Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 PM

372 posts, read 533,673 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'll be driving a 26ft moving truck from LA to MD in about a month.

I'm planning to take 40 to 81 to 66 to 50, because it appears to be a straight shot across.

From those of you who have driven it:

What's it like? How many lanes?

It is a major freeway, or a smaller one?

Do you think that there will be a lot of traffic over the Labor Day weekend?

Are there plenty of motels along the way?

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:02 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I've driven I-40 before, and it was fine. You'll definitely find plenty of motels along the way.

If you don't already belong to AAA you should consider joining. They'll give you detailed road maps, and your membership will get you discounts on the truck rental as well as accomodations along the way.

Best of luck on the journey!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
You'll be fine on I-40 this time of year. There's plenty of places to stop and lots of motels along the whole route (except between Barstow and Needles.)

But, you've got a lot of climbing to do, so your rental truck will burn more fuel. However, by the time you reach Flagstaff, AZ, the hard climbs are over and it's pretty much free sailing from there on.

Take a closer look at the terminus of your trip, though, because I-66 ends where it turns into Constitution Avenue, which is US-50, but that'll put you driving right through the heart of Washington, alongside the Mall and past Capitol Hill. That's gonna be a tough row to hoe! I'd suggest taking I-495 around to the east side and picking up 50 again there. From that point to the Bay Bridge, it's all freeway.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
That's the route most truckers would follow. Expect congestion in and around cities. Stillkit is right, however. I-66 probably isn't the best way into DC. You might find this info helpful to figure out where the cone zones. National Traffic and Road Closure Information

Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
That's the route most truckers would follow. Expect congestion in and around cities. Stillkit is right, however. I-66 probably isn't the best way into DC. You might find this info helpful to figure out where the cone zones. National Traffic and Road Closure Information

When I drove a truck, I wouldn't go that way if I was leaving California heavily loaded, unless I had to. The pulls up Cajon and from the Colorado River to Williams, AZ were deal killers for me.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 PM

Default Re-route from LA? .... and Labor Day w/e travel advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When I drove a truck, I wouldn't go that way if I was leaving California heavily loaded, unless I had to. The pulls up Cajon and from the Colorado River to Williams, AZ were deal killers for me.
Which way would you go? I am leaving LA out of the 10.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I do have AAA, but they sent the wrong triptik.

I'll be sure to avoid the DC area and go around the beltway.

Any thoughts/advice about the Labor Day weekend travel?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Which way would you go? I am leaving LA out of the 10.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I do have AAA, but they sent the wrong triptik.

I'll be sure to avoid the DC area and go around the beltway.

Any thoughts/advice about the Labor Day weekend travel?

If time, mileage and expense were not an issue, I'd go I-10 to Kent, TX; I-20 to Dallas; I-30 to Little Rock; I-40 to Knoxville; I-81 to Winchester, VA; I-66 to the Beltway; North around DC to US-50. It's farther, but faster, if you're heavily laden. A good alternate would be I-20 to Birmingham, AL; I-59 to Chattanooga, TN; I-75 to Knoxville, then I-81 and beyond.

If not, I-40 is still your best bet, unless you're going to the lower East Shore of Maryland. Then, I'd stay on I-20 all the way to Florence, SC; north on I-95 to Emporia, VA; US-58 to I-64 west (Don't be concerned that you're actually going east); US-13 north across the Chesapeak Bay Bridge/Tunnel and into the East Shore.

But, I doubt your gross weight will be anywhere near 80,000 lbs (the legal limit for big trucks), so I-40 is still your best route.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Ok, thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
About four years ago we drove from DC to LA taking that route. We had no problems finding motels along the way.

And I agree with the others; 66 into DC isn't going to be fun. Even if you take the beltway plan for a lot of time spent in traffic, regardless of time of day. 66 sails along pretty well from Front Royal to about Manassas (or maybe a bit earlier; haven't lived out that way for awhile!) and then you hit NOVA traffic. Not a big deal, but build in a little time in your schedule for possible traffic delays.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Hello all,

I'll be driving a 26ft moving truck from LA to MD in about a month.

I'm planning to take 40 to 81 to 66 to 50, because it appears to be a straight shot across.

From those of you who have driven it:

What's it like? How many lanes?

It is a major freeway, or a smaller one?

Do you think that there will be a lot of traffic over the Labor Day weekend?

Are there plenty of motels along the way?

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.
The Interstates are all divided limited access highways. Get through cities like Alberquerque or Oklahoma City before you stop in the evening and then gas up before you check in. It will be rush hour when you hit the road.

Plenty Motels, not all clean. Flagstaff and Amarillo are good stops plenty of motels and resturants. A long empty stretch between OKC and Little Rock. West Memphis is good.

The DC area is a Traffic Disaster, I don't know where in Md you are going but if you can stay on 81 and skirt it do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues