Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM

119 posts, read 1,027,791 times

Advertisements

We decided rather than get a truck and car trailer, we are going to just rent a small cargo trailer and pull it behind our SUV. But the only option we have found is U-haul. I am looking for alternatives, as while they are not bad, I would pay a little more for a nicer trailer (that is recommended for more than 45 MPH, that would be a long 2,300 mile move). Looking for something in the range of 4'X8', or around that. Anybody know of other rental companies that rent trailers besides U-haul?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
The car trailers have that sticker on them too. The speed limitation probably has more to do with their insurance and liability issues than the way the trailer was manufactured. As long as you've loaded the trailer correctly, you shouldn't have any issues pulling them at normal freeway speeds.

If U-Haul wants more than a couple hundred dollars to rent the trailer, you might want to consider buying a used trailer and then selling it at the other end of your move.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
There are other companies that rent trailers but they're usually only for local use. UHaul is pretty much the only national equipment rental company left that rents small trailers. Their inventory is dwindling because of the company's finances.

Most of the other truck rental companies abandoned their support because of the number of law suits involved with the high accident rate associated with the units. The rated MPH tells the story.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I second just buying a trailer, home depot used to sell a folding one. When you are done you keep it or sell it and recover your cash.
I found Ryder cheaper than u-haul by half.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM

119 posts, read 1,027,791 times
I was not aware Ryder rented trailers? The 4'X4'X8' U-haul trailer is $300 for 8 days, one way. Not too bad, but still.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,642 times
NO ONE rents trailers for one way rentals other than U-Haul, and you can travel at high speeds with no problems. I have driven cross country and traveled at 70 + MPH no problem, they track just fine as long as they have good tires

Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 208,260 times
I bought a used ford explorer to pull a trailer from Phoenix to Michigan. Guess what? U-Haul will not rent to me because I own an explorer. What a delema. I'm reading here that no one else rents trailers for one way travel. What can I do? Other than buy one.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
I would just buy a used one and sell it later. I thought the reason they had slower speed limits on those trailers was because of the crappy tires?

Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 140,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canklam View Post
I bought a used ford explorer to pull a trailer from Phoenix to Michigan. Guess what? U-Haul will not rent to me because I own an explorer. What a delema. I'm reading here that no one else rents trailers for one way travel. What can I do? Other than buy one.
I have a Ford Explorer and Uhaul installed the trailer hitch that allowed me to tow the 5x8 trailer. They gave you bogus info.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
There are private companies that rent what are called "toy haulers" (enclosed) of all sizes. You can rent by the day, week, or month...and the rates are not bad. Look in your local phone directory or on-line. I would assume most of these would want the unit returned to origin, but some may not. We are moving from Rhode Island to Maine, and I am renting a large toy hauler for $700 per month, as we are older and have a lot of stuff, and the wife doesn't want to be rushed with her packing. I expect to make probably 4 trips with it. I chose to go this route because I already have the pickup trucks to pull these trailers, and recoil at the cost of renting a moving truck (with the insurance costs) and the gas for it to make 2-3 trips (they will carry more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues