U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,001,385 times

Advertisements

We are now living in our 5th home in 10 years... I have posted in previous threads stating that we have moved quite a bit for my husband's job...
This move has been particularly stressful on us because our previous home stil has not sold and we were living apart as a family for almost 4 months.
Although now,living all together again in our new area for almost 6 months,I am still feeling extremely stressed.

My family has no idea what it is like to move as often as we have and I have many friends in our home town that also have never moved. However,they all seem to say "why is moving so stressful? you should be use to it by now,etc..".

My family (hubby and children) have adjusted really well to our new area,my husband just loves being so close to his job (he use to travel approx 72 miles ONE WAY ) to work... my oldest just loves her school and has made such nice little friends. I am the one having a hard time adjusting and quite honestly would like my family & friends to understand that moving IS STRESSFUL for many reasons...
I have met some very nice people,but I have also met some people that really could care less about anyone new coming into the area and pretty much just snub "you" off. It is so discouraging..

In any case, I would like to see from those who have moved often (or even just once is fine)_ if you feel that moving is very stressful and if so, why? what issues come with moving that make it stressful?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 AM

87 posts, read 255,939 times
Yes it is very stressful. I am on Zoloft now after my move. It was my first move. I am 38. I have never thought I would need to be on a stress/depression drug, but here I am. Being away from extended family is hard on me. New area, kids and wife struggling sometimes. It all adds up.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 AM

4,213 posts, read 12,567,500 times
It's all about change. Each of us handles it differently, from despising it to welcoming it and everything inbetween. Some of us get majorly stressed out and some don't.

Just look at a plant for example. Move it from one place to another in your garden or from a pot to a spot in the garden and it doesn't keep on growing right away - it has to reestablish its roots in new ground. Sometimes its leafy-ness wilts and the plant looks pretty darn sad - some plants bounce back quickly, while others don't. It doesn't matter how many times you reposition a plant - each and every time it has to reestablish its roots.

So it is with people.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 AM

128 posts, read 567,497 times
Default Stressful? Yes!!!

We hired a professional moving company, AAA Countrywide Van Lines, to move our belongings from New England to the midsouth. It was beyond stressful.

Anything that could go wrong did go wrong. The moving company was 12 hours late for the scheduled pickup. They never weighed our belongings after pickup or the truck prior. Apparently no scales were in operation in NE and they couldn't find any in TN. We live 3 miles form a set of truck scales in a 24 hour truckstop in TN.

We were told the delivery would be 7 to 10 days. It took 6 weeks and a lawyer in New Jersey who was kind enough not to charge 2 complete strangers. He said he enjoyed it; our story was all too common.

Not everything arrived and most of what did was broken or damaged. They demanded cash on arrival. Our paperwork indicated credit card which they finally accepted. We called the credit card comany before they were out of the subdivision. After months of negotiation the company waived the final charges. Of course the final bill was 2 times the original quote.

We only moved 2 rooms of furniture (bedroom and dining room) and miscellaneous household items. We figure we sustained approximately $10,000 in damages.

Next move...pods.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM

128 posts, read 567,497 times
Default Did I mention the cats?

We drove 1200 miles with 3 cats in the backof the car, an 18 year old, a 15 year old and an 8 year old baby. Just use your imagination.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 AM

370 posts, read 913,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbet View Post
We drove 1200 miles with 3 cats in the backof the car, an 18 year old, a 15 year old and an 8 year old baby. Just use your imagination.
That is hilarious, I CAN imagine.... "an 8 year old baby"...LMAO! It's a wonder you all arrived intact.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM

381 posts, read 1,232,212 times
For me, it's the coordination of it all that's so stressful. SO many different folks/services to rely on, and if one gets messed up it causes huge problems.

Once we've closed, gotten all the utilities hooked up and the moving truck is unloaded, I'm fine. My family does well with the adjustment piece.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,846,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
We are now living in our 5th home in 10 years... I have posted in previous threads stating that we have moved quite a bit for my husband's job...
This move has been particularly stressful on us because our previous home stil has not sold and we were living apart as a family for almost 4 months.
Although now,living all together again in our new area for almost 6 months,I am still feeling extremely stressed.

My family has no idea what it is like to move as often as we have and I have many friends in our home town that also have never moved. However,they all seem to say "why is moving so stressful? you should be use to it by now,etc..".

My family (hubby and children) have adjusted really well to our new area,my husband just loves being so close to his job (he use to travel approx 72 miles ONE WAY ) to work... my oldest just loves her school and has made such nice little friends. I am the one having a hard time adjusting and quite honestly would like my family & friends to understand that moving IS STRESSFUL for many reasons...
I have met some very nice people,but I have also met some people that really could care less about anyone new coming into the area and pretty much just snub "you" off. It is so discouraging..

In any case, I would like to see from those who have moved often (or even just once is fine)_ if you feel that moving is very stressful and if so, why? what issues come with moving that make it stressful?

Thanks
We just moved across town after living in the same house for a number of years and I can vouch for it being stressful. I think it is all about the change, wondering if you made the right decision, second guessing yourself and thinking of different scenarios that may have been better after closing day when you have a good interest rate locked in and are stuck until the market improves and you won't lose your ass moving again.

Jeers to the stress

Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 PM

64 posts, read 115,301 times
I just moved from Northern to Southern Cali and it was stressful for all sorts of reasons.

I think the number one was moving with pets - my cat did not enjoy the twelve hour ride in the moving truck, and it's stressful to have all your world's possessions behind you (I was towing my car, too).

Now that I'm here - I don't know anyone in the area. I've been trying to meet people online, the best luck I've had is with HivePals because they have a widget that broadcasts your people search on a ticker on their site, and also across any of your online profiles you want to put it on. Anyway, the stress of meeting strangers is also a factor.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 PM

2,753 posts, read 9,597,711 times
I was more stressed from selling my house. It wasn't easy keeping it "show ready" with 2 kids, plus packing. I set up my new house by myself so it was exhausting. Once done, I felt great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or