U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times

Advertisements

What she said. Also if you cat wil take a leash like moine then never opoen the door with outt eh leash because many cats are loss like that.I use a large cariier;and take breaks with a littler box. Also vets can give ppils if the cat tends to get nervous and might vomit etc.All it does is relax them. Alos give it water on stops.Snacks are good for 20 hour trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,788,538 times
We drove our 2 cats from TX to CA, no problem. Like someone else said, use those disposable, pre filled litter boxes. And ALWAYS keep the cat on a leash/harness while in the car, you don't want kitty to get scared and bolt from the car. Have the cat wear the harness for awhile before the trip to get used to it.

If you chose to stay in a hotel overnight and can't find one that takes pets, just find one with outside corridiors, ask for a room in the back, away from traffic noise, then carry the cat in covered in something,you want a hotel where you can park in front of your room, so you don't have to parade your stuff through the lobby. We did that, worked fine.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,543,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
We drove our 2 cats from TX to CA, no problem. Like someone else said, use those disposable, pre filled litter boxes. And ALWAYS keep the cat on a leash/harness while in the car, you don't want kitty to get scared and bolt from the car. Have the cat wear the harness for awhile before the trip to get used to it.

If you chose to stay in a hotel overnight and can't find one that takes pets, just find one with outside corridiors, ask for a room in the back, away from traffic noise, then carry the cat in covered in something,you want a hotel where you can park in front of your room, so you don't have to parade your stuff through the lobby. We did that, worked fine.
Lots of motels and hotels take pets. Some charge but not all. If your going cheap, Motel 6 allows pets. As do many of the midrange places that are nicer.

Check out the other traveling/moving with cats threads. Lots of advise there.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,798,536 times
I made my own travel litter box with a tupperware/plastic bin and lid. One of the low ones that fits into the space of my backseat floor. Lined the area with plastic and open it for the cat to use while driving and cover with a lid when not in use. I travel with the cage but open the cage while we're on the road so the cat can walk around. She just looks out a little and will return to the cage to sleep.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 AM

2,502 posts, read 5,576,638 times
Hi everyone,

We are moving from NY to Missouri this November. We are going to be transporting two extra large dogs (male 120lbs, female 95 lbs) and two cats in my SUV. My husband will be driving his Ford F150, so he could possibly have one cat in a carrier in the seat next to him. I've been reading the thread and saw the great links for pet friendly hotels, but many of them seem to have weight/size limits on the dogs. Has anyone found a hotel chain that doesn't care about the size of the dogs? I'm not sure how many hours we will be driving, as we usually play it by ear, as to when we stop for the night. We usually drive 15 hours the first day, and 9 the second day, so it's only one overnight, usually in Indiana somewhere. I'm also not sure if the dogs would be able to be cooped up that long, even with frequent walks at rest stops. Has anyone had any experience with hotels/motels that take Xtra big dogs?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 PM

4,558 posts, read 12,104,595 times
We did nearly the same move back in 1997. Massachusetts to Eastern Missouri, with our 2 large dogs (German Shepherds, 95 and 85 pounds) and then back to New Hampshire 5 years later. The place that we stopped to sleep allowed dogs, but we um, well we snuck them in through the back door after we signed in, as so not to have any issues. Bad, I know... People get a bit loopy when they hear German Shepherds... Also, you might want to check out DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners website for ideas of places to consider stopping at.

Are the dogs traveling in crates, or will they be able to walk around the back of the SUV to stretch their feet? Are they seasoned travelers? You may want to see the vet for a (very) mild sedative if they stress during trips, or start taking them out now for short drives to get them used to it. We found that ours traveled very well and after the initial excitement of going for a ride, they settled down and slept for much of the journey. I think they probably had their KONG toys stuffed with peanut butter, raw apples and carrots to keep them busy... it was a loooong drive. I do remember that we only stopped to let them out to piddle when we stopped to go ourselves, and also when we stopped for lunch, dinner, etc. Enjoy the trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

We are moving from NY to Missouri this November. We are going to be transporting two extra large dogs (male 120lbs, female 95 lbs) and two cats in my SUV. My husband will be driving his Ford F150, so he could possibly have one cat in a carrier in the seat next to him. I've been reading the thread and saw the great links for pet friendly hotels, but many of them seem to have weight/size limits on the dogs. Has anyone found a hotel chain that doesn't care about the size of the dogs? I'm not sure how many hours we will be driving, as we usually play it by ear, as to when we stop for the night. We usually drive 15 hours the first day, and 9 the second day, so it's only one overnight, usually in Indiana somewhere. I'm also not sure if the dogs would be able to be cooped up that long, even with frequent walks at rest stops. Has anyone had any experience with hotels/motels that take Xtra big dogs?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 AM

4,130 posts, read 13,309,277 times
We looked for pet-friendly motels and it was fine, granted ours are small dogs but we got lucky and got a room 2-3 rooms from the back exit so there was no problem, we just discreetly walked them in the back (had to be careful though, there was broken glass etc). One of us was always with them as we didnt know how they'd react in a new situation w/ new smells and sounds, we didnt want any barking although we did have an ex-pen in the room for them w/ their bed so they w/b somewhat contained. We basically just stayed overnite, there may have been a continental breakfast in the AM that we went down separately for. Anyway, I'd prob. just assume if it's pet-friendly, it's pet-friendly and wouldn't worry about it, sometimes the less said the better.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Hi, I just wanted to post that I used the Petfriendly Hotels website, which was a big help, and then called directly to the hotels that accept pets to see who would take 2 xtra large dogs and 2 cats. I plotted potential places to stop for the night along Route 70, across a two state area. I hope we make it to either western Ohio or Indiana. We usually try to drive 15 hours the first day, and 7 hours the second day. The dogs will be free to stand and move around in the back of the SUV. We have one of those bar barriers. On short trips, the male dog always lies down right away, but the female dog stands up and looks out the side windows. I usually leave the leashes attached to their collars.

I didn't factor in the possibility of a bad snow storm, but will bring lots of dog and cat food with us, just in case. Maybe having a mild tranquilizer for both the dogs and cats would be a good idea. It's bothersome to have whining and meowing going on for hours. It gets under my skin, just like listening to a baby crying--I want to fix the problem and make it okay.

When you get to the hotel at night, do you let the cats have free roam of the room, or do you close them in the bathroom, or? I've never seen disposable litter boxes, but will look for them, that's a great suggestion. Do you let the cats use the litter boxes en route? If so, how do you do this? I'm planning on keeping them in their carriers, with a little time out for petting, and a change of scenary, and to eat and drink.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,046,558 times
I've driven to FL and back with 5 cats and 2 dogs. One dog was about 60 pounds, the other, a chihuahua. It went very well. I used Comfort Inns, not the nicest motels, but they're good about pets. Park in the back, as someone here said and near your room. Just be discreet, keep the dogs quiet and leave early in the a.m. I never confined the cats. For driving, I had two gigantic dog crates and put 2 cats in each one and 1 cat had her own small carrier. When we pulled in to the motel, they ate & used the litterbox in the motel room and they were fine. I would try not to leave them alone. They were great.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks doghead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues