Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times

Advertisements

I agree with TroElli --- Mount Rushmore and that area of South Dakota is a must. We had our dog with us, and although it meant we couldn't do everything (couldn't take him into the Corn Palace or into Wall Drug for examples), he was very welcome in Mount Rushmore and enjoyed walking the trail to the base of the mountain as much as we did. He thought the sniffs and smells of the Badlands was bizarre, and our trip through Custer State Park made his nose go crazy (buffalo, begging donkeys, prairie dogs.)

One part of the area is the Needles Highway - definitely worth driving, but vehicle size is limited, and you cannot take any kind of trailer through.

We were able to find plenty of pet-friendly hotels, so that won't be a problem at all.

As for extensive sightseeing anywhere along your trip, you'll have two choices: either limit it to what your dog can do, too, or make arrangements at different doggie daycares along the way -- it's never a good idea to leave a dog in the car, especially in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
We moved from SC to NE last May, with our old spaniel and my Afghan. We had a great time - took our time and explored - and stopped at rest areas often for the doggies to do their doody, wallow in the grass (in the proscribed areas) and play. We even laid down in the grass (it was very warm and sunny) and fell asleep with them! We found lots of pet friendly places and some nice motels (not 'fleabags') to put our pets in with us. It helps to have the laptop out at every evening stop and map your next journey's leg; you can change your routes and do sightseeing, and call up places online to see if they are pet friendly or not. Most have pet places, a few have pet restrictions.

I think our pups survived far better than we did!

As for the moving people - they would RATHER you pack everything yourself. We used packers and movers from the same company for a 4 BR house, antiques, and two shops, so my 'estimate' would be very far off the mark for comparison. But Allied was swift and delivered on time - even allowing for two weeks as we requested to deliver.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 17,572 times
Try ABF. My husband and I used them when we moved from Minneapolis to Seattle, and we're using them right now to move back. If having something dropped off near where you live isn't an option, they do terminal-to-terminal moves with their "ReloCube" things (basically a 6' by 7' by 8' storage container you pack up and lock, and then unlock and unpack at the other end). They will store the locked cube for you at the terminal at the other end for an additional fee, if you're taking time to sightsee on your way out. I'm pretty sure you could get a local moving company to move your stuff to the cube and pack it up, if you wanted to pay for it, or you could rent a U-Haul locally and take it out there yourself.

If you don't have much furniture, you can fit an amazing amount of stuff in one of those cubes (especially if you use linens and clothing as packing material around fragile items to save space) -- just be careful to pack it all the way to the top and tie off each row to keep stuff from shifting. Also, be aware that while you can do a terminal-to-home move where they'll drop it off at your new place on this end, there are restrictions within the actual city of Seattle that limit that quite a bit (the suburbs are mostly fine; we're ten blocks out of Seattle and had no problems), and if you're picking up your stuff, the nearest terminal is in Everett, a little ways north. We had our U-Haul for picking stuff up for a limited time, so that was a factor when we moved out here. If you have a driveway with a level spot, they can put it there, though. I'm doing that for this move and it's been very convenient.

My quoted price from Seattle to Minneapolis this time was around $1250 for one of the cubes. That was for door-to-door service, with three business days to pack it up on this end and two to unload at the other end. They give a discount for a second container if you need two, though I haven't tried doing that. The customer service I've had from them has been great (which I can't say for U-Haul...I've NEVER had a good experience with them). So if you're trying to decide between shipping your stuff this way and driving it across the country, I'd definitely go with the former. It's much less stress and hassle.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 AM

39 posts, read 128,187 times
we are definitely going to look into ABF! i've heard more positive things about that company than any others, and it also appears to be the least expensive. I contacted them as well, and found out they have special parameters for working within NYC--the trailer driver will wait outside your building for 4 hours as you load, which gives you time to load everything if it's a small move like ours. We couldn't be more happy to hear such good things about the company.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
With packing, get boxes from a mover. Or used ones but make sure the size is uniform. The ones made for moving are also much heavier and insulating. But the main advantage is you aren't stacking a bunch of boxes which don't quite meet. Pack for weight. Label the box abcd etc and keep a list of whats in each but make sure you can pick up the box. Your back will thank you. I took extra cans and stuff like that and stuffed it in very light boxes so the heavy and light balanced out.

Furnature wise, if its no important to you leave it. Couches are cheap (Salvation army has wonderful ones for cheap) and there are yard sales and other options. I dumped my walmart dresser, which fell apart coming down the stairs anyway, and have a beautiful hardwood one with inlaid glass now. For half what the walmart one cost. Fair trade I'd say.

Pack the fragile things first, and label them multiple times. Store them seperately. If you don't have much, take it with you in your car. That way you know its not being bounced.

Animals.... I moved with a small terrified cat and an old dog who viewed it as an adventure. Be very grateful you aren't dealign with moving a cat. First make sure your dog has all the shots available and that you have the paperwork. Check on the state requirements for rabies. California accepts two year vaccinations, Oklahoma only the one year variety which I wish I'd known.

Bring a blanket your dog is used to sleeping on and make a nice comfy bed. If you use a carrier do the same. It gives them comfort. If you dog is okay with cars fine, but if not get a trank for the trip. Use only if you have to but its better than needing one. Never feed in the morning. Feed when you get to the motel at night. Make sure you don't coop up the dog in the car for 12/13 hours. Take your time and give them "sniff" time. Use frontline with tick protection before you go and ask your vet about heartworm protection too, as well as the best flea/tick/etc choice.

Never ever ever every leave the dog in the car. When you stop to eat, do drivethrough or take out. Not only is your dog in danger of heat injury but to be stolen. Never let your dog off leash until you get to your new home unless your in the motel. Even if he is fine with it at home you won't be in the familiar. For little dogs they actually make dog car seats. My dog was too big but this might be helpful for you too.

Get a tag with your name and phone number and make sure your dog is wearing it in case he gets loose. If he's chipped better but have something on the dog to identify the owner.

Make sure to give your dog plenty of attention. Dogs view change with suspecision. He may wonder when you're going home and getting lots of attention from you will help him adjust.

I don't know about the rules at national parks but check first. Make sure all the vaccination paperwork is ready to show. If it doesn't work to bring in your dog, most vets board. If its for overnight it should not be too expensive and your dog is safe.

And don't stress yourselves on the move. Don't try to pack it all at once. If you have a studio you may have the problem I did, where to put boxes. If you have furnature you aren't taking and you need the space get rid of it before the day. The more that is packed and ready to go out the door before the easier and saner you'll be when you get in the car to go. I don't know if they have the storage places in your area but if you don't have space at home renting a small one and getting it ALL packed will simplify things greatly and if all the boxes are in one place its easy to load them.

And don't hurry. I know you are doing sightseeing which is a wonderful idea. Don't make any of it a race. Its a transititon and arrive with the beauty of a continent in your minds.

And best of luck with everything.

Last edited by nightbird47; 03-30-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Default Moving multiple animals cross country?

At the end of May, we'll be moving four horses, two dogs and six cats cross country. We're splitting it into a three day trip to alleviate wear and stress on all involved.
Obviously the horses will be hauled in the trailer and we're booking stays for them at horse motels along the way. Both dogs are heelers (one blue, one red) and are used to being around horses. Our plan is to haul the dogs loose, one in each vehicle and bed them down in the horse trailer after we drop the trailer at the horse hotel. The cats will be riding three each to a large dog crate, complete with food, water and litter boxes. Now here's my problem.... obviously we're going to be giving sedatives to the cats/dogs, but do I leave the cats in the crates in the truck, weather permitting, or allow them out into the hotel room? There will be ample room in the crates for sleeping, etc so that's not an issue. My concern comes from the thought of trying to put six cats back in crates each morning.

They're used to sleeping in and around our beds at night, so I don't know if it'll distress them more to leave them up in the crates or to keep stuffin' them back in.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
wow I would not let the cats out in the motel room because the maid or someone could accidently open the door and you would not get your cat back . just be carefull taking all these animals cross country . Boy i thought I was bad with a parrot and two chis in the truck with me and hauling a car behind me . You sure have me beat . I hope I helped and good luck with the move dear .

Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
Good luck on your move!!! I agree on not letting the cats out in the hotel/motel room - it's such a short period of time, and if one slipped through the door, your trip could be sidelined trying to catch a scared cat.....but I think I would bring the crates into the hotel room at night with you.....rather than leaving them in the truck/car. I would suspect your cats will be the most 'confused' by this, so I would recommend taking extra steps to insure their safe containment until you are safely in your new digs. Even when you arrive at your new home - I would acclimate them slowly, so you don't have 'runaway' cats because they were given access too quickly to open space.

Are sedatives necessary? You know your animals best - but we didn't find them necessary on our move. Our dogs thought it was a great adventure!

We moved from Texas to Delaware (and then back) with two young boys, four large dogs, a cat, an iguana, 2 hamsters and several snakes......with one overnight hotel stay along the way and we all arrived in one piece....I send you the same wishes for your move!!!

Keep telling yourself - we're almost there - we're almost there......and soon - you will be

Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The only problem I see is if the dogs start howling from being in the trailer at night. That could cause a problem with any motel. I always pay to keep our cats in the room in their crates with a little time to be out side the cage in evening.Also walk the dogs.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
I came back to your post because I remembered walking the dogs at our regular pitstops for meals and bathroom breaks - and I see that Texdav suggested as much - and I agree! Our stops took longer because we had to be sure everyone got walked, watered and back inside the car safely. We made sure we had their leashes ready at hand before any doors were opened on the car, to avoid a loose dog on the highway. I'd be sure the dogs had on ID tags with contact info - just in case. Also - If your dogs aren't accustomed to doing their business 'on lead' - this could take a while ;o)

I figured your dogs had previously slept in the horse trailers - and if the horse hotel is okay with them being there - they will probably be fine - but I'd be sure the contact for the horses could reach me if something happened with my dogs.

We also made sure to have each of their evening food portioned in ziploc bags, along with their bowls, in our car with us, so that our night stop was easy where feeding was concerned.

It sounds like a lot of work, but honestly, once you stop a time or two, you'll get a system down and I bet your trip goes without issue.

My biggest concern starting out - was making sure none of my pets were 'loose' in a strange place - whether that was a rest stop, motel room, or our new home while it was 'new' to them.

Safe travels.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues