U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 PM

110 posts, read 421,839 times

Advertisements

I'm moving this summer from Oregon to Texas. We'll be in a mid-sized Toyota. We have a cat and obviously we will be taking her in the car with us. (Flying her is no option due to danger of heat exposure in cargo of plane...so we don't consider that an option.)

So far, our plan is to keep her in roomy crate in the back seat and cover part of it with a towel so she feels like she isn't exposed too much. We are taking her litterbox and food for the hotels. But the part we cannot figure out is potty breaks. I heard one suggestion of putting her in a harness and taking her to grassy areas along the road. But I don't think she would do anything but freak out in that situation. Litterbox in the car might be the best option.

I'd also like to hear any advice about dealing with cats in strange hotels.

Anyway...just curious to hear what others out there have done. This is my son's cat and he adores her! We want to make sure we get her there safely but not make ourselves crazy!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,107 times
We recently moved from MD to MA with our cats. I found lots of hotels that would accept cats, and we chose one. While we were driving, the poor cats were confined to the crate, which they obviously didn't like, but after meowing for a while, they were ok. I let them out every few hours to use a littler box we had brought along and it all worked out fine, they used it. You might want to try getting some rescue remedy for animals in a health food store, a friend gave us some and it seemed to help.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,651,948 times
I have been told, cats will just hold it for the day. Let them eat/drink in the PM only, when you stop, then take the food/water away at bedtime. Set a litter pan up in the hotel room ASAP and let it be the last thing you pack up. In the AM they go in the car and they will hold it until you stop in the evening again. My cat would go bonkers if I put her in a harness.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 PM

668 posts, read 2,460,472 times
I've driven from CA to MA w/ 2 cats. Then from MA to TX with only one. My experience was that my boys just held it in all day. No way would they go at a rest stop. I still kept the litter box in the car, "just in case" but it was never used. Just get it out when you get to your hotel room and give the kitty some privacy. A crate is a good idea, especially if the cat is nervous in the car. What I did though, was put my cats in the back of my SUV, on their kitty beds, and harnassed them so they could not escape when we stopped. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:49 PM

625 posts, read 1,562,032 times
We took two cats from WI to Cali. They were in their cages for the entire trip without any peepee (PG-13?) accidents. They just hold it, Their bodies just tend to slow down. You can also try an herbal product called rescue remedy. It comes as a liqued with a little dropper. Its supposed calm nerves. You can get at any health foods store such as Whole Foods.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 PM

154 posts, read 642,088 times
i have no real advice, but good luck!! it's tough as hell. we did it with my cat when we moved from FL to the north, and my cat had a meltdown (she wasn't the only one)... the best part will be the hotel, she should be much more relaxed there, no matter what. my cat was in a U-haul in the front seat for 2 days, so she really enjoyed the hotel immensely.

again, good luck!! it's tough but it'll be over before she knows it!!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 AM

110 posts, read 421,839 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'm so glad others have been through it and survived! Glad to hear hotels are kitty-friendly!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM

300 posts, read 1,746,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
I'm moving this summer from Oregon to Texas. We'll be in a mid-sized Toyota. We have a cat and obviously we will be taking her in the car with us. (Flying her is no option due to danger of heat exposure in cargo of plane...so we don't consider that an option.)

So far, our plan is to keep her in roomy crate in the back seat and cover part of it with a towel so she feels like she isn't exposed too much. We are taking her litterbox and food for the hotels. But the part we cannot figure out is potty breaks. I heard one suggestion of putting her in a harness and taking her to grassy areas along the road. But I don't think she would do anything but freak out in that situation. Litterbox in the car might be the best option.

I'd also like to hear any advice about dealing with cats in strange hotels.

Anyway...just curious to hear what others out there have done. This is my son's cat and he adores her! We want to make sure we get her there safely but not make ourselves crazy!

Thank you!
In 1991, I drove across country from Philadelphia to the SF Bay Area alone except for my cat. I purchased a crate and put the cat in it to keep her from running loose around the car. I bought a harness to which I attached a leash and would stop during the day and walk the cat so that she could go to the bathroom I drove about 8-9 hours a day and stopped once so to re-fuel, take a break and walk the cat. Each evening, I checked into a motel whose doors opened to the outside so that I didn't have to bring the cat through the lobby.
I carried a litter box, cat food and water that I brought into the motel each evening. In the morning I would pack up the cat's belongings, put them and the cat in the car and repeat the process. After the second day of traveling, the cat got used to the routine and the rest of the trip was much easier than it was at the beginning.

Two years ago, my spouse and I took our cat to Toronto, Canada. This time, I took her on the plane inside the cabin. For a fee, most airlines will let you take a small dog or cat in the cabin as long as the animal is in an escape proof carrier that fits under the seat. We paid 50.00 each way for the cat from SF to Toronto. However, you must book in advance as the number of animals who can ride in the cabin is restricted. For the plane trip we took the cat to the vet who prescribed a sedative to calm the cat. We also purchased a cat walking vest so that we could attach a leash and walk the cat around outside when we had a layover at the airport. Last we bought something called Feliway that can be sprayed on a blanket or inside the carrier that soothes and calms the cat. Our cat had no difficulty going to Toronto, but was a bit nervous on the return trip due largely to the air turbulence we experienced. But the Feliway did have a bit of a calming effect. Good luck. It can be done.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:22 PM

300 posts, read 1,746,049 times
I forgot to say that I was driving a Volkswagen Fox Sedan.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 PM

612 posts, read 2,544,584 times
I've done a couple of cross countrys with my cats and they never <<went>> in the car. I used a crate to get them in and out but let them hang out the rest of the time. One hid and the other sat on my lap. It was a MUCH easier trip than moving my dogs even when they were sedated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues