U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,782,668 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! So I'm moving from Tucson to Omaha in the next few weeks, and I need some help deciding how I am going to move. I am getting a relo package from my new employer, but I am not sure yet how much it will be. This is also the first time ever I'll have to move with furniture, so I am very nervous. I have a sofa, lazboy, trunk, coffee table, side table, tv console, 42" tv, desk, chest of drawers, nightstand, and mattress/boxspring that are my big items. I'm moving by myself, so I don't have anyone to help me. I'm also moving from an apt complex with a tight parking area to either apt with a large parking area, a downtown condo, or a townhouse development. Any thoughts? Should I go full service? Pods with mover help? ??? I'm so confused... Lol... Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM

521 posts, read 3,927,422 times
Congrats on the job. Unfortunatley, you're planning your relocation during what's normally the busiest period in the moving industry. You might find your options limited. You're first order of business should be to find out what your entire relocation benefit is from your new employer. And then try to arrange at least three in-home estimates from reputable LOCAL companies ASAP. You will save both time and money by avoiding brokers!

Both full service movers and mobile/portable storage operators can be affected by restricted parking and/or impractical access on public thoroughfares, or private multi-unit housing parking lots. A good estimator can tell if you're facing a problem in Arizona.

Some full service movers have weight minimums during peak periods and extend their pick-up and delivery options to handle the increased business volume. It's usually more expensive to move during the first and last week of the month.

Check out my series on 'How to Find a Reputable Mover' at my blog. It offers some professional tips on how to sort through your options. Good luck

Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Congrats on the job. Unfortunatley, you're planning your relocation during what's normally the busiest period in the moving industry. You might find your options limited. You're first order of business should be to find out what your entire relocation benefit is from your new employer. And then try to arrange at least three in-home estimates from reputable LOCAL companies ASAP. You will save both time and money by avoiding brokers!

Both full service movers and mobile/portable storage operators can be affected by restricted parking and/or impractical access on public thoroughfares, or private multi-unit housing parking lots. A good estimator can tell if you're facing a problem in Arizona.

Some full service movers have weight minimums during peak periods and extend their pick-up and delivery options to handle the increased business volume. It's usually more expensive to move during the first and last week of the month.

Check out my series on 'How to Find a Reputable Mover' at my blog. It offers some professional tips on how to sort through your options. Good luck
I don't quite understand how a local moving comapny could be less expensive for a cross country move than someone like United or NorthAmerican... But thanks. I will check this all out !

Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM

521 posts, read 3,927,422 times
I apologize for not being more clear. When I suggested contacting a local company to obtain your estimates, I was referring to an agent of a national van line like United or north American.

You want to avoid using some of the unknown, out-of-state movers or move brokers found on the internet or in popular online classified sites. Many of these site promise low, low prices and great professional service but then fail to deliver on their claims once they have your furniture.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
I apologize for not being more clear. When I suggested contacting a local company to obtain your estimates, I was referring to an agent of a national van line like United or north American.

You want to avoid using some of the unknown, out-of-state movers or move brokers found on the internet or in popular online classified sites. Many of these site promise low, low prices and great professional service but then fail to deliver on their claims once they have your furniture.
Oh I see now... Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues