Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

185 posts, read 991,933 times

Advertisements

i've done this with our 5 cats. within 3 hours one of them usually the same one will go in the carrier. and they are too freaked out to use the litterbox while traveling. so upon reaching our destination, all the cats are let loose and shown the litterbox at the same time.

except for the cat that went in his carrier - that "lucky" cat, gets a bubble bath of johnson&johnson's no tears baby shampoo in the bathroom sink and then gets to experience the hairdryer. he actually doesn't mind having his hair blown dry. the bath - well that's another story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
Flying her is no option due to danger of heat exposure in cargo of plane...so we don't consider that an option.

Most airlines allow cats and small dogs in the cabin. The only exception I know of is Southwest. My sister flew her cat (now my cat) from Atlanta to Boston on Continental. She had to get a soft-sided carrier and pay a "pet fare." She didn't use the box or pee at all (too nervous).

Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,111 times
I live in California and will be moving to Texas in July by car with my 5 cats. I'm also really nervous about this trip, I was wondering how you find pet friendly motels along the way. Also is there a limit to how much you should drive a day?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
Talking Can you travel comfortably in a moving vehicle with two cats?

In the spirit of discussing pet and travel, I would add to the dog questions with cat travel since I'm not receiving any feedback in the cat forum right now and was curious as to what you guys would say:

So, you are moving across country with two cats. If I choose to drive myself and all my belongings, this means using a moving vehicle. What if I pull my car on a trailer and keep the cats with me. Is the vehicle cab roomy enough for me and two cats to travel across country? I see lots and lots of meds and defusers for my cats on this one.

I thought also that if I bought some good quality travel carriers. (granted, I'd have someone fly with me so each cat would safely under our seats). I could fly with them, but that's still an all day trip for them stuck in a carrier (one or two hours min for waiting for plane, one hour to depart, 4 hours to fly, one hour to get picked up and taken to destination. This is random numbers for wait and depart with the wait time on the terminal)

The other thread on this spoke of meds and relaxers so I'm not asking about that. I just wondered what people know about the travel part.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
YES you can!

In the summer of 2006 we drove from Virginia Beach to Prescott, AZ in 4 days, averaging about 600 miles a day. We had two cats, each in their own carriers. They did much better than we ever imagined. We didn't give them any relaxers. We only fed them at the end of the days drive. In the morning the female cat would start meowing after approx 50 miles of driving. We'd stop the car, put the cats on their cat leashes and let them take care of cat business. They were fine for the rest of the day.

blessings....Franco

Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
i dont know what to suggest. i didnt realize you could stow your cat under your seat on a plane? i thought they had to be in the luggage/cargo area underneath the plane. i drove from ohio to florida with my cat in an expensive soft sided and roomy carrier that i purchased specifically for his comfort. somewhere in kentucky i glanced down and saw my cat out of his carrier. this trip was during the summer and i had no air conditioning in the car and had to roll all the windows up so my cat wouldnt jump onto the freeway. i had to find another cat carrier asap, spied a walmart from the freeway, parked the car, ran like a maniac thru walmart, assembled the darn carrier in the checkout line as quickly as possible because i didnt want my cat to die of heat exhaustion since i had to keep the windows up. just make sure you stick with a sturdy carrier with a metal door (my cat chewed his way thru the screen door on this fancy carrier). cats will put up a fuss for the first few hours but then will sleep the rest of the way if youre lucky.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
It totally depend on your cat. I am taking my cat across country with me. I have a soft carrier for him to take him in and out of hotel rooms. Most of the time, I will let him roam loose in the car, so he can find a comfortable spot. He is microchipped and has a collar and tag. He is used to traveling but I'm going to see how it goes.

Greenie

Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I was reading somewhere a woman was taking her adopted cat home on a plane in the first class and how the cat howled the whole way. So, I figured putting small pets under the seat can be down with certain airlines.

Thanks for the advice. I know if I drove my car, I can easily figure out what to do. I was just wondering if I ended up driving a moving truck, how that would fair with two cats. My female stresses in teh car, but my male looks out the window calmly.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:03 PM

633 posts, read 2,540,836 times
I'm taking 6 cats from San Diego to Seattle here in a few weeks. We have two large dog kennels/carriers. I'm going to put down a vinyl table cloth in the back of my GMC Envoy and put the two carriers back there with 3 cats in each one. I'm only going to feed/water them and let them do their business at the end of the day. If I let them out, they will escape. Hopefully that will work. It will certainly be an adventure, nonetheless.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
I'm taking 6 cats from San Diego to Seattle here in a few weeks. We have two large dog kennels/carriers. I'm going to put down a vinyl table cloth in the back of my GMC Envoy and put the two carriers back there with 3 cats in each one. I'm only going to feed/water them and let them do their business at the end of the day. If I let them out, they will escape. Hopefully that will work. It will certainly be an adventure, nonetheless.
Bless your heart, moving with 6???? WOW! That's awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm really interested. Will you give them anything for the stress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues