and we never had a problem finding gas stations (that's a huge anxiety for me lol).

I'll be making the drive from UT to NC again in June too (I have to drive our other car across the country, I'm actually quite excited!) I'll be going on I-70 (well, hghwy 6 that turns into 70) from northern utah down to CO and over. I contemplated going the north route through WY, or even the south route down to AZ and across but I'm sticking to what I know.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,509 times
Thanks Mel, your info is good to know. I have made up my mind and will take the Utah-Denver route. Thanks to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues