U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM

648 posts, read 2,682,924 times

Advertisements

thank you chero. the dogs ride in the car fine but i was thinking of buying them booties to wear so they don't scratch up the interior! you mentioned covering the birds. have you traveled with birds??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 36,803 times
Hi there...no I have not traveled with birds, but have a friend who has.

Its best to cover the cage as it puts the birds in a sleep state. My friend used to cover her bird cage to quiet down the birds if they were noisy.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM

boy do i know that trick! lol i have a conure and when he gets too vocal i just cover him up for a little while and he quiets right down i will have covers for them to keep the trip somewhat normal for them because half of their cages are always covered at home.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:54 PM

206 posts, read 1,043,368 times
As someone else said ... talk to your vet about a mild sedative if your dogs get antsy in the car. I would be concerned with such a long drive. There are many herbals and such that you can use for this too. So check into that.

Go to http://www.dogfriendly.com/ they have a ton of information about dog friendly places like parks, hotels etc. You'll need to find these kinds of places on your trip.

Make sure you have plenty of entertainment for your dogs. You didn't say if they were big or small, but some toys, chewy things etc... to keep them occupied.

Don't forget to bring along some doggie doo bags, paper towels, portable water and food containers etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM

thank you for the dog friendly link. i have medium size dogs and they have taken the trip from phoenix to flagstaff a few times, about a 4 hour drive one way without getting out along the way and they were fine. i think if they get antsy, we'll stop and walk them. i'll probably need to stop and walk myself!! thanks for the info!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,892,365 times
I've traveled several times with my African Grey and I never cover her. I put a towel on the headrest of the passenger seat, and she rides there the whole way. She loves it, because she can look out the windows and talk to me. For the dog, well...just roll down the window enough that she can get her face out, and she's happy as a clam for hours on end.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:39 PM

thanks roaminred. i appreciate hearing people's similar experiences. our trip might be a little comical! i'll probably be driving my vw beetle with one dog in the back seat and the birds in the front. my son will take the other dog in the moving truck. should be fun

Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,892,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
thanks roaminred. i appreciate hearing people's similar experiences. our trip might be a little comical! i'll probably be driving my vw beetle with one dog in the back seat and the birds in the front. my son will take the other dog in the moving truck. should be fun
You should see the reactions from other drivers when they see the bird "flying" on the headrest. She's such a goofball; she'll stretch out her neck and put her head down and spread her wings out as if she's imagining that she's flying down the highway at 70mph yelling "Wheeeee!". Or else she'll do the side-stepping dance back and forth while chanting "Let's go let's go let's go let's go! I'm a good girl let's go!"

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 AM

lol how fun! what a cutie!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 AM
miu

17,144 posts, read 34,638,441 times
Instead of dog booties (your dogs will actually wear them!) why not cover your back seat with a blanket or a special doggie seat cover. Best yet is to crate your dogs for safety. Make sure that all your pets are id tagged properly should any of them get loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues