U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times

Advertisements

We just traveled halfway across the country with a Senegal parrot and a cat. We got him a medium pet carrier with water and food and some of the toys he was used to having in his cage. We put him in there for a few hours a day for 2 or 3 days before heading out. He made it through just fine and never had any panic attacks or anything. We provided no covers or anything! He made it better than the cat! I was really horribly worried about the whole thing but he amazed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 629,909 times
Hey all...curious about details about traveling cross country with a cat. We have a dog who is a good traveler, but I am not sure we can deal with the cats for our trip...CA to TN. We thought of flying them out...but don't like that option either...sigh.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM

648 posts, read 2,682,719 times
if i still had my cat i would take some practice runs around town with him. i'd buy him a small but appropriate size cage and make it comfy with cushions for him to ride in. if the practice runs around town went ok, i would feel comfortable embarking on my trip with him. if they didn't, i'd ask my vet for a sedative and again give this a practice run too. my kitty hated riding in the car to go to the vet. he cried a lot and it was a short ride!! best wishes!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,911 times
Traveled with 3 dogs From Mass. to Georgia, all ages in a toyota camry, loved it, just make sure you take plenty of breaks for walks and food/water. I will be doing it agin this time from Georgia to Florida with 4 dogs. Easy if you just stop every few hours for their needs.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:35 AM

7,283 posts, read 17,246,558 times
We travel back and forth from Texas to NM with my dog. At first I was worried that she would not like the trip, get sick or whatever. She loves it. She either sleeps most of the way or looks out the window.
I also have a conure (parrot) that likes to ride. We are eventually moving to NM so we take him for short rides sometimes to get him used to riding. We haven't covered him up. He does get pretty vocal but not in the car, so far.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 476,100 times
We moved from Indianapolis to Houston with two cats. Neither of our cats travel well. My hubby drove the U-Haul and towed his car, while I drove my car with the cats. I had a Buick at the time. It was a bit bigger than your Malibu, but not as roomy as an SUV. However, we put everything in the U-Haul and the car that was towed so that the cats would have a bunch of room in the Buick. We did it in two days because we really wanted to get the torture over with as quick as possible (for all four of us). The drive took us about 20 hours due to the U-Haul.

I moved the passenger seat way up, and put the litter box behind it. I also think we put some food and water out (can't remember it was about 6 years ago). Neither of the cats do well in carriers, so we let them roam free. Our cats do this "death cry" as I call it when they travel (e.g. when going to the vet). That only lasted the first 30 minutes or so. Also in the first 30 minutes, they threw up and one had that nervous diarrhea (oh...the smell). So, we had to stop to clean that up but after that it was smooth driving. We might be making another long move this summer, so I don't look forward to it...but I know we will survive. In the past 6 years, we lost one of our cats due to cancer. We ended up getting another cat because it seemed that Mowee missed her sister and needed a companion. Well...we guessed wrong. Mowee and Simon (new cat) hate each other. After 3 years, they are finally learning to "tolerate" each other's company. Simon actually does better in a carrier. So, I think for our move we will put Simon in his carrier and let Mowee roam free. Not sure if that will work, but he does better in one and she does worse. Anyway, I digress. Hope your move goes well!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 AM

648 posts, read 2,682,719 times
all the positive posts here makes me feel confident that our trip will go well also!! yippie!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,963 times
I'm dreading moving with 2 cats that hate each other to the point of drawing blood. 2 cars is not an option for me. I think stopping at night will be the hardest. They can be separated while driving, but at night...

I wouldn't even think of flying them. Flying is horrible enough without dragging unhappy cats along.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM

43 posts, read 476,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm dreading moving with 2 cats that hate each other to the point of drawing blood. 2 cars is not an option for me. I think stopping at night will be the hardest. They can be separated while driving, but at night...

I wouldn't even think of flying them. Flying is horrible enough without dragging unhappy cats along.
If you bring two litter pans and two sets of food/water dishes you can put one in the hotel bathroom and let the other one stay in the room if you stop for the night. Mowee and Simon use to draw blood from each other, so I can feel your pain. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM

4,558 posts, read 12,104,595 times
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to make sure that you don't drastically change your dog and birds food and water too quickly. Be sure to fill a couple gallon jugs (at least) of the water they are used to for the trip, and slowly introduce them to the new stuff once you're in your new surroundings.

I had a problem when I moved from Massachusetts to St. Louis in finding food for one of my dogs. Luckily we knew that ahead of time, and I bought a couple of 40# bags with me, and was able to change her over slowly once I found a similar food. This might not be so much of an issue if you feed a national brand, but be aware that sometimes the same food manufactured by the same company might be sold under a different name east or west of the Mississippi. This is true of human food as well as pet foods....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues