U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 PM

157 posts, read 728,715 times

Advertisements

We need to rent two large rental trucks to move our belongings from Tampa Bay, Fl to the Knoxville, TN area.

Can anyone comment on which truck rental companies have the largest and best trucks?

Are all 26' trucks the same between rental companies? U-Haul has an extra space compartment over the cab, does their truck have the most usable space among the rental companies?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 05:21 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,548,435 times
I say Penske but thats because budget and uhaul use gas burners. For a large truck, you want a diesel.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,303,320 times
I have posted this before, but I used Penske for a cross country move and was extremely happy with my truck, and the service I received. Their trucks are the newest in the business.

Had to use U-haul truck for my cross country trip back because a Penske dealer was not nearby. The U-haul cost me $1600.00 in gas for the trip, and was a piece of crap rust-bucket. When I dropped it off, the man who checked it in said he couldn't believe U-haul had rented me such an old truck for a cross country move.

Go with Pense if you can, you won't be sorry.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,484 times
I too have to say Penske. They matched the low prices we received somewhere else, and they treated us really well.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 AM

253 posts, read 484,667 times
Default weclome to TN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
We need to rent two large rental trucks to move our belongings from Tampa Bay, Fl to the Knoxville, TN area.

Can anyone comment on which truck rental companies have the largest and best trucks?

Are all 26' trucks the same between rental companies? U-Haul has an extra space compartment over the cab, does their truck have the most usable space among the rental companies?

Thank you.
we currently live right south of knoxville by about 20 min, in maryville, and want to welcome ya to the neighborhood!!! if there is any questions ya might have about the area, we will be glad to help, only been here 2 yrs, but can help with what info we can.
we are also retired military, and have moved alot, we always move ourselves, using uhaul, the big 26 footer. granted, with other companies, ya dont have to wheel wells inside to contend with, which does take a bit out of your floor space, but...uhaul has the lowest loading ramps, which we prefer given the heavy tall furniture we have, so we work around the wheel well humps....lol....so yes, we suggest uhaul to you.
on a cheap note....if you have time...skip buying your boxes from uhaul or moving companies...search craigslist, online, etc, or even hit up the recycle bins/stores for boxes, ya can almost always get good boxes for free, verses payen for them at moving company. we own our own straps, so we never rent them either, and we use our own blankets straight off the beds verses renting them to. if ya dont own a hand cart(dolly) then, yes, rent one, it makes everything faster. also...do get the rental insurance, unless your vehical insurance has it included in your policy(check)....otherwise, if you wreck, etc....your on your own for the items you may lose, and also check to be sure your policy will cover the uhaul itself if its wrecked. most do at least cover vehicle your driving on your insurance, but best to be sure, otherwise, its about a 100 bucks to insure your stuff inside as well as the truck with uhaul, we always get it to be safe.
again...hope your move goes well....feel free to ask us anything if we can be of any help....good luck on your move and welcome to TN!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 4,111,268 times
we used the 26' Uhaul on our move from WI to SC this winter. We asked for a newer truck so I had the right wiring harness in case i needed to use it to pull my boat. That wasn't requied on the actual trip, but it did ensure i got a new truck. Rode fine, and gas mileage was more then acceptable. The lower load height with ramp is much easier to use then a dock height truck.
We added the insurance on this ( though we never put it on rental cars ) as there seemed to be a grey area on our auto policies. And for about 80 bucks or so it was worth it.
Anyhow we had very good luck with that truck, and would use one again if needed

Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM

266 posts, read 552,038 times
Penske also seemed to be a bit cheaper for my family and we had no problems with the truck.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,042 posts, read 7,854,802 times
Penske has the best prices and will match competitors prices on rental trucks. Also, they have a reputation of having well serviced rental trucks.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,676,729 times
Penske, Penske!!! I would NOT do UHaul unless it was a local move. For long haul, go with Penske. Newer and nicer trucks, diesel, reasonable pricing, great customer service. I moved from TX to WA in a 22ft Penske with a car in tow. UHauls----gosh not only do I have horror stories but so do some of my friends.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 PM

157 posts, read 728,715 times
In Tampa Bay where I would be picking up a truck all the 26' U-Hauls look like brand new trucks. The U-Haul manager I spoke with said that U-Haul is replacing all their 26' trucks every two years now. Is this true?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues