U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:51 PM

16 posts, read 30,630 times

Advertisements

Here we are almost a year later and I have to say I am glad I moved back to this area. Kirkwood has been good, schools are great and thank the good Lord that my family has been here for me (but not too close)! I am feeling much more stable and looking forward to summer activities. It has been an adjustment to the seasons and moving things around-in/out, unpack summer clothes/pack up winter clothes etc. But I have enjoyed watching the earth changes and seeing again how life has its own seasons, time and space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 AM

16,416 posts, read 26,129,295 times
In my opinion, a person who runs from a small city and the moves to a big city can't go back to the small city. Even if you feel homesick, you'll leave again, my advice is just take a little vacation somewhere.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 AM

36 posts, read 55,704 times
this thread has been interesting to me because i feel like im going to end up in the same scenario within the next year or two

im 22 and have lived in the same town since i was 2. i dont like where i live (its not horrible, but the hot/humid summers and mild winters ruin it for me) and i feel like ive been trapped all this time due to school and university. i graduate next summer and after that i dont know what i want to do, but it should be somewhere else. i already know where i want to live at, and feel like i should while i can and wont have to live with the regret.

im not really like most people my age, i dont like the big city, the parties or being around a lot of people. i like the rural lifestyle, kinda like how i am now. it might be the age talking but i dont feel like i could come back after leaving, even though basically my entire family keeps their roots here

Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 AM

16,416 posts, read 26,129,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie&theBlowfish View Post
this thread has been interesting to me because i feel like im going to end up in the same scenario within the next year or two

im 22 and have lived in the same town since i was 2. i dont like where i live (its not horrible, but the hot/humid summers and mild winters ruin it for me) and i feel like ive been trapped all this time due to school and university. i graduate next summer and after that i dont know what i want to do, but it should be somewhere else. i already know where i want to live at, and feel like i should while i can and wont have to live with the regret.

im not really like most people my age, i dont like the big city, the parties or being around a lot of people. i like the rural lifestyle, kinda like how i am now. it might be the age talking but i dont feel like i could come back after leaving, even though basically my entire family keeps their roots here

If you think you'll be happy somewhere, do some travels there and spend time before just making a move. Remember, if you are unhappy somewhere, it's for a reason, just make sure you aren't unhappy because you've just been tired of working and whatnot, that's something an extra long vacation can clear up.

Also, I'm your age and although I love big cities and couldn't live outside of one... most of the people I know don't prefer the big city life. Do what makes you happy.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,337,416 times
sorry to hear about your homesickness and loneliness. if you stay, i hope it gets better for you, otherwise, you need to go to the place you long for. i left as quickly as i was able from my home and lived away for 3 years, had a great time, and hardly ever got homesick. if it werent for me having an unplanned pregnancy during my years of total independence, i probably wouldnt be back in my hometown today. i didnt have the support i needed as a single mom when i was on my own; my family were the only ones who could help. fast forward four years later (today) i am ready to go back out, just me and my son, to build a life of our own i hope you can move as soon as possible if it will make you feel better. do whatever you feel is best for you. good luck!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,517,317 times
I've moved several times in my life. I refuse to ever move back to a place where I've already lived. I have to remember there was always a reason why I left.....even if I have a nostalgic memory loss.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 PM

36 posts, read 55,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If you think you'll be happy somewhere, do some travels there and spend time before just making a move. Remember, if you are unhappy somewhere, it's for a reason, just make sure you aren't unhappy because you've just been tired of working and whatnot, that's something an extra long vacation can clear up.

Also, I'm your age and although I love big cities and couldn't live outside of one... most of the people I know don't prefer the big city life. Do what makes you happy.
me and my family did a lot of traveling when i was growing up. i was around the area for a few days, although this was like 4 years ago, but itd probably help it see it with a different light since im older and itd be more serious.

i just have a feeling that im stuck here because of university and family, and it wouldnt make sense to transfer since im nearly done. im just trying to get the antsiness out of me else itll become unbearable and expectations could become unrealistic.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 AM

104 posts, read 255,971 times
Smile I can relate on so many different levels

I moved away from all that i had ever known, 5 years ago~my husband and i moved to the other side of country (for many different reasons). I do not regret my decision, i have grown so much through this experience.

We are leaving the big city life now for something more rural. TRUST ME i have throught about moving back home to be near family/friends but i cannot. I have grown so much 'beyond' what that town has to offer me...i have changed. We are moving a bit closer to where 'home' is but that is as close as i will ever get To each their own~

Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM

155 posts, read 197,617 times
Default moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Life is too short to sit someplace while you want to be another. Every thing can be seen as an adventure. No one should feel stuck or like they have to stay a place they moved to. We gain knowledge from everything we do but that doesn't mean we can't at any time take another route.

I'm sitting again in a state I hate longing to get back out.
So, reading this two years after you posted, did you indeed get out? "we can at any time take another route" sounds good but something is missing in the equation MONEY.....I scrimped and saved to move but had a sudden disaster with 5K in vet bills. So now I am stuck. Selling my valuables, what little I have left, is not working in this depressed culturally vacant town. I tried it here, gave it two years, and it sucks. Hope your life is moving along.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

30 posts, read 158,913 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but a quick response to the OP: caution is advised when making emotional decisions about moving back "home". It seems you had a lot of emotional trauma and unresolved issues with your parents. Some unconscious desire to deal with that may be influencing your feelings about moving back to your home area. However, you have been away for a long time. It is relatively unlikely that by moving back, you can resolve your childhood emotional issues with your parents (even if they are still alive). You should attempt to solve these issues on some other level of your life, in the relationships and attitudes that are going on right now. Then you would also probably see that you won't need to move back after all. The act of moving back won't deal with your past emotional wounds, you may wind up in a situation where it seems that not much has changed, you get the same attitudes from your family and end up even more depressed. But you could certainly go back to visit your home area more often and give it some time, that should give you some clarity.

Last edited by pktp; 10-06-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or