Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 AM

266 posts, read 864,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
how does the dog do in the car on just trips around town?? that will give you some idea of how he will do over the long haul .... or should at least.... i know another poster earlier in this thread talked about her dog becoming distressed when they traveled a given distance away from home, and though I am not discounting the experience in the least, that post is the only time i have ever heard of something like that happening. the dog should be fine in the backseat and will likely be a WAY better traveler than the cats. when i travel with my dog (a 50 lb red heeler mix), i make sure we stop about every 3 hours at the most so that she can stretch her legs and do her business, get a drink of water, etc. ..... she does not eat while we are on the road..... the longest trip she and i have ever done is about 700 miles over about 12 hours, so that is not a problem for her....... once the general excitement of "going for a ride in the car" has worn off, she generally hops in the back seat and dozes..... sometimes sits up and looks out the window like a little person..... to the delight of cars beside us..... many rest stops along the interstates have specific dog walk areas... and i have even found some truck stops do too...... at the least, there is usually a good sized grassy area or field adjacent to or parallel with most truck stops......

cats are much tougher..... if they are "close" like mine are, i would get a large-ish carrier that they can be in together.... put in a couple of old t-shirts that have your scent on them (maybe wear them to sleep in for a couple of nights before you hit the road) .... also, if there are any toys they are particularly attached to..... you may want to investigate mild tranquilizers from the vet...... i have had cats that traveled just fine in the car and i have had cats that absolutely hate it and cry the whole time they are in the car. for a long trip such as this one, you'll want to try to figure out a way to let them out of the carrier a couple of times a day to see if they need potty breaks..... this can be challenging, but where there is a will, there is a way........ you will need to offer water as well ... i would hold off feeding until you get to your stopping point in the evening.......

the hamster should be a walk in the park ..... smallish cage with whatever bedding he normally has in his regular cage.... as much food and water as he seems to be interested in.

actually... you may want to consider you and your husband each driving a car to allow more room for the fur children..... sounds like your dog is a good sized fellow and the carrier for the kitties and the hamster cage could take up quite a bit of the back seat, not leaving much room for him to stretch out and be comfortable for extended periods of time.......

best of luck to you.......
I had a dog and a cat and an infant lol. So when moving it can get pretty vocal in my car. If its not one its another. My dog usually sits up front on the floor. He is old and weighs about 24 lbs. He is a chill dog but even in a 10 hr car ride he gets very antsy. So if he starts howling which he does we stop and take him for walk and give him a little bit of food and water. That usually settles him. We also put an old towel on the floor for him to lay on cuz he is pretty furry.
As for the cat she is a pain. We never take her out of her carrier . She usually meows for the first 3 hrs and then gets car sick. this time i am going to the vet before we leave and asking if there is something i can give her to prevent this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,946,239 times
for traveling with cats, you may also want to get small dog harnesses for them and attach leashes if you let them out for potty breaks...... that way, if they do make a break for it, they won't get far.......

we used to take the cat we had when i was a kid traveling, camping, etc. and this worked very well...... he did eventually figure out how to pull himself out of it, but it took him awhile..........

Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,168,987 times
I moved from Texas to Michigan, to Illinois, and finally to New Hampshire toting 2 cats and 1 dog.

We did our research ahead of time for pet friendly lodging. This last move to NH, we camped in pet friendly camp grounds. I'd have to say it was a blast. There were 3 adults and 2 additional dogs along on this last journey, but it helped keeping one person (me) at the camp ground to watch the pets. Completely doable. Never had a bird, but try to have fun and enjoy your adventure. It will make for some pretty fun pictures and tales to tell your family and friends.
If you have mostly indoor animals as we do, make sure to stay with them at all times (keep them leaded or leashed at the camp grounds if you're not walking them). There was some night life (wild life) activities that my dog Sunshine came across. She just wanted to smell this new animal's butt.....

Yes...those are porcupine needles in her snout! As soon as we got them out gently, she raced over to the picnic table to sniff some more! Thank God they weren't deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving with pets-peanut.jpg   Moving with pets-peanutdash2.jpg   Moving with pets-tentsleep.jpg   Moving with pets-needlesdog.jpg   Moving with pets-porcupine.jpg  

Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
for traveling with cats, you may also want to get small dog harnesses for them and attach leashes if you let them out for potty breaks...... that way, if they do make a break for it, they won't get far.......

we used to take the cat we had when i was a kid traveling, camping, etc. and this worked very well...... he did eventually figure out how to pull himself out of it, but it took him awhile..........
I moved from California to Oklahoma with a dog and cat. Dog was a breeze, she slept or looked out the window. The cat went to the vet and got some nice pills to make her sleepy. After the first day I used them since she appeared to be too scared to make a sound ( my cat is a confirmed wuss). You can buy harnesses which are specifically made for cats, any large pet shop should have them. Dog types don't fit cats right. Keep the harness on the cat at ALL times, and use a leash. In case kitty gets our of the carrier, the leash is your friend.

Make sure the carrier is big enough for the cat to move around. Most of the time a cat will neigher drink nor pee, so plan a drive of no more than 8/9 hours. Also do NOT get those mesh carriers. Kitty claws rip netting open without any trouble. Make sure the latch fastens well and check it periodically.

When you arrive at the motel, bring kitty in carrier into the room. Go to the bathroom, put the litter box down, and water. Then open the carrier. Kitty will make a bline for the bathroom.

Leave harness and leash on kitty in the room. When kitty finds a place to hide you missed the leash ruins their revenge. But before you let kitty our (or when kitty is in the bathroom with the door shut) check dressers and Any place small enough for a cat to burrow inside. When your getting ready to leave, before you tip off the cat, give her her pill (vet said a half hour before departing) and put her in the bathroom or carrier. You do NOT want to spend an hour trying to find kittys hiding place while the truck and the day awaits.

Food wise, no food in the morning. Feed kitty when she's settled down after arriving at the motel.

And get ALL the shots you must updated before you go, and have the paperwork ready to prove it. Check to see if a one year or two year rabies for the dog is required. If they do a one year vaccination and you have the two year, in that second year your dog is considered lapsed.

And never ever leave them along in the car for more than a few minutes, and keep the car in sight anyway. If its hot do not leave them without the ac on. Take the dog out on a leash. But no food until the motel like the cat.

And relax. Take the right precautions and you should be fine.

Oh, and when you get to your new place. Find a room you won't be going in. Put cat, in carrier in the room with food water and litter box. When your busy do NOT open the door. My cat got scared and ended up hiding under the porch. Like I said, a leash is your friend. And do not trust the door on the carrier to prevent a freaking cat from finding a way to open it.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,398,676 times
We do cross country trips twice a year with our 55 lb. dog. He loves it We do have a pet seat cover and we lay his bed on the floor on the one side of the car. We stop at the rest stops often and always try to stay at a LaQuinta who accepts dogs with no extra fees.

Good luck on your trip.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:47 AM

288 posts, read 915,389 times
Motel 6 also welcomes dogs with no extra fees. Didn't know about LaQuinta...will store that in the ole' memory bank. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,453,184 times
Super 8 allows dogs too.

We don't travel far with our dog, but we got her one of these for her when we take her out and about around town. She loves riding in her Fido Rido!

Home

Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,964,495 times
we stayed in a days inn during our WI to SC move; for us it was tougher though finding a hotel that took dogs PLUS where we could park a big truck and a suv w/ boat as well....
I found a site before that you could search for hotels that accepted pets; can't find the link yet but i know it's out there!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 PM

288 posts, read 915,389 times
Another way I utilize with my dogs on occasion...unless city ordinances forbid it, Wal-Mart welcomes overnight parking. I just fold down the back seats, move trunk contents to front seats, and we snuggle up in the back of the car. Then again, my dogs are small and I'm only one person, so it's possible.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Motel 6 also welcomes dogs with no extra fees. Didn't know about LaQuinta...will store that in the ole' memory bank. Thanks!
They accept one pet and there is a fee, I think ten dollars, for the second. They are in an open area and its easy to take the dog out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues