Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,828 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im new to this forum- found it through google.
I've seen the older threads about airline service regarding animal transport..
I will be moving to Toulouse, France in about a month and am wondering if anyone could please share their flying-with-my-dear-pet experiences.

So far I'm mainly considering British airways, but there is no way fo me to get to carry my cat in the cabin, but rather as luggage which I dont like- but they promise me the best service and require me to have all the safety carrier things.. but still.

I'm also stressing abou the paperwork, I have just gotten vaccined and microchipped (well not me, my cat >.<), filled out the international health certificate, the bilingual one also- which I will get endorsed by the USDA sometime next week. But then my vet started setting doubts into me asking if I made sure I don't need anything else- I was told that all I need is a 15 digit ISO chip and an up to date rabies vaccine. I haven't gotten treated for ticks, didn't do a blood test and another treatment with a really long name- As these are only needed for certain countries and U.S isn't one of them.

Sorry for the long post but I have never transported an animal before, and my cat is very important to me- there is no way I would leave her behind.

I appreciate any input, thank you very much

P.S: sorry if this is the wrong place for the thread also, please move it to the appropriate one if that is the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,721 times
Just tried a quick Google for your question, and didn't see anything different. I know some countries require an imported dog (other animals?) to be quarantined for a period, anywhere from a week to a month, but think there are ways to minimize that such as you are doing.

Best recommendation I found was to try and contact the French embassy and check with them. Best of luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Did you get a feline leukemia test?

I did find this:

Air Animal
This is a pet mover company.
Transporting animals to EU countries
I am not sure the above link offers you any information you did not already know.
I agree that calling the embassy is probably your best bet, if you can just get a hold of someone.
But once you get over there and show all the documentation, I would think they would let your kitty in.
Good luck! Toulouse is such a beautiful city.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Try this website:
Americans in Toulouse - Home
On the left side of the home page is a section about pets. I don't think that France requires arriving animals to be quarantined.
This site may be very helpful because they are based in Toulouse.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,828 times
Thank you very much everyone! I found the information very helpful and really appreciate it.
After cheking with the embassy and the websites it seems I have everything right, and "extra" feline vaccinations. Quarantine-free entry, even if travelling through UK,- isn't that great! I hope everything will be well and there will only be a handful of easy steps to complete before I can move

Thank you again, happy friday

Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Pye

67 posts, read 188,247 times
Be careful about the UK. They have relaxed quarantine rules for animals coming into the UK from Continental Europe (you still need to have quite complicated paperwork done, tests performed on the effectiveness of the rabies vaccination, a health certificate not more than 24 hours old) but I doubt that for animals arriving from the States, these rules have been changed and you could end up with a cat in quarantine for 6 months! If the animal is merely in transit at the airport through the UK, I think you are OK.

France is easier. I think the rules are obtained from the airport at which you are arriving (and also from the airline you're flying with).

British Airways does (unlike some other airlines) have a good reputation for care when transporting animals. There was a famous story a number of years back when during a transatlantic flight the pilot came on the loudspeaker to announce there was a problem with the heating in the baggage hold and a dog being carried there would die if they continued the trip. He allowed the passengers to express their views and they all voted to return to London so the dog wouldn't die! That would NOT happen with Southern Europe, Eastern European, etc. airlines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues