U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 PM

37 posts, read 183,043 times

Advertisements

I know I can't move before I find a job, but what's the use in looking for a job in an area and then not finding an affordable apartment nearby? I'm very frustrated at this point. The city I live in has about 20,000 people and I like it's size, but am having a very hard time finding an apt. for about $500 - $600/month. For various reasons, I don't want to live in Alaska, FL, MO, KS, WA, ME, OR or OK. I love the change of seasons, but don't want to shovel a foot of snow to get to my car. I'm single, in my mid 40's with no kids and make about $12/hr in an office setting. Has anyone gone through this before and do you have any suggestions as to how to look/what order? I'd like to move in the next couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 PM

217 posts, read 834,689 times
Here is my recommendation- I was in a similar situation in the three years ago, but in a region where the cost of living is 3x more compared to where you are.

First, Look for a region or place where you would like to live (lifestyle preferences) A place where you would enjoy getting up everyday and tending to your career. Perhaps, you could train for a more advanced position in your new city and increase your earnings.

Second, Consider and calculate how much money you will need to move to your new chosen locale and support yourself. A good rule of thumb is to have at least 7-9 months savings until you are secure in a new job, give or take it depends on the local economy.

Third, visit and shop around for an apartment get a feel for the area(s) spend some time there to make sure you like it. In addition, start networking and go on informational interviews to acquaint yourself with potential employers. Tell them you are moving in two months an look for employment.

Fourth, plan a moving date and find a reputable moving company. Shop around and get estimates. Check the Better Business Bureau in your area to make sure they don't have a long list of consumer complaints. Hire them for your move.

Fifth, once you are moved into your new home, start pounding the pavement and look for a job. Worst case scenario if you cannot find a job or good fit in your new city then you could always move back with a family member and reconsider what did not work. But I think it will work out just fine.

Last, here is a couple of mentions I will throw at you based on your parameters: Wilmington, NC Raleigh/Durham area, north of Atlanta (suburban) Sandy Springs, GA. I know San Antonio, TX is very reasonable I have a friend who moved there last year and said the rents are dirt cheap.

GOOD LUCK

Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM

2,750 posts, read 9,569,647 times
There are apts in that range in metro Atlanta. it may be difficult to find a job, and many places won't rent to an unemployed tenant. TX is a good suggestion also. I would find the area where I want to live, then find a job, then rent the apt. Easier said than done......good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM

14,155 posts, read 44,709,521 times
If you are interviewing on a professional level, generally the firm will fly you out to their location for an interview, take a day or 2 additional (pay for your own rental car and hotel) after the interview to do some house hunting. I always did this, to me the housing market around the job is part of the deal, I at least need to know something about the housing prices to be able to intellegently evaluate the salary offered. What would be *Big Money* in the rural Midwest would be starvation wages anywhere near San Fran.

You can find very cheap housing in Detroit but few jobs.

I wouldn't pick out a house/apt. first and then look for a job unless I worked in a profession like accounting where there are jobs "everywhere". And even then it might be a mistake.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,360,473 times
While I don't think you should actively look for housing before finding the job, or at least specific housing, you should scope out the types of places available in your target range before you accept a job. Most medium to big cities now have craigslist (www.craigslist.com); while individual cities may have other good places to look for housing, craigslist is a nice way to do some initial background research. You can then compare the general housing prices for your target apartment type with the comparable salaries for the area. You say you could make $12/hr, but in some cities with higher housing the salaries are also higher.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 AM

I understand what others are saying here, but the fact is that which ever way you choose, apartment or job first its basically win-loose situation. You can score a good job but not like the area or apartment or you can score an apartment and not find a decent job. One thing most people do not address is that fact that most employers are hesitant to hire someone from out of state who is not already local. The reason: its costly and a risk to an employer to hire someone from out of town who is not settled in. Some employers fear if the new hire does not like the area or job they may leave. Exception: unless you are highly qualified for a certain position, then they might call you in, if they hire you because they want you badly, then they might even pay for your relocation. The bottom line: In this economy the chances of employers going after you are slim, its an employers market not an employees market. There usually are qualified people locally. Advice point: do your homework/research, have a fair amount of savings, secure a new home, network/search for a new job, be confident and don't be a chicken little!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM

37 posts, read 183,043 times
Thank you for some wonderful advice. I never thought about moving, then looking for a job. I have money saved, so I would just need to figure out how long it would last and make sure it's enough before I take the big step. I got very lucky with my last move to OK. I found an apartment and made sure that if I didn't find a job, they'd let me out of the lease. I was there for two weeks, didn't find anything, flew back home, got a call saying they think they have the perfect job for me and asked if I could come back! All I saw were dollar signs for another flight. I got the job and moved three weeks later. I've never packed so fast in my life!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM

This time give it a little longer than two weeks, be patient something will come your way.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,799,301 times
Target potential cities online, then take a short trip to see if they are as good as advertised. If you find one you like, get newspaper info or job hunting info for online applications in that area. Get yourself a PO Box there so you have a local address to receive mail. Once you find a job then move.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,649,545 times
I would say to look for a short-term apartment, maybe even a corporate housing type of outfit that will give you a 3-6 month lease. Some places may even give you a month-to-month; if you look for it, you will probably find it. I think the best option is to save enough money to pay for 5 or 6 months of bills so you can move there and actually LIVE there while looking for work. From what I've encountered in looking for jobs far from home, many employers don't like to take a chance on someone who isn't already moved into the area. At the end of the 5 or 6 months, if you haven't found a job, you can make a decision to stay or go back home, and by now you'll have an idea if you want to try to move there again in the future.

I realize the OP found his job and moved but I'm just adding this for anyone else who reads the thread and was wondering the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues