Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM

42 posts, read 174,770 times

Advertisements

In your opinion which is safer for a single female to live in...an apartment or a house? I know the neighborhood, city, etc..makes a difference but I mean in general. The house being just a regular house sitting on a street with other houses..not a gated community. The apartment in a complex that anyone at anytime can drive in to. Any opinions would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
*MY* personal thoughts - after having a crazy ex-husband, I feel safer in an area where I am not alone. By that I mean, I prefer either an apartment building with locking doors (or if it was guarded 24/7 that is okay), or a home in a gated community.

I am making an exception right now: I live in a 3 family house. However, I have 2 males as neighbors, and my main apartment door is not connected directly outside. You have to enter through another locked door first. I do have a door that goes directly outside, but it is well hidden, and I have a regular lock, deadbolt, and chain on it (I didn't put them on, they were there when I moved in).

This is a big reason why I stay where I am. I feel safe.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
Please note that in my case, it was my ex that scared me into living like this. Had I never been with him, I probably wouldn't think twice as long as the neighborhood/town was safe.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times
Definitely an apartment, as high up as possible. That way there are only 2 ways to enter - the front door and the balcony. Your balcony door should be locked at all times unless you're letting some fresh air into the apartment.

In a house you have almost 10 ways to enter - the front door, back door, balcony/side door, the garage, and at least 4 or 5 ground-level windows! That's way too many entry points for me. I'll take an apartment over a house any day!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I am single and live in a single family home in a what I feel to be a safe neighborhood, Been here 7 years, so far, no issues. I feel safe and at peace.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
it depends on alot of different things .But with all buildig things equal;I would say I never liked putting my safety in the hands of other who living space is built on to mine.Its like say fifty frying food i their kitchen and having half using space heaters.I alos think that I do more maintaince than apartment more consistently than apartments do.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
I agree that an upper level apartment may be the safer option; especially if there is not a window that is easily accessible (by the front door for example). Windows are easy for someone to break and get into your apartment.

The apt I'm in is on the second level and the only windows/sliding glass door are on the side of the apartment opposite the front door; and as clevergirl05 stated, one would have to climb up the side of the building to reach the balcony or bedroom window.

Also, be aware of who your neighbors are, and the surrounding area. For one living alone and trying to be as safe as possible, it's best not to be overly friendly with people in your complex until you get a chance to know them, and it is a good idea to not have the same routine day in and day out, if possible.

Being cautious about going out alone at night is also something to think about.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
If you know the neighborhood and all things being equal, for single woman, the apartment (multi unit upper floors) is likely safer, simply for the fact there are more 'eyes' and randomness to activity and traffic. Less chance to be isolated in your abode and stalked without someone else noticing. That being said, you would want to know all entry/exit points and alternate your personal schedule of comings and goings. Criminals like targets with set routines.

An apartment that has good mix with elderly is likely more safe due to the amount of eyes (nosey or not) paying attention to the comings and goings. Look for building which has secure entry and high visibility. Some older buildings are not designed (or landscaped well).

Always, be aware of your surroundings and have worst case scenarios thought out. Check to make sure the apartment complex, if they have security cameras, that they actually are working. I've known some to simply place the cameras and neglect maintenance and use them as a placebo effect.

If you want house, choose one in close knit neighborhood where they are closer together (visible sightlines) - and again, strive for high numbers of 'eyes', with mix of home workers, elderly, etc.... always more safety in numbers (all things being equal). The old adage is 99 % true: 'Criminals look for easy targets'.

As for the 1% psychos or mentally disturbed, that is why everyone should learn basic self defense and have thought out ways of dealing with worst case scenarios. In vulnerable areas know what you could use as weapon if you cannot flee. This sort of thought process, while scary / morbid to some, may help you from 'freezing' up (a common problem) should something happen i.e. think it through.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times
For safety, I personally like the fact that apartments share walls with other tenants, so people can help if there is trouble. I also like that you can avoid being on the ground floor. There is an issue with hallways and stairs though since non-tenants can get access and be there.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I would say an apartment would be safer.

I think a key is to check the place out and not just on a guided tour they give you. Go there in the evenings and on the weekends to see what the activity is like. Are there a bunch of people walking around? Is it noisy? Is the place well lit? Are there teenagers around? Teens that live there themselves may not necessarily cause trouble but they can bring friends around who can cause trouble.

I prefer the 2nd floor for safety myself. You can basically create a "fatal funnel" of sorts if you have to defend yourself as the entry ways are usually limited in an apartment.

Situational awareness is key. Don't flaunt your prized possessions around, let people know what you own, etc. I keep to myself. My last landlord said she wouldn't even think someone lived there.

I live in an apartment right now. It is a gated community, even though is costs more than the other places, I feel it's worth it. It is well lit and a few of the local police officers live here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues