Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times

Advertisements

it also depends on if you really wanted to move or did it to plaese someone else or just because you felt you had no choice careerwise, etc ...if you go to a place and situation you've always wanted to be in, it may take days to get used to it all..your heart has to be in it...I've moved to places where I never got used to it because I moved for all the wrong reasons.....live and learn..

Shazja, I understand what you're saying..sometimes what's scary to others can be comfortable to someone else..I love the bigger cities, even though they are considered more dangerous. I'd rather not know the people in my apartment building too well. Only you can decide what's a fair tradeoff, there are negatives to everything. Maybe you could write out a list of pros and cons and see where you stand and then read it in a month or so and see if you still agree..

Old 10-13-2017, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
It looks like the last post was 5 years ago, but I just found/needed this. It's been very therapeutic to read through them.
I moved from my home state for a job 400 miles away -- ten years ago. 3 months ago I moved back, or within two hours of where I grew up. There were so many things about the move that went well -- getting a new job, selling my house, etc -- but when I got here, I had troubles deciding where to live and things did not pan out like I thought they would. I'm currently renting and trying to feel like I'm "home". I just didn't realize how much having EVERYTHING different would affect me. It helps to know that this is a process, and that adjustment will come, even if it's not as quick as I'd hoped. Thank you all for posting your experiences.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
Maybe it depends on the person how long it takes for a place to feel like their home.

I think it was only about three or four months of moving to Wyoming it started to feel like home, but what really sealed the feeling was when I visited family back in California, six months after moving here, for two weeks over the summer and I finally got back to my valley here in Wyoming. Nothing felt better than seeing my mountains, being on those familiar country roads, and knowing that I was home again.

Honestly I think it's going to get harder and harder to go back to my hometown the longer I live here, there's nothing I like about there except the people we left behind.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
There is a similar thread on the Retirement forum. Many retirees have moved and want to know when they will feel like they are really home. The consensus is that it takes about 3 years to get to that feeling after a move. I am only 7 months into it, so I guess there is hope for me. Just need some patience.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
My period of adjustment for moves or anything stressful/angsty is usually front-loaded. The anticipation and not-knowing can be difficult. Once the move or the dreaded event has happened, I tend to be very resilient and adapt quickly to the new situation. For relocating specifically, I'd say I had adjusted practically and emotionally within a month or two. Setting expectations (that can be met) and feeling like I have some control over the situation once I'm in it are helpful for me.
These are my sentiments as well.

Time will tell, as currently I've not been here even a month yet, still unpacking! Wish me well...please!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:16 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberD74 View Post
It looks like the last post was 5 years ago, but I just found/needed this. It's been very therapeutic to read through them.
I moved from my home state for a job 400 miles away -- ten years ago. 3 months ago I moved back, or within two hours of where I grew up. There were so many things about the move that went well -- getting a new job, selling my house, etc -- but when I got here, I had troubles deciding where to live and things did not pan out like I thought they would. I'm currently renting and trying to feel like I'm "home". I just didn't realize how much having EVERYTHING different would affect me. It helps to know that this is a process, and that adjustment will come, even if it's not as quick as I'd hoped. Thank you all for posting your experiences.
Not sure how old you are, but I found it to be harder when I got older. Figuring out the puzzle of where things fit and what makes sense. Traffic patterns and intersections. You take a lot of things for granted when you've lived in a place for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues