U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 PM

288 posts, read 831,840 times

Advertisements

nightbird, you are talking about LaQuinta, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,188,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Another way I utilize with my dogs on occasion...unless city ordinances forbid it, Wal-Mart welcomes overnight parking. I just fold down the back seats, move trunk contents to front seats, and we snuggle up in the back of the car. Then again, my dogs are small and I'm only one person, so it's possible.

I would recommend before parking overnight on a Walmart lot, get permission from store management first and find out where they prefer you to park on the lot. Parking at a SuperCenter would be your best bet.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,182,765 times
Some useful sites:

petswelcome.com
Pet Friendly Hotels and Motels Only
PET FRIENDLY HOTELS AND PET FRIENDLY TRAVEL

If you have a AAA membership, you can pick up one of their travel books by state which will list hotels that accept pets - you can also accomplish this on their website. If you have a gps in your car, it will also provide you with this information. And, last but not least, if you have a cell phone with web access you can search this way, too.

Happy travels!!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:18 PM

I've never asked. I just park on the side where all the truckers park. By the time I'm pulling in, it's about 12:30 am and I'm much too tired to go hunt down a manager. I also rather doubt that the manager wants to be bothered with random people asking for permission to do what Wal-Mart allows. I do make sure that when I go inside in the morning to use the bathroom that I buy something. I'm generally long gone by 6 am.

EDIT: I realize that asking permission would be the polite thing to do. Guess I'm just not at my best when exhausted from traveling. Hopefully the buying something in the morning makes up for my lack of manners.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I've never asked. I just park on the side where all the truckers park. By the time I'm pulling in, it's about 12:30 am and I'm much too tired to go hunt down a manager. I also rather doubt that the manager wants to be bothered with random people asking for permission to do what Wal-Mart allows. I do make sure that when I go inside in the morning to use the bathroom that I buy something. I'm generally long gone by 6 am.

EDIT: I realize that asking permission would be the polite thing to do. Guess I'm just not at my best when exhausted from traveling. Hopefully the buying something in the morning makes up for my lack of manners.

The reason I mentioned you ask permission first is that the guy who used to manage the Walmart store I work (the store is directly off of I-95) at would call the cops if he saw a recreational vehicle parked on our store lot for more than 2 hours. If the owner of the RV was not present the RV would be ticketed. The manager we have now does not do that. It's really a hit or miss thing whether it's okay or not to park on a Walmart lot.

And sure, buying something from the Walmart where you spent the night is a nice thing to do.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Ah, well, I'm not in an RV. Just in a plain ole car. Fairly unnoticeable especially as I'm parked well behind all the semis.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM

That's right, you did say you were in a car, didn't you.

In that case you should be fine.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:00 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
Quote:
nightbird, you are talking about LaQuinta, right?
I've never stayed at LaQuinta. I was talking about Motel 6. If a budget is a consideration, they are much less than the higher end motels, and if your not going to be there that long it depends on your budget.

I believe we stayed at Comfort Inn on our way to Oklahoma. One of the drivers needed a secured internet connection for work so we ended up there. It too was very nice.

Check with the chains to see what they charge for more than one pet. Some may not.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 AM

The Motel 6s I've stayed at had no limit on pets and no charges at all for pets. I guess it varies.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM

83 posts, read 451,954 times
Glad I found this thread.

I am moving from Wa to Az in July. I will have my dog and two cats. I planned on crating cats together in my large crate with the litter box, beds and food/water. I never heard of disposable litter boxes, hope I can find some at walmat. I was dreading trying to maintain that! Although I am imagining them both being so stressed that they wont eat or go. One of them is 17yrs old. I never considered letting them out of the crate in hotel at night, the dog chases them and my old cat gets lost when we move. I almost want to lock her in the crate so I don't worry.

And I am worried about the temps in the car. It will be hot weather. Any tips on keeping them cool? I am sure there will be times that I have to leave them in car for potty/food break for me. Do you think ice packs/like frozen water bottles would be enough? The heat is my main concern. Well...concern about the cats that is. I'm sure I'll be stressing about many other things too!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues