Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times

Advertisements

I have a huge amount of unopened mail accumulated over several years and I want to securely destroy it all. Are there any shredders rugged enough to do it and not jam up or break down? (I am potentially willing to spend lots of money if necessary). Or, alternately, any shredding companies that will allow me to watch them as they shred it? I am afraid of letting complete strangers have all my sensitive documents out of sight. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I have a huge amount of unopened mail accumulated ...
Sort through it for the actual FIRST CLASS postage marks. Make TWO piles.
Then review the real mail to be sure you haven't missed anything important.

As to the shredding... FedEx has the service and the real deal shred companies often have
sponsorship days at local venues (churches schools etc). Look for them.
Leave your paranoia in the car.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Do you know there are "sensitive documents" in the mail? Are these same documents being emailed to you? If so, why are they also being mailed to you?

Here's what I do every day and it works for me:

I get the mail. I chunk most of it in the regular trash because it's just junk mail. I shred anything like credit applications, or anything like that. For bills I get in the mail, I pay them online, mark as paid with the confirmation number, and I save them for a few months, in a file. I shred these documents several times a year. If it was a big pile, I'd burn it in the fire pit but I've only had to do that once, after settling an estate.

By shredding things as they come in, it's just a few pieces a week. I just bought a shredder at Office Depot or somewhere like that several years ago and it works fine.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Some non-profits in my area have shredding days where you can bring bags of documents to be shredded on the spot.

You can just Google "free shredding days" in your city to see if any are offered.

I agree that, if this is your mail, you need a new system to stop letting it pile up.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Many Banks/Credit Unions have "Shred" Can's (Basically) Locked Trash can with a slot in the top to drop the item in. In there lobbies or off to the side, That you can bring and deposit you Shred in.

They are probably not going to let you bring in boxes of stuff, But if you can get it down just to the stuff that really need to be shredded that might work.

As noted above community shred day are also limited to 3-5 Bags/boxes of "Stuff'.

You can also hire the big truck shred to come to your home, but that can be costly.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM

6,853 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Are you a mailman that hasn't been delivering all the mail?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:32 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I have a huge amount of unopened mail accumulated over several years and I want to securely destroy it all. Are there any shredders rugged enough to do it and not jam up or break down? (I am potentially willing to spend lots of money if necessary). Or, alternately, any shredding companies that will allow me to watch them as they shred it? I am afraid of letting complete strangers have all my sensitive documents out of sight. Thanks!
Sorry....I just have to ask. Why in the world would you not open your mail, especially sensitive documents. Did you not want to know what these documents said?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
I live in the country. We own a small shredder, but if I had a large amount of paper to dispose of securely, I'd burn it in our burn barrel. I understand that's not legal everywhere.

Professional shredding companies shred actual sensitive information, from billion dollar companies keeping track of large accounts, for a living. Not sure why you don't think they can be trusted with old mail that wasn't even worth opening, for you?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:07 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Sorry....I just have to ask. Why in the world would you not open your mail, especially sensitive documents. Did you not want to know what these documents said?
It could be junk mail. I get a lot of that... for me, for former tenants "or current resident" and a lot of it ought to be shredded (like, different agents from one big insurance company keep sending to some former tenant "or current resident" which means I get stuck with it, and something like that probably needs to get the shred).

Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
There are mobile shredding services that charge by the pound. If this is a one-time deal during preparation for a move, the convenience and satisfaction might be worth it. When I cleared out my dad's house I had about 50 years worth of financial "records" (I mean a hodge podge of stuff that actually never needed to be kept, stuff that might have been important for a week over 20 years ago, and a surprisingly small amount of stuff that was actually necessary or worthy of filing) to get rid of. Looked up shredding services in the yellow pages and had a truck come to the house. All told, ended up being about 1500 lbs of shred. You might be heading down this road. I don't recommend it.

OP you need a better system to deal with your mail. For one thing, turn off "hard copy delivery" if you don't even open the envelopes. I have 4 basic categories for mail:

Junk with no personally identifiable information. Doesn't even make it all the way into the house. Recycle paper box immediately.
Junk with personally identifiable information. Shredding box immediately. Or, tear off or black out the sensitive info portion and recycle the rest.
Temporarily useful information (bank statements, bills). Pay the bill, balance the statement, answer the letter, then shred every couple of months.
Long term or permanently useful information. Scan and file or save hard copies in a banker box. Almost nothing ends up here.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-05-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues