U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,602 times

Advertisements

I have moved several times over the past three years, from Dallas, to Hoboken, to Niagara, and my recommendation is taxidermy. It is truly the "no-hassle" option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 PM

515 posts, read 2,114,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I have friends who are multi-cat owners and who swear by Bach's Rescue Remedy, so it's certainly worth giving it a try.

As for general travelling, IMHO cats should ALWAYS be transported in carriers. One very helpful suggestion I received a few years ago was to line the bottom of the carriers with three or four layers of puppy "wee wee pads." That way, if any of the kitties has an accident, you can just pick up the top pad, and the bottom of the crate will still be protected.

I'm heading off on a 3,000 mile trip myself in a couple of weeks -- accompanied by seven cats -- in a Penske truck. Wish us luck!
7??? wow. Good luck with that! I'm dreading moving 2 cats in the back seat of a Jetta for 2500 miles. 2 large cats, that is! 35+ lbs of cat between them. My plan is to buy the largest animal crate that will fit back there - one made for a larger dog, so they will both fit comfortably, and to have a smaller carrier with a litter box accessible, just in case. I was going to ask the vet for some kitty valium or something, but sounds like this rescue remedy might be a good idea. Has anyone used Rx drugs? I don't think they'll be to afraid, they traveled a lot as kittens, but the one is extremely vocal and I'm afraid he will voice his displeasure at being confined for all that time for hours on end, and drive me crazy!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,130,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapr220 View Post
I am going to making a trip from Michigan to Las Vegas in a month and was wondering what anybody thought of having him shaved before the trip to keep him cooler. I am worried about the heat, seeing as we will be driving through the desert.
If you haven't had your cat shaved before, it's probably best not to do so the first time when you're about to head out on a cross-country trip. He's already going to be stressed enough, I suspect.

Way back in the day (in 1981) we moved from Michigan to extreme South Texas in August in an un-airconditioned vehicle. It was not fun for any of us, but one trick that we found that worked pretty well was ice.

We had built a large carrier box for the cats, big enough for both of them plus food and water and a small pan of litter, and the first day, they were fine. By the time we reached Arkansas, though, they were clearly in distress, panting and obviously overheated. We stopped at a gas station and bought a bag of ice, and just put that in the box with them. Within moments, both cats were stretched out on top of the ice, where they stayed for most of the rest of the trip. Of course, we had to replace the ice a couple-three times a day, but it was a pretty cheap and very successful solution.

Good luck to you and your furry friend in your move!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 122,827 times
Default Long distance move with dogs

I will be moving from Chicago to Denver is the next couple of months.
I will be driving the moving truck and towing my car.
My wife will be driving her van with the kids/two small dogs.
We will be obviously stopping 2 nights in hotels- do hotels typically accept pets? They are both small.
Can I leave them in the van in their crates overnight?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:46 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,575,301 times
I think you will be able to find hotels that will take dogs.

Start looking now, and you should be able to plan your trip around those hotels that will.

I hate to think of a dog stuck in a car all night. There are crazy people out there. If it were my dog, I'd find a hotel that would allow them and keep them nearby.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:15 PM

973 posts, read 2,972,551 times
Splashback,
It is never a good idea to leave a pet in your car (van) overnight. Not only is it neglectful but in many places, it would be a misdemeanor crime. If someone were to hear them inside and you weren't around, they might report it to the police or humane society.
There are plenty of motels that accept pets. Go online and type in "Pet friendly hotels" and see what's available. I made a long trip with my pets and had no trouble finding a place that would take them. There is usually an extra fee. There are several national chains that accept pets for a nominal fee and you should have no trouble finding one.

Also, I would strongly recommend getting a moderate sedative for your dogs. Moving is stressful on everyone, including the family pets who can be scared or confused. A sedative will help to keep them relaxed and less likely to bark, pace, whine or otherwise fret about the situation. Most vets will gladly give you enough sedative pills to get through several days and it is pretty inexpensive. My dogs pills only cost me $15 and there was enough for 2 full days and nights. I gave her a pill that was squashed inside of a cube of cheese and it took effect within an hour. She was usually a wreck in the car but ended up handling a 2 day trip pretty well.
Good luck with your move!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,830,779 times
I helped friends move to North Carolina from Long Island. It was a 14 hour drive and the pets handled it very well. I'd be careful with the sedatives if your pet is sensitive to things like that. I've heard pets can get carsick more often with a sedative. My friends decided against it and it worked well for them. I drove her car down with her large (75lb) dog in the back seat. The small dogs, birds and the cats went down in a van with her, everyone in crates for their safety. Did I mention we also had two horses to move! LOL! It was a fun trip.

Luckily since it was a 'short' trip, we didn't need to find hotels, but as other posts indicate, there are pet friendly hotels around. I have friends that take their two dogs (St. Bernards) on vacation with them, and they've had no problems finding pet friendly hotels just about anywhere, even on the beach!

Please don't leave them in the crates in the car. If you normally crate them at night, please do in the hotel, as it will make them more comfortable since the routine will be the same. But in the car too many things can happen.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:36 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,159,527 times
Most Super 8, & Motel 6 motel's are pet friendly. Of course check ahead. I used to keep those motel guides for different chains in my work truck when I was on the road so I could call a couple of hours ahead to a couple different places and find just what I was looking for and was sure how far I would make it in a day. I stopped by the local places before I went out on a trip and picked one up at each chain.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,543,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Most Super 8, & Motel 6 motel's are pet friendly. Of course check ahead. I used to keep those motel guides for different chains in my work truck when I was on the road so I could call a couple of hours ahead to a couple different places and find just what I was looking for and was sure how far I would make it in a day. I stopped by the local places before I went out on a trip and picked one up at each chain.
If you want a step up, Econolodge also accepts pets with a small extra charge. They also have free wifi. A lot of places located where people are traveling will individually accept pets too.

My dog, a 13/14 year old beagle, did great on our 1400 mile trip. She had a space in the back seat where she could sleep or look out the window and had a good time. The cat was in a crate AND sedated. All of the household made it fine and is settling in nicely.

Good luck on your move and don't try to hurry too much.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM

1,510 posts, read 4,654,465 times
Quote:
We will be obviously stopping 2 nights in hotels- do hotels typically accept pets? They are both small.
Can I leave them in the van in their crates overnight?
DO NOT leave your dogs in a van or car at ANY time, day or night.

I am moving across the country next week with my 2 small dogs, and I would never even think about leaving them inside a car overnight. There are plenty of hotels that allow pets. Check Pets Welcome.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues