U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,262,836 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a car shipping service in their move? I am looking for recommendations if anyone has experience with this. Thanks ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:56 AM

19 posts, read 98,634 times
There is a website where previous customers of the auto transport industry comment on their own experiences. The website is Transport Reviews.

I usually read the rebuttals to any negative criticism. It usually gives a glimpse into the character of the people running the company.

Best of Luck.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM

19 posts, read 98,634 times
On that website I mentioned above, Transport Reviews, Ship Any Car was caught red-handed faking hundreds of reviews. Those fake reviews have since been removed, but I believe it speaks to the integrity of the men behind the company. I can't speak about your experience mike1975, but I'd be skeptical about anything on the web mentioning this company in a positive light.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
JH6

724 posts, read 1,480,580 times
I used carmoves.com three times and all three were fine. They outsource to private contractors. Make sure you have full insurance on the car and everything will be fine.

Two times from NY to Texas, once from Texas to NY.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

149 posts, read 183,302 times
One thing you might consider is where you are shipping from and to. Sometimes it can take a long time to ship a vehicle from one locale to the other and the might not be that 'far' away. I had a vehicle shipped from Dallas to Lubbock. By the time it took to get to Lubbock from Dallas I could have flown Southwest and picked it up.

There was another instance where I had a car shipped from New Jersey to Texas. It only took four days. One day shorter than getting the one shipped from Dallas to Lubbock.

Just be careful. Get a good time estimates and get more than three quotes. Throw out the most expensive and the cheapest.

A lot of the shippers are merely 'middle-folk' who farm out the transport to an independent driver. Sometimes the logistics don't work too well.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM

556 posts, read 942,213 times
hey wicked. i just had my car shipped last month. For me, i went to transportreviews.com and they have pretty much every shipping company you can name. and you can read all the reviews on each shipping company. i went with new way moving services. and they were ok when they shipped my car. The original price was $575 to ship my car from pa to minnesota. They took way too long to find a driver so i called and i paid an extra 150 to speed up the process. So that was my main issue was that it took almost 2-3 weeks for them to find a driver to pick up my car. that was torture because the rental car was not cheap. so if you dont mind waiting for your car to get picked up. then i would definitely go the shipping route. I have no complaints about the driver at all. he let me put stuff in the car. He was very generous. helped brush snow off and everything. I just hate these companies that take all day to find you a driver and yet they want a deposit up front.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,794,804 times
Car shipping can be like a roll of the dice. Many of the companies are just brokers who link customers up with a driver. The brokers may have good customer service, but the actual driver of the truck could be a different stroy.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 PM

966 posts, read 1,682,146 times
@ "daboy" - ouch! For that I wonder if it almost isn't worth just having someone drive the car and pay a couple of nights hotel and airfare back.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

3,270 posts, read 4,411,597 times
DAS - Dependable Auto Shippers. I have used them twice. Couldn't have asked for a better company to ship my cars and are very competitively priced.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM

556 posts, read 942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
@ "daboy" - ouch! For that I wonder if it almost isn't worth just having someone drive the car and pay a couple of nights hotel and airfare back.
actually 700 was not a bad rate to ship the car from pa to minnesota. of course i would have preferred to pay the regular 575. but i just wish i had my car sooner so i didnt have to pay for the rental. the rental was the real killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues