U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Thanks for the information. I will keep that in mind. I think i will be more than 25 boxes though.
If you're doing all of your own packing, start as early as you can, it takes time to do it right.

Be ruthless about getting rid of stuff you haven't used in ages.

IMO yard sales suck, people don't want to pay anything, just donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army or ARC. Or give it away on Freecycle.org and perhaps get good clean heavy duty moving boxes for free from Freecycle.org or Craigslist.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 PM

448 posts, read 741,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you're doing all of your own packing, start as early as you can, it takes time to do it right.

Be ruthless about getting rid of stuff you haven't used in ages.

IMO yard sales suck, people don't want to pay anything, just donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army or ARC. Or give it away on Freecycle.org and perhaps get good clean heavy duty moving boxes for free from Freecycle.org or Craigslist.
I agree with you regarding yard sales, we had one back in August when we were moving from the house to an apartment. I could not believe the haggling about prices, it just irked me to know end. I have already started weeding things out. As I pan around the apartment, I know there are things that won't be going. I have not heard about freecycle until I read this thread, I will definitely look into them.

I love this site, great advice.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Last year full service movers started issuing booking restrictions in early April to potential customers who wanted to move during the traditional peak moving season which begins in mid May and extends until the end of August. The same thing is expected this year.

The cost estimates provided by most of the major full-service household goods carriers are generally only good for 30-60 days. Most salespeople, however, routinely update them if your schedule requires it

There are fewer van line agents and independent movers serving Arizona due to attrition and consolidation in the industry during the last five years.

It you only plan on shipping a small amount, your transit time will take a lot longer depending on the company's capacity and pricing options you select.
Thanks for the information. We are going to NC during spring break second week in March to look for places. I was planning on calling places when we returned but I was worried about if it was too soon. My contract with work doesn't end until June 7. I was planning on moving June 20th or there abouts. When do you suggest I start contacting people. Would mid-March be too early?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Will they ship Rubbermaid totes?
I was thinking about that on the way home from church today, I would guess not. But who knows.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,472,426 times
One consideration with furnature is how easy is it to replace where you're moving. I moved from socal where replacements would be easy and cheap. I moved to an area where nicer furnature is usually used until its seen its best, and the abundant thrift stores and yard sales are simply not there. I wish I HAD squeezed in the shelves I left since the reasonable price here is for the cheapo walmart pressboard versions.

If its going to cost a to replace something and you can store it flat in a van, it might be cheaper to bring it.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
1. Just put the totes in a box.
2. Garage sale...you just want the stuff gone, that is the mentality. Have someone else do it, like your kids. My kids just gave people boxes to fill, and would say, "okay, that looks like $20 of stuff" the person with the box would give them $10, and it was probably $150 worth of stuff. It is good I just worked on cleaning the house that day.
3. I have embraced minimalism. I don't need it. I can't take it with me. I am much happier with less stuff.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 AM

4,276 posts, read 6,561,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
2. Garage sale...you just want the stuff gone, that is the mentality. Have someone else do it, like your kids. My kids just gave people boxes to fill, and would say, "okay, that looks like $20 of stuff" the person with the box would give them $10, and it was probably $150 worth of stuff. It is good I just worked on cleaning the house that day.
That's a good idea to have someone else do it for you. If you are concerned about the money, you can always have them mail you a check once the sale is finished.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
1. Just put the totes in a box.
3. I have embraced minimalism. I don't need it. I can't take it with me. I am much happier with less stuff.

I won't be doing a garage sale this time. I will post on Craigslist or another similar site and whatever is left, I will give to Good Will. Jasper, how large were the boxes you shipped via UPS? You have really got me thinking.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
One may ship fairly large boxes by UPS, they have a freight division too.

Look at the Uline catalog for ideas on boxes, which come in so many varieties it boggles the mind. I ordered about 250 boxes from them when we moved in 2005, they were delivered via a semi-truck in few days. They were flat of course, but the stack was a good six feet high. I still ended up buying more boxes locally for mirrors and framed artwork. I had no damage, save for one wine glass that I did not wrap before putting it into the "glass-pack" carton as I thought the cardboard cubbyholes would protect them - it did for dozens of other glasses, but one broke. I got a 65% discount on the move for doing my own packing, but United still filled 60% of a 53-feet semi with our stuff.

I had a lot of those plastic bins with the folding tops, the bins held files of various sorts and collections of antique magazines. Uline has box sizes where all I had to do was set my bins inside the cartons and tape them up. None of the bins suffered any damage.

If you have very good items to ship, buy good boxes and wrapping paper as needed. You can sometimes get free boxes, peanuts and wrapping paper on Craigslist or your local freecycle.org list.

If you see a moving van in your area, bringing people in, ask the new arrival for any boxes. Sometimes you can drive around and find 20-30 of them sitting at a curb for anyone who wants to cut them down and take them away. In areas with a lot of high-rises, always check the freight docks around the end/first of the month for good clean used boxes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 734 times
Default Help- do we take our expensive furniture or let it go for less than its worth

Our furniture is very high end. Heavy dark wood. Dining set and 6 chairs cost us 14k. Custom Breakfront cost 11k. I've been trying to sell these pieces for several years. We sold our large home , and stayed locally. We were able to sell our less expensive furnishings, but hung on to the costly ones. Now we are moving across country. My husbands company is not paying for relo, only our Airfare for family of 3. We only have two weeks to move. I have decided to go with an Estate Sale expert ( I've done this before and had many garage sales) . If we can net over 3k ( after split with ES expert) we will be thrilled . But what if this doesn't happen? Should we move again with our expensive furniture or settle for selling it all for 2k. We will still be sending 3 cars ( will cost 1,200 each) which we plan on packing to capacity so we may only have a few boxes to ship, and suitcases for the plane. We do want to lighten our load , but still breaks our hearts to"give " our furnishings for way less than they are worth .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues