Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 61,764 times

Advertisements

I'm close to taking a job in California. The relocation package will be nice and comprehensive, but the relo timeline may be very short. Perhaps too short to enable me to drive to the west coast with my two medium sized dogs.

The more likely scenario is that I will need to leave my dogs with friends/kennel for three or so weeks while I close on the house/live in a hotel, and then have a friend prepare and deliver the dogs to the transportation origin. I'll be seeking the best overall transportation method I can find, with considerations including dogs' physical and emotional well-being, cost, and time on the road.

Good as the relo package is, it does not include funds or time off for pet-centric activities. Cost won't be the driving force in my decision on how to get them to me, though ... their well-being will be.

If anyone has experience with (and/or suggestions for) sending their pets cross-country, I'd very much appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
It's been several years since I had to ship my dog, but it used to be that Delta was the best airline for live animals. You will want to try to find a direct flight. If that's not possible, then go for the shortest layover reasonable (those airline approved crates get hot and stuffy when left in the cargo area for too long this time of year). Also, get your dogs used to being crated (if they aren't already) so that it isn't as stressful for them. Finally, talk to your vet about some type of medication to keep them calm/relaxed. Above all else, do what you can to make the trip as short as possible for them. For liability reasons, the air cargo folks are not allowed to open the crate for any reason - not even to give them water/food. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM

69 posts, read 191,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJack View Post
I'm close to taking a job in California. The relocation package will be nice and comprehensive, but the relo timeline may be very short. Perhaps too short to enable me to drive to the west coast with my two medium sized dogs.

The more likely scenario is that I will need to leave my dogs with friends/kennel for three or so weeks while I close on the house/live in a hotel, and then have a friend prepare and deliver the dogs to the transportation origin. I'll be seeking the best overall transportation method I can find, with considerations including dogs' physical and emotional well-being, cost, and time on the road.

Good as the relo package is, it does not include funds or time off for pet-centric activities. Cost won't be the driving force in my decision on how to get them to me, though ... their well-being will be.

If anyone has experience with (and/or suggestions for) sending their pets cross-country, I'd very much appreciate it.
Thats a tough one I have and again in the same situation..First time I had my son drive my truck and bring the 2 dogs and hampster from west coast to east coast..maybe for a fee a friend would bring them for you..and this time I have googled dog transportors, find a sight and recieve bids on transporting and if lucky there may be one in your area you can ck. out.Thats what i did and there is a transportor not far, that will transport about anything.I have 2 mastiffs, lab and pom, and will usaully give you a discount for more then one.good luck

Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM

19 posts, read 61,764 times
Thanks for the inputs. I've done some online research, too, and will be glad to share links, splcnd, when I'm at my home computer.

Both my dogs are okay in crates ... unless they know I'm nearby, then they are soooo no happy about it. Of course, they've never been in a crate under such duress, movement, noise, and such. Man, that's got to be hell for any dog.

Anyway, the more I've thought about it, the more set I am on swaying things so that I can drive out on a four-day/three-night weekend ... after I've closed on the house and completed at least the basic dog-friendly preparations there.

Hopefully, new boss will agree to the drive and backward house-close/driving time-off combo. If not, then I'm still searching for inputs, opinions, and leads for separate transport of the canines.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM

400 posts, read 738,198 times
This article from today's Newsday might interest you, about a new airline called "Pet Airways": New airline transports pups as passengers -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipet1512970051jul14,0,1123157.story - broken link)

I think it's a great idea, and about time!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:51 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
I had 3 dogs when I had to relocate from CA to WA. I took my St Bernard with me in my car because she was used to traveling.
I arranged to have the other two dogs shipped one month apart.
My friend who was caring for them took them to the vet and the vet administered a sedative and loaded the dog into the shipping kennel. The were put aboard the plane and arrived about 3 hrs later.
I did these shipments in late spring because I was told that there is no temperature control in the animal shipping compartment. When I picked up my dogs, they were still basically sleepy and had required no water or food during their transportation.
They recovered quickly and were happy to be with me. One of the things I did experience was a short problem with the the 3 dogs because they had been separated for 2-3 months, but they got over that and were soon best buddies again.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
This article from today's Newsday might interest you, about a new airline called "Pet Airways": New airline transports pups as passengers -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipet1512970051jul14,0,1123157.story - broken link)

I think it's a great idea, and about time!
I agree wholeheartedly
Heard they're already booked into the next 2 months.
Was the husband and/or wife already pilots or did they take it up once this vision came to their mind?
This works great stateside. Wonder if they'll someday make it 'world-wide'? Being a past military member, was given a dog when my DH and I were in Italy. Of course, at the end of my tour; I wanted to bring our pooch back stateside. This was back in the early 80's. The airline reps were good to my dog and the trip back home was without a hitch. I did wish my dog could have flown beside me. I would have paid the extra money. I can understand the allergy issues that some people have. I only wish that the new pet airline would allow the pet's family member/s to ride too. Oh well.... I've heard 'begging' won't work.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times
If you are flying your dogs across the country it is best not to sedate them. The effects of tranquilizers on animals at higher altitudes are unpredictable. And some airlines wont fly the animal if it has been sedated.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
Check out this community of pet owners My Pet Move - See. Spot. Move. . The site is operated by Pet Relocation, LLC, a Texas based company that specializes in both domestic and international pet transfers of all types. The company was recently given "Best Service Provider" award by a British relocation company Relocation Dilemma : Help I need to move my turtle!!!! | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place . If you check out their forums, most of the visitors share which are the best airlines to use in which travel channels.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
Ive shipped one of my dogs out of absolute necessity but never again.
My female GSD flew from Santa Fe to Alabama and it was terrifying for her. But every vet I talked to regarding tranquilizers were opposed to the idea. She survived the experience but it is sooo rough on them. I wouldnt ship a dog in the summer months at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues