U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM

584 posts, read 1,756,705 times

Advertisements

What major appliances do you take with you when you move vs. leaving for the new owner?

For instance....fridge, stove, dish washer, etc?

Also, do you leave up the shutters or blinds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 AM

49 posts, read 95,534 times
I just sold my house and left all the appliances. If they are older or you don't feel like moving them leave them.
the curtians or blinds need to stay.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
What major appliances do you take with you when you move vs. leaving for the new owner?

For instance....fridge, stove, dish washer, etc?

Also, do you leave up the shutters or blinds?
It's all negotiable. There is no one set rule.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM

14,176 posts, read 44,761,617 times
Typically the sales contract for the house will say what stays and what goes. For example a free-standing refrigerator typically does not stay with the house, but a built-in range does.

My first house I made the offer to include the 'fridge, it matched the other appliances, I didn't see the sense in the owner hauling it away...current house I paid the owner $75 to leave the existing free-standing range - good deal for both of us.

If you are moving yourself, by all means offer heavy stuff to the new owner.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Typically the sales contract for the house will say what stays and what goes. For example a free-standing refrigerator typically does not stay with the house, but a built-in range does.

My first house I made the offer to include the 'fridge, it matched the other appliances, I didn't see the sense in the owner hauling it away...current house I paid the owner $75 to leave the existing free-standing range - good deal for both of us.

If you are moving yourself, by all means offer heavy stuff to the new owner.
That has been my theory. The less stuff to move, the better.

Selling a house with the contingency that the stove and fridge stay usually increases the value and/or sellability of the house enough to offset the cost of buying new or used appliances once you've moved. Just last year I bought a like-new 19.3 cf fridge, for a rental house, for $200.00 on Craigslist. Hard to beat that.

You also have the potential to damage the appliances and/or the house when you're moving them.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM

376 posts, read 1,613,670 times
Mostly I leave all the appliances, but the sales contract customary for your area will specify. Once I took a dryer, but that was because it was only a few months old. I don't leave curtains, but if there are windowshade or blinds, I leave those. Also, just as a nicety, I put a new (inexpensive) shower curtain and rings in bathrooms, a package of toilet paper and a roll of paper towels in the kitchen. I don't put them up, just leave the packaged items in there, so new owners know they are new. I've moved a lot, so know how new owners would appreciate having those items in the house right away. Hey, pay it forward, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or